Misogyny a hate crime?

Re: Misogyny a hate crime?

Postby Wilson » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Wilson wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Wilson wrote:They were talking about this on the radio yesterday & they kept going on about "freedom of speech" which wound me up because hate crimes are nothing to do with political correctness or offending someone with your words. Hate crimes are criminal acts (mainly violence) committed on individuals because of their gender, race, religion, disability ect.

When did this country stop being able to discuss things properly?

The rise of social media and ban happy forum mods creating a cossetted world of 'safe spaces' etc.

I see more intelligent debate on Social media than I do on mainstream TV and radio tbh.
The radio station discussing this deliberately framed the topic of hate crime as a freedom of speech issue, then of course the calls and texts were all idiots banging on about PC Gone Mad etc. It's like they want us to be misinformed.

I think much depends on where you go. For example forum discussion on the Weinstein revelations went well for a while, then the radfems rocked up and anyone not 'convicting' men involved were automatically branded 'rape apologists' or 'misogynists'. Then it took a twist when some gay actor was alleged to have sexually assaulted another male actor, and a female actor who got intimate with an underage youth. That seemed to put the radfems in a bit of a quandary.

Some posts on a female actors Twitter feed vilifying men in the crudest terms imaginable and seething with hatred, yet that was 'ok'.

Yeah obviously the Internet is full of ridiculous opinions & discussions. It's easy to avoid them if you wish. Mainstream "reputable" media outlets should be informing us but instead they present controversial reactionaries to us as experts because they're good for ratings. The result is a nation of reactionaries who haven't a clue about anything.
Wilson

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs