I'm sure they were just trying to help.

I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Maddog » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm

The rough sleeper, known only as Kev, 66, was found dead under a flyover in a car park in Bournemouth, Dorset. The friend who discovered him said that just days earlier people from Bournemouth Borough Council ‘removed his sleeping bag and possessions’. The council has previously come under fire for playing bagpipe music to deter people from sleeping near the town’s bus and railway stations and buying one-way tickets for rough sleepers to leave the town. The unnamed friend, who had known Kev for 18 months, said: ‘I put my hand on him to shake him and that’s when I knew something was wrong and my heart sank. A friend said that his sleeping bag was taken by council workers just days before he died. A couple of weeks ago he said the council took his sleeping bag. They see it as rubbish but they don’t realise these are homeless people; sleeping bags are the stuff that keeps them warm.’


Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/23/homeless ... to=cbshare
User avatar
Maddog
 
Posts: 32444
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Happening in many places across the country sadly.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 5509
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Happening in many places across the country sadly.


All perfectly acceptable to many on the right wing of politics these days. The Tories and their supporters :shake head:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Grafenwalder » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Many sad cases which should be avoidable in this age. One that always sticks in my mind was this Iranian guy who lived in a car someone had given him. He held a degree in Quantum Physics, and was once shortlisted to work with Stephen Hawking.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/friendl ... er-1337398

http://www.yourharlow.com/2018/03/02/ho ... sses-away/
User avatar
Grafenwalder
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Maddog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Happening in many places across the country sadly.


All perfectly acceptable to many on the right wing of politics these days. The Tories and their supporters :shake head:



Are they? Some would consider me on the right as I would question how much government money should.be spent on these folks, but why take their stuff? Taking property isn't what I would call right wing.
User avatar
Maddog
 
Posts: 32444
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Fletch » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:42 pm

That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.
User avatar
Fletch
 
Posts: 10260
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby calitom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:50 pm

Fletch wrote:That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.


ridiculous comment. perpetuating the myth that the only people who 'care' are left wingers.
Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged.
you need to stop with the lying mindset.--Unless of course you were speaking tongue in cheek--in that case I apologize
User avatar
calitom
 
Posts: 3193
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Cannydc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:56 pm

calitom wrote:
Fletch wrote:That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.


ridiculous comment. perpetuating the myth that the only people who 'care' are left wingers.
Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged.
you need to stop with the lying mindset.--Unless of course you were speaking tongue in cheek--in that case I apologize



"Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged."

For one reason only. Let's not pretend it's sympathy, empathy or pity.

It's because they have been programmed from a very early age by the church that the only way to "heaven" is to undertake such tasks.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 12398
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Maddog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Fletch wrote:That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.



So conservatives want to take peoples stuff?
User avatar
Maddog
 
Posts: 32444
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Maddog » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Cannydc wrote:
calitom wrote:
Fletch wrote:That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.


ridiculous comment. perpetuating the myth that the only people who 'care' are left wingers.
Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged.
you need to stop with the lying mindset.--Unless of course you were speaking tongue in cheek--in that case I apologize



"Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged."

For one reason only. Let's not pretend it's sympathy, empathy or pity.

It's because they have been programmed from a very early age by the church that the only way to "heaven" is to undertake such tasks.



Protestants don't believe any amount of good works will get you into heaven. Catholics might still be a little different. It was one of the bones of contention between Luther and the church.

When my mom would translate books into brail, and sew things for the disadvantaged, she did it because she felt an obligation to her fellow man, who was less fortunate than her. She wasn't scoring brownie points to get into heaven.
User avatar
Maddog
 
Posts: 32444
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby calitom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Cannydc wrote:
calitom wrote:
Fletch wrote:That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.


ridiculous comment. perpetuating the myth that the only people who 'care' are left wingers.
Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged.
you need to stop with the lying mindset.--Unless of course you were speaking tongue in cheek--in that case I apologize



"Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged."

For one reason only. Let's not pretend it's sympathy, empathy or pity.

It's because they have been programmed from a very early age by the church that the only way to "heaven" is to undertake such tasks.


good works result from true faith. good works dont buy ones way into heaven because its all about the motivation....And one of the reasons that i believe that even those who are not necessarily
religious or outwardly confess their faith or who even necessarily believe in God ARE doing Gods will through goodness and self sacrifice. Even though I dont agree with your statement,your statement is the kind of straight forward one that allows civil discussion and enlightenment.
User avatar
calitom
 
Posts: 3193
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby calitom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:31 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
calitom wrote:
Fletch wrote:That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.


ridiculous comment. perpetuating the myth that the only people who 'care' are left wingers.
Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged.
you need to stop with the lying mindset.--Unless of course you were speaking tongue in cheek--in that case I apologize



"Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged."

For one reason only. Let's not pretend it's sympathy, empathy or pity.

It's because they have been programmed from a very early age by the church that the only way to "heaven" is to undertake such tasks.



Protestants don't believe any amount of good works will get you into heaven. Catholics might still be a little different. It was one of the bones of contention between Luther and the church.

When my mom would translate books into brail, and sew things for the disadvantaged, she did it because she felt an obligation to her fellow man, who was less fortunate than her. She wasn't scoring brownie points to get into heaven.


MD--its a complex discussion re works. Even the lutherans and baptists and evangelicals have their differences.catholics do not at all believe that you can buy your way into heaven by helping grandma across the street a certain amt of times. thats where the faith justified by works discussion comes into play. In reality--when the issue is discussed thoroughly there is ultimately little to no difference betw catholics and protestants on this issue.
User avatar
calitom
 
Posts: 3193
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:46 am

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Happening in many places across the country sadly.


All perfectly acceptable to many on the right wing of politics these days. The Tories and their supporters :shake head:





How fucking dumb are you! like homelessness was never a problem when you lefties are in power! :shake head:
It's politicians are the problem regardless of what side of the aisle they sit. But your bigoted narrow mindedness makes you no better than the people you claim to hate, ya fucking numpty.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Maddog » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Happening in many places across the country sadly.


All perfectly acceptable to many on the right wing of politics these days. The Tories and their supporters :shake head:





How fucking dumb are you! like homelessness was never a problem when you lefties are in power! :shake head:
It's politicians are the problem regardless of what side of the aisle they sit. But your bigoted narrow mindedness makes you no better than the people you claim to hate, ya fucking numpty.



Here is the thing about the homeless. They will always be with us. Unless you round them up and lock them up.

What many are missing on this thread, isn't about how to eradicate homelessness, but should the government be stealing their fucking sleeping bags? :dunno:
User avatar
Maddog
 
Posts: 32444
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 am

Re: I'm sure they were just trying to help.

Postby Fletch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

calitom wrote:
Fletch wrote:That's the Conservatives for you. Full on private everything means no safety net for the less advantaged and even deliberate targeting of them. Death is not an issue for Tories, in fact it is seen as as a solution in some right wing people's eyes.


ridiculous comment. perpetuating the myth that the only people who 'care' are left wingers.
Churches --which are predominantly filled with more conservative types--work tirelessly for the homeless and disadvantaged.
you need to stop with the lying mindset.--Unless of course you were speaking tongue in cheek--in that case I apologize


We generally don't do religion here Tom. It's an outdated concept and has no place in the modern world. Of course, it is still useful for conditioning the public...

No modern wealthy country should have it's citizens have to rely on charity when things go wrong. That is such a Victorian attitude that it's surprising people still use it as an answer.

Tory governments (here) have a long history of targeting the poor, sick and disabled. The current government more so than any other and it's creeping up the ladder now to working people and some what you would call middle class people. Neoliberalism is the root cause and has destroyed countries for the last 40 plus years. Reaganomics, trickle down, call it what you want, it was always designed to enrich the few at the expense of the rest.
User avatar
Fletch
 
Posts: 10260
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests