Merry Christmas!!!!

Re: Merry Christmas!!!!

Postby McAz » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:Whether or not a crime occurred is sorta getting out in the weeds. Toddlers lack the capacity to be charged, so it's sorta moot.

Even toddlers funded by the Russians. :more beer:

Do you have a legal "age of criminal responsibility" where you are, Maddy?

Sort a. But some of the "tough on crime" prosecutors will attempt to certify children as adults. I'm not a fan.

Here a child under 10 cannot be arrested or charged with a crime - but "social" measures can be used in some circumstances.
McAz

Postby Maddog » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:24 pm

McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:Whether or not a crime occurred is sorta getting out in the weeds. Toddlers lack the capacity to be charged, so it's sorta moot.

Sort a. But some of the "tough on crime" prosecutors will attempt to certify children as adults. I'm not a fan.

Here a child under 10 cannot be arrested or charged with a crime - but "social" measures can be used in some circumstances.

We may have something like that. I can't ever remember a child under about 12 being charged with anything. Their parents can be held civily responsible in some cases.
Maddog

Postby McAz » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:

We may have something like that. I can't ever remember a child under about 12 being charged with anything. Their parents can be held civily responsible in some cases.

We're more savage, if you're over 10 (but under 18) then tough - but they are tried in youth courts and sent to youth penal institutions where appropriate.
McAz

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:25 am

It's not moot because where there is no capacity there is no crime. That's absolutely fundamental to the justice system.

A crime requires two elements. The guilty act, or actus reus, is an illegal action or omission by the accused resulting in damage, loss or injury to a person or property. The guilty mind, or mens rea, is the knowledge that an action, or lack of action, will result in a guilty act, whether that act is voluntary or involuntary.

Postby Maddog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Guest wrote:

It's not moot because where there is no capacity there is no crime. That's absolutely fundamental to the justice system.

A crime requires two elements. The guilty act, or actus reus, is an illegal action or omission by the accused resulting in damage, loss or injury to a person or property. The guilty mind, or mens rea, is the knowledge that an action, or lack of action, will result in a guilty act, whether that act is voluntary or involuntary.

So when someone is found innocent by reason of insanity the premise of that innocence is based on a lack of capacity by the perpetrator. Is the victim in this case considered to be a victim of an accident?
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:42 pm

We're more savage, if you're over 10 (but under 18) then tough - but they are tried in youth courts and sent to youth penal institutions where appropriate.

Maybe not.

The Gainesville State School, a juvenile facility in a rural area 75 miles north of Dallas, is in crisis. Two personnel have been accused of physical violence against youth. Youth have reported that staff members paid them in drugs and money to attack other youth. At least four former staff members are facing prison time in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations. A female staff member is allegedly pregnant with a youthful offender’s child. And, in the span of one year, 160 employees at the facility have either quit or were fired.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20180126 ... ckup-sites
Maddog

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Maddog wrote:Although on second thought, allowing a toddler access to a gun often is a crime. Therefore, while the toddler has not committed a crime, in many cases, the owner of the firearm has, therefore a crime would have occurred.

That depends on the state - there are guns sold that are specifically for children and where there is no lower age limit is specified for gun ownership.

Of course attempts to rectify this were blocked by the Russians the NRA's political wing [tweet]stupid people[/tweet] freedom loving patriots who want to guard against government tyranny - and presumably bedtime

Postby Maddog » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Maddog wrote:Although on second thought, allowing a toddler access to a gun often is a crime. Therefore, while the toddler has not committed a crime, in many cases, the owner of the firearm has, therefore a crime would have occurred.

That depends on the state - there are guns sold that are specifically for children and where there is no lower age limit is specified for gun ownership.

Of course attempts to rectify this were blocked by the Russians the NRA's political wing [tweet]stupid people[/tweet] freedom loving patriots who want to guard against government tyranny - and presumably bedtime

Yeah, there are youth model guns. Their arms are a little short to handle the length of an adult rifle. There are even guns made more for women because they tend to be smaller than men and also have smaller hands.

But I've yet to see the toddler version of a 7mm mag deer rifle, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for when I have grandchildren. :thumbsup:
Maddog

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs