Re: General election imminent?

Postby LordRaven » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Wilson wrote:Breaking!
Jacob Reese Mogg's letter is going in. :cheers:

LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Cannydc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Michael Gove will ONLY become Theresa May's Brexit Secretary if he can renegotiate her deal and the November 25 EU summit is scrapped.

And he is STILL weighing up whether to quit Cabinet..

Meanwhile, here's Rees-Mogg's tirade.

The Rt. Hon. Sir Graham Brady, M.P.,

Chairman of the 1922 Committee,

House of Commons,

London, SW1A 0AA.

15th November 2018

A few weeks ago, in a conversation with the Chief Whip I expressed my concern that the Prime Minister, Mrs. Theresa May, was losing the confidence of Conservative Members of Parliament and that it would be in the interest of the Party and the country if she were to stand aside. I have wanted to avoid the disagreeable nature of a formal Vote of No Confidence with all the ill will that this risks engendering.

Regrettably, the draft Withdrawal Agreement presented to Parliament today has turned out to be worse than anticipated and fails to meet the promises given to the nation by the Prime Minister, either on her own account or on behalf of us all in the Conservative Party Manifesto.

That the Conservative and Unionist Party is proposing a Protocol which would create a different regulatory environment for an integral part of our country stands in contradistinction to our long-held principles. It is in opposition to the Prime Minister’s clear statements that this was something that no Prime Minister would ever do and raises questions in relation to Scotland that are open to exploitation by the Scottish National Party.

The 2017 Election Manifesto said that the United Kingdom would leave the Customs Union. It did not qualify this statement by saying that we could stay in it via a backstop while Annex 2, Article 3 explicitly says that we would have no authority to set our own tariffs. It is also harder to leave this backstop than it is to leave the EU, there is no provision equivalent to Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

As was made clear by a House of Lords report in March 2017 there is no legal obligation to pay anything. This has now become an extended period of negotiation which is a different matter.

The situation as regards the European Court of Justice appears to have wandered from the clear statement that we are taking back control of our laws. Article 174 makes this clear as does Article 89 in conjunction with Article 4.

It is of considerable importance that politicians stick to their commitments or do not make such commitments in the first place. Regrettably, this is not the situation, therefore, in accordance with the relevant rules and procedures of the Conservative Party and the 1922 Committee this is a formal letter of No Confidence in the Leader of the Party, the Rt. Hon. Theresa May.

I am copying this letter to the Prime Minister and the Chief Whip and although I understand that it is possible for the correspondence to remain confidential I shall be making it public.

Jacob Rees-Mogg
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Great day today.

Treeza knows the game is up, time to send in the men in grey suits to do what they did with She Who Cast No Shadow.

The end game for Brexit is underway.
Cannydc

Postby Maddog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Who knew breaking up with a fat chick that just used you for your money would be so difficult?

Can an entire country develop a form of Stockholm Syndrome.
Maddog

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Maddog wrote:Who knew breaking up with a fat chick that just used you for your money would be so difficult?

Yes, hopefully.
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Waiting to see what she has to say now, after mauling in HOC.

Due to make statement now....
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Aubrey Allegretti

"Just spoken to a Tory MP, not usual ERG suspect. They said "the damn has broken" and that the "vast majority" of those present at meeting earlier have handed in no confidence letters. "My guess is that the 48 are in."
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:04 pm

What PM could say (in order of likelihood)
A. I fight on. My deal is in national interest
B. Parliament must decide but I’ll give MPs a free vote (& hope that saves my deal)
C. Michael Gove, my new Brexit Sec, will re-negotiate my deal as it can’t command a majority
D. I quit

(Nick Robinson)
Cannydc

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:12 pm

A...

Seriously who is going to want to step into those shoes now?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Maddog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:16 pm

McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:Who knew breaking up with a fat chick that just used you for your money would be so difficult?

Yes, hopefully.

Doubtful. But if a little over 50% do, I guess it's possible to undo Brexit.

Why dont the powers that be just keep having elections until they get the result they want while pretending to honor the Democratic process?
Maddog

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:17 pm

:pmsl:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Maddog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:A...

Seriously who is going to want to step into those shoes now?

As I have gotten older, I question why people who appear to be relatively sane want anything to do with being in politics.
Maddog

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:

Yes, hopefully.

Why dont the powers that be just keep having elections until they get the result they want while pretending to honor the Democratic process?

Ours is a representative democracy - the referendum was advisory.
McAz

Postby Maddog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:21 pm

McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:

Yes, hopefully.

Ok. Just do like my kids did growing up. Ignore the advice given.
Maddog

Postby McAz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:

Yes, hopefully.

Ok. Just do like my kids did growing up. Ignore the advice given.

Except if it's advice from corporations.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs