AQI

AQI

Postby calitom » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Was just checking PurpleAir for the numbers in my town(which are still bad) when I noticed very high numbers in central england. Is the air quality normally bad in that region?? Traffic/industry??

https://www.purpleair.com/map#1.05/6.7/34.9
calitom

Re: AQI

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:58 pm

nORTH wALES MOSTLY FORESTS WOODLANDS FARMS BEECHES AND .... BAD AIR QUALITY.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby art0hur0moh » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:22 pm

calitom wrote:Was just checking PurpleAir for the numbers in my town(which are still bad) when I noticed very high numbers in central england. Is the air quality normally bad in that region?? Traffic/industry??

europe generally has higher standards in relation to most other places especilly the united states. the major poluter is nitrous from deasl (ffcol, argh :brickwall: ) and enclosed spaces withing cities and towns. far higher population density per square foot.
art0hur0moh

Postby Cannydc » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:
calitom wrote:Was just checking PurpleAir for the numbers in my town(which are still bad) when I noticed very high numbers in central england. Is the air quality normally bad in that region?? Traffic/industry??

europe generally has higher standards in relation to most other places especilly the united states. the major poluter is nitrous from deasl (ffcol, argh :brickwall: ) and enclosed spaces withing cities and towns. far higher population density per square foot.

FYI, my diesel car emits far less pollutants than most petrol cars. The main issue now in built up areas is idling vehicles, on short journeys, not warmed up. Diesel AND petrol.
Cannydc

Postby Fletch » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Cannydc wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

FYI, my diesel car emits far less pollutants than most petrol cars. The main issue now in built up areas is idling vehicles, on short journeys, not warmed up. Diesel AND petrol.

Anyone familiar with the workings of diesel engines knows that bullshit. Soot and particulates are very high, even with modern diesels and that's the problem for air quality, not some greenhouse gas measurement.

The motor industry spent a lot of money on smaller diesel engines then needed a way of marketing them to make back their money. Hence tax rates and fantasy measuring for emissions. Even then they still had to cheat to get them through.

Unless you do motorway runs and long distances, the thing never gets warm enough to to a proper regen and then you have the adding of pigs piss to try and help. (adblue)

Petrol causes far fewer problems.
Fletch

Postby Cannydc » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Oh dear. You are WAY behind the times, Fletch. Been reading too much Top Gear MSM stuff is my guess.

Modern diesels actually emit very few particulates. Today's filters actually take out over 99% of all particulates.

And as for NOx, Euro 6 has applied to all new cars sold since September 2015. The legal limit on NOx from diesel engines was halved compared with the previous standard, Euro 5.

ps - I pay ZERO road tax on my 2016 1600cc diesel - because emissions are so low.
Cannydc

Postby Fletch » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Cannydc wrote:Oh dear. You are WAY behind the times, Fletch. Been reading too much Top Gear MSM stuff is my guess.

Modern diesels actually emit very few particulates. Today's filters actually take out over 99% of all particulates.

And as for NOx, Euro 6 has applied to all new cars sold since September 2015. The legal limit on NOx from diesel engines was halved compared with the previous standard, Euro 5.

Never worked on them have you, or understand the way they work in real life.. The only msm victim is you I'm afraid.
Fletch

Postby Cannydc » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Fletch wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Oh dear. You are WAY behind the times, Fletch. Been reading too much Top Gear MSM stuff is my guess.

Never worked on them have you, or understand the way they work in real life.. The only msm victim is you I'm afraid.

I understand the tech, I'm an engineer.

Nothing to do with MSM, there is a considerable and proven overlap between petrol and diesel cars when it comes to emissions. I'm surprised you even bother to deny it.
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:33 pm

As a matter of added interest, manufacturers are also trying to make petrol engines more efficient and economical - using so-called "direct injection" technology.

But that improvement comes at a price. It can mean they produce much higher levels of particulates.

So there is a risk petrol engines could actually become dirtier!!
Cannydc

Postby LordRaven » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:31 pm

That is interesting
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Cannydc » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:53 pm

LordRaven wrote:

That is interesting

Hardly any pollution of note in the UK. Parts of US, on the other hand, are horrendous - must exclude California though, for obvious reasons.
Cannydc

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:00 am

Cannydc wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

We have more buses. diesel may have less carcinogenes and be easier to clean the exausts using vortex tech, though temperature also has an effect as well as, We don't actually do anything to reduc the polution. I would have a diesel car My Self. My greatest aggrivation is selfish drivers obstructing My right of way at the same time threatening Mine as well as Childrens safety. You are correct about traffic. so a speed limit of 10-20 mph and no traffic light would resolve congestion as well as polution if every seat was used.
art0hur0moh

Postby calitom » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:08 am

when i rechecked it not long after --that middle england region decreased greatly in numbers. perhaps it was a traffic pattern or factory schedules....whatever.
Most of the uk has similar #s to most of the usa. obviously --as canny points out---the northern ca #s have been horrendous cuz of the camp fire.I've never experienced air this bad.

I was just wondering if there was a particular area of the UK that is consistently high in its #s. After checking back on the site a few times obviously that area was not consistently high.

Look at India and china---you can see the brutally high numbers that are there always. I cant imagine this crap northern ca air being permanent. The health affects for the indian and chinese public must be brutal.
calitom

Postby Cannydc » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 am

calitom wrote:when i rechecked it not long after --that middle england region decreased greatly in numbers. perhaps it was a traffic pattern or factory schedules....whatever.
Most of the uk has similar #s to most of the usa. obviously --as canny points out---the northern ca #s have been horrendous cuz of the camp fire.I've never experienced air this bad.

I was just wondering if there was a particular area of the UK that is consistently high in its #s. After checking back on the site a few times obviously that area was not consistently high.

Look at India and china---you can see the brutally high numbers that are there always. I cant imagine this crap northern ca air being permanent. The health affects for the indian and chinese public must be brutal.

Central London's usually pretty high for obvious reasons, the midlands was probably slow weekend traffic on and around M6, M42, M69, M5 (Birmingham area).

Our air is usually pretty good, prevalent winds are from the West, off the Atlantic. We get more problems when the wind is from the East (Europe) and with high pressure and low winds pollution builds up.
Cannydc

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:21 pm

My area shows as an AQI of 21 posing "little or no risk". Not surprised as i don't have any industry, miles from a motorway, plus it's fucking freezing right now! About the worst pollutants in my area would be cows farting! :laughing:
Grafenwalder

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs