Dad forces daughter to walk to school for bullying

Dad forces daughter to walk to school for bullying

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/dad-force ... ssion=true

A dad in Ohio decided to take the long road in teaching his daughter a lesson about bullying.

Matt Cox, a native of Swanton, Ohio, is dividing opinions across the country after he decided to punish his 10-year-old daughter for bullying by making her walk the 5 miles to school in near-freezing temperatures.

"This is my small way of trying to stop it in my household," Cox told Toledo ABC affiliate WTVG.

Cox said he knew the decision would be divisive, but he wanted to teach his daughter, Kirsten, a lesson. Cox posted the video to social media on Monday and it has garnered 14 million views and tens of thousands of comments. Many of the comments are positive, but others said he was "overdoing it."

In the video he addresses those who might disagree, saying, "I know a lot of you parents are not going to agree with this and that's all right. I am doing what I think is right to teach my daughter a lesson to stop her from bullying."

"Parents need to hold their kids accountable," Cox said. "So that was me showing how I hold my kid accountable. I'm not going to be another parent that's just going to brush things under the rug and say, 'Kids will be kids.'"

He said this was the second time Kirsten has gotten in trouble for bullying and she was given a three-day suspension.

Kirsten said she'd been bullied herself, but the punishment -- which was actually split up over multiple days, her father said -- has taught her the lesson it intended.

Matt shared an update on the original post, starting with "lesson learned."

"Still has all her extremities intact is happy and healthy and seems to have a new outlook on bullying as well as a new appreciation for some of the simple things in life she used to take for granted," he wrote.

I'm a little bit conflicted about this story.

The punishment itself isn't an issue. He makes a good point about privileges not rights, the child is clearly being closely watched and kept safe. Moreover as Ohio is a state where spanking is still legal and it could be argued this parent's social media post is showing other parents a more appropriate way to punish their children. The issue I have is with a parent posting on social media that they are punishing their child, and actually putting the punishment on social media.

I can't help but thinking that while his heart was in the right place this father's head was up his own ass.
Cactus Jack

Re: Dad forces daughter to walk to school for bullying

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:10 am

There is more shame through more exposure.

I'm guessing she regrets her punishment being blasted all over social media, and I'm guessing he knows she will regret it more.

Also, I'm pretty sure that corporal punishment is legal in all 50 states as long as it's done by a parent, and it's done in a manner not determined to be abuse.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 am

Maddog wrote:There is more shame through more exposure.

I'm guessing she regrets her punishment being blasted all over social media, and I'm guessing he knows she will regret it more.

Also, I'm pretty sure that corporal punishment is legal in all 50 states as long as it's done by a parent, and it's done in a manner not determined to be abuse.

I understood some states had banned it but I'm willing to stand corrected.

As I said I'm conflicted on this one. I don't find the punishment itself excessive but I find the whole notion of posting on social media that you are punishing your child to be ... my vocabulary fails me but a bit virtue signalling is the closest I can get.

That video will still be in cyberspace when she is an old woman. With the greatest respect that's not something either of us can say about the punishments we received as children so it's hard for us to judge what effect it will have.
Cactus Jack

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:17 am

Maddog wrote:There is more shame through more exposure.

Wow really? It's been outlawed here in most UK schools for years and many folk (usually young/ish) claim it's "beating". It's not imo but long been a contentious issue. Now you've got 10 year olds telling teachers to fuck off or even stabbing them.

As for the father making his daughter walk to school. Excellent! But why as 'punishment'?? That should be par the course just as it was when i was in education when every kid walked to and from school every damn day. Now today we have whats known here as the "school run" where roads get cluttered with queues of cars carting their little snowflakes to and fro because the porkers are too bone to walk and parents daren't tell them to get walking.

I've no doubt some, both here and the US, will view the fathers stance as "child cruelty". Makes me despair for mankind! :roll:

Oh and before someone starts wailing about paedos on every street corner, they were out there when i was a kid and none of us had bloody iphones then.
Grafenwalder

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:22 am

Remember this one?

Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:53 am

Grafenwalder wrote:
Maddog wrote:There is more shame through more exposure. 3

Wow really? It's been outlawed here in most UK schools for years and many folk (usually young/ish) claim it's "beating". It's not imo but long been a contentious issue. Now you've got 10 year olds telling teachers to fuck off or even stabbing them.

As for the father making his daughter walk to school. Excellent! But why as 'punishment'?? That should be par the course just as it was when i was in education when every kid walked to and from school every damn day. Now today we have whats known here as the "school run" where roads get cluttered with queues of cars carting their little snowflakes to and fro because the porkers are too bone to walk and parents daren't tell them to get walking.

I've no doubt some, both here and the US, will view the fathers stance as "child cruelty". Makes me despair for mankind! :roll:

Oh and before someone starts wailing about paedos on every street corner, they were out there when i was a kid and none of us had bloody iphones then.

Corporal punishment is not allowed in many schools, but it's still practiced in some.

Parents are still allowed to give it to their children.
Maddog

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:38 am

If it stops the kid being a bully then good on him. A short dose of punishment versus the effects on the victim (which in some cases can last a lifetime) then he needs a pat on the back, not criticism from others. I've no problem him publicising it either, I hope the kid remembers the shame and embarrassment if and when she is tempted to bully someone again.

Maybe if others made the effort to discipline their kids society would be a little more pleasant.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:Remember this one?

If that’s meant to be a show of good parenting then he’s failed massively.
He’s publicly destroyed his daughter.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:13 pm

He wants validation for his choice of discipline.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:He wants validation for his choice of discipline.

But gets a psychologically damaged daughter instead

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:23 pm

Guest wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:Remember this one?

If that’s meant to be a show of good parenting then he’s failed massively.
He’s publicly destroyed his daughter.

More fool him for letting her go online after her previous online behaviour.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Too late to edit...

He wants everyone to know she wasn’t brought up badly and if she was it wasn’t his fault.
Public humiliation by a parent is flipping weird if you ask me. It’s more about his standing than hers.

What could possibly go wrong...?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Guest wrote:

Yeah possibly, I had to edit/ add a bit to my post.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:35 pm

And this?

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Guest wrote:

Yeah possibly, I had to edit/ add a bit to my post.

Would you destroy your kid on worldwide web?

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs