Your ancestors survived The Blitz

Your ancestors survived The Blitz

Postby Maddog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:37 pm

What in the Holy Fuck has happened? (full disclaimer, we may be racing you to win the title of wimped to the 3rd power, but you still have a slight lead).

Comedians invited to perform for charity at the University of London were required to sign a behavioral agreement that stipulated "love, joy, and acceptance" would be themes of the performance.

"This comedy night...aims to provide a safe space for everyone to share and listen," read the form, as reported by PJ Media's Toni Airaksinen. One of the invited comedians, Konstantin Kisin, also posted the full document on Twitter.

"By signing this contract, you are agreeing to our no tolerance policy with regards to racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-theism," the form continued.

The event in question was organized by the University of London's UNICEF on campus chapter. Kisin told the group that he supported their cause, but could not perform under such conditions, according to Airaksinen.

I understand that gratuitous cruelty may not be funny, and that student audiences are increasingly unwilling to hear anything that might offend them (see: Nimesh Patel). Even so, it seems odd to prohibit comedians from making fun of various religions. Is the questioning of religious dogma no longer a fundamental purpose of the university?

https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/11/come ... inShTSRLto
Maddog

Re: Your ancestors survived The Blitz

Postby Stooo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 pm

We were at war during the Blitz.

This is some sort of artistic show, I can't see the issue.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Maddog wrote:What in the Holy Fuck has happened? (full disclaimer, we may be racing you to win the title of wimped to the 3rd power, but you still have a slight lead).

Comedians invited to perform for charity at the University of London were required to sign a behavioral agreement that stipulated "love, joy, and acceptance" would be themes of the performance.

"This comedy night...aims to provide a safe space for everyone to share and listen," read the form, as reported by PJ Media's Toni Airaksinen. One of the invited comedians, Konstantin Kisin, also posted the full document on Twitter.

"By signing this contract, you are agreeing to our no tolerance policy with regards to racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-theism," the form continued.

The event in question was organized by the University of London's UNICEF on campus chapter. Kisin told the group that he supported their cause, but could not perform under such conditions, according to Airaksinen.

I understand that gratuitous cruelty may not be funny, and that student audiences are increasingly unwilling to hear anything that might offend them (see: Nimesh Patel). Even so, it seems odd to prohibit comedians from making fun of various religions. Is the questioning of religious dogma no longer a fundamental purpose of the university?

Comedy should never be a safe space, it should be the exact opposite of a safe space.

Postby Cannydc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Stooo wrote:We were at war during the Blitz.

None of my ancestors lived in London.
Cannydc

Postby Fletch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:58 pm

A firebomb went through my Granny's roof! :grrrrr:
Fletch

Postby Stooo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Cannydc wrote:

My Dad got evacuated and my Mum hid under the table in Southfields SW18 :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Maddog wrote:What in the Holy Fuck has happened? (full disclaimer, we may be racing you to win the title of wimped to the 3rd power, but you still have a slight lead).

I don't see the problem.
It's not the government.
It's not the law of the land.
It was the deal for that show.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

My Dad got evacuated and my Mum hid under the table in Southfields SW18 :mrgreen:

My dad died in a German concentration camp - tragic accident, he tripped over his machine gun and fell out of the guard tower...
Cannydc

Postby Wilson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:24 pm

I went to a local comedy night last weekend. There were jokes about jews, Muslims, the disabled, paedophilia & all sorts of other things we're constantly told are "off limits".

What does any of this have to do with the blitz? :dunno:
Wilson

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:42 pm

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!
Lady Murasaki

Postby calitom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:49 pm

calitom

Postby calitom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

ohhh..you had it easy...
calitom

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:58 pm

calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

ohhh..you had it easy...

You try telling the young people that today!
Lady Murasaki

Postby calitom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
calitom wrote:

ohhh..you had it easy...

You try telling the young people that today!
:)
calitom

Postby Maddog » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:11 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:

I don't see the problem.
It's not the government.
It's not the law of the land.
It was the deal for that show.

Have universities always been a place where young adults were protected from things that made them uncomfortable?
Maddog

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs