Your ancestors survived The Blitz

Re: Your ancestors survived The Blitz

Postby McAz » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Maddog wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:"By signing this contract, you are agreeing to our no tolerance policy with regards to racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-theism," the form continued"

That's pretty much any decent comedian's full repertoire blacklisted excluded. Wouldn't it be easier for the permanently offended just not to attend stand up comedy shows? Or is 'snowflake humour' the latest thing?

"On her recent trip to Northern Ireland, Diane Abbott was asked what she thought of County Down.

I much preferred it when Carol Vorderman was on, Diane replied."

Comedy for adults is all about stepping over boundaries.

For children, there is The Muppet Show.

It's principal purpose in both cases is to amuse - not to cross boundaries or anything else.
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Possibly all of it. They were banned in their time, or had a massive campaign to ban the film ‘Life of Brian’. Now considered a classic of British comedy.

I know the movie was banned in some places. For the same silly reason that comedians can t perform at this university. Someone may be offended.

Well then you’ve finally answered your own question ‘since when is art banned?’ Like I said, it’s always been banned when it offends. The university’s are just doing what’s always been done.

Actually I said "Since when are so many restrictions put in art".

Are you one if the puritans that didn't leave England?

Same thing, restrictions/bans/walls. :gigglesnshit:

I didn’t say I agreed with the bans/restrictions, just letting you know their POV. It all depends which side of the wall, or flake of snow, you’re looking out from.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Possibly all of it. They were banned in their time, or had a massive campaign to ban the film ‘Life of Brian’. Now considered a classic of British comedy.

I know the movie was banned in some places. For the same silly reason that comedians can t perform at this university. Someone may be offended.

Well then you’ve finally answered your own question ‘since when is art banned?’ Like I said, it’s always been banned when it offends. The university’s are just doing what’s always been done.

Actually I said "Since when are so many restrictions put in art".

Are you one if the puritans that didn't leave England?

Same thing, restrictions/bans/walls. :gigglesnshit:

I didn’t say I agreed with the bans/restrictions, just letting you know their POV. It all depends which side of the wall, or flake of snow, you’re looking out from.

So 5 pages later you agree with me.

Does it make you feel a little dirty? :wubwub:
Maddog

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:17 pm

I always agree with you don’t i? Just from an opposite angle. :smilin:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:I always agree with you don’t i? Just from an opposite angle. :smilin:

Stop using girl logic on me. :ooer:
Maddog

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:I always agree with you don’t i? Just from an opposite angle. :smilin:

Stop using girl logic on me. :ooer:

Ok, I’ll try to tap into my dark side. :mrgreen:
Lady Murasaki

Postby calitom » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
What are you talking about? It’s often quoted in assignments to gain more marks.

Did Monte Python ever use any of these in their comedy sketches or movies?

racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-theism.

Of course offensive things should be banned up to a point. And in this instance i would agree with the banning.
But for your info that is a COMPLETELY different situation than what is going on en masse in american universities where conservative main stream opinions are getting shut up and shut down because they the majority of profs and admins are flamingly liberal.
This is happening with google,facebook etc as well. They are saying some speech is offensive to cover their butts--But in reality there is much more offensive speech on the left which is left alone and not banned on these sites which sprouts from the left.
Google is getting massively sued and they will face a day of reckoning. When the public's opinions are tamped down by THE FEW or THE ONE SIDE then trouble will be brewing . See France. See the USA where massive christian groups as well as non christian groups and conservative groups are going after the big tech companies for their criminal behavior.
Again--A university should be able to censor offensive or criminal behavior if they wish. But the censoring seems to happen disproportionately to one side
calitom

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:00 pm

McAz wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:I know the movie was banned in some places. For the same silly reason that comedians can t perform at this university. Someone may be offended.

It was banned because at the time the common law of blasphemy was still in place and it was felt that the film might be in contravention.

Why was it thought to be blasphemous?

For the same reason it was thought blasphemous and banned in Texas :dunno:

For the sake of correction that film was not 'banned' in the UK or in Texas some theatres did not show it because they thought it would cause conflict and some local authorities gave it an X rating making it for adults only.

Not quite. Some councils banned the film giving the official reason that it might fall foul of the blasphemy laws extant at the time -Aberystwyth and Truro being cases in point Googling revealed.

And Torquay.

Here's the TV debate:

It wasn't Brian's fault that he was born down the road from Jesus. Did you know that Judith the Welsh tart is Lord Mayor of her home town now?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:Not quite. Some councils banned the film giving the official reason that it might fall foul of the blasphemy laws extant at the time -Aberystwyth and Truro being cases in point Googling revealed.

And Torquay.

Here's the TV debate:

It wasn't Brian's fault that he was born down the road from Jesus. Did you know that Judith the Welsh tart is Lord Mayor of her home town now?

No I didn't - and of all places Aberystwyth I've just discovered, Truly Brian moves in mysterious ways. :gigglesnshit:
McAz

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:04 pm

McAz wrote:
Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:Not quite. Some councils banned the film giving the official reason that it might fall foul of the blasphemy laws extant at the time -Aberystwyth and Truro being cases in point Googling revealed.

And Torquay.

Here's the TV debate:

No I didn't - and of all places Aberystwyth I've just discovered, Truly Brian moves in mysterious ways. :gigglesnshit:

All this mockery of religion is offending me. Please stop in the name of decency. :snooty:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:52 pm

calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Did Monte Python ever use any of these in their comedy sketches or movies?

racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-theism.

Of course offensive things should be banned up to a point. And in this instance i would agree with the banning.
But for your info that is a COMPLETELY different situation than what is going on en masse in american universities where conservative main stream opinions are getting shut up and shut down because they the majority of profs and admins are flamingly liberal.
This is happening with google,facebook etc as well. They are saying some speech is offensive to cover their butts--But in reality there is much more offensive speech on the left which is left alone and not banned on these sites which sprouts from the left.
Google is getting massively sued and they will face a day of reckoning. When the public's opinions are tamped down by THE FEW or THE ONE SIDE then trouble will be brewing . See France. See the USA where massive christian groups as well as non christian groups and conservative groups are going after the big tech companies for their criminal behavior.
Again--A university should be able to censor offensive or criminal behavior if they wish. But the censoring seems to happen disproportionately to one side

The nutters suing Google have as much chance of winning as I have of becoming US President.
Cactus Jack

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:56 pm

McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:"By signing this contract, you are agreeing to our no tolerance policy with regards to racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-theism," the form continued"

That's pretty much any decent comedian's full repertoire blacklisted excluded. Wouldn't it be easier for the permanently offended just not to attend stand up comedy shows? Or is 'snowflake humour' the latest thing?

"On her recent trip to Northern Ireland, Diane Abbott was asked what she thought of County Down.

It's principal purpose in both cases is to amuse - not to cross boundaries or anything else.

Whats the difference between me telly a racial joke in a pub to my mates and getting a laugh, to a comedian telling a joke in a pub/club and getting a laugh?
Apart from the comedian getting paid of course?

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Whats the difference between me telly a racial joke in a pub to my mates and getting a laugh, to a comedian telling a joke in a pub/club and getting a laugh?

Depends on the intent.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:It's principal purpose in both cases is to amuse - not to cross boundaries or anything else.

What Stooo said, I guess...

...but you're asking the wrong person, I don't tell racial jokes or know anyone who does. :dunno:
McAz

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:22 pm

McAz wrote:
Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:It's principal purpose in both cases is to amuse - not to cross boundaries or anything else.

What Stooo said, I guess...

...but you're asking the wrong person, I don't tell racial jokes or know anyone who does. :dunno:

I saw a black lesbian doing her schtick at a standup amateur hour a few months ago. She was very funny, and told all sorts of racial jokes.

She was no Richard Pryor (RIP he would never make it today), but she was funny and smashed through every boundary there was. Of course her audience was all adult so they handled it and understood the context.
Maddog

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs