Troubled outsourcing giant Interserve 'could be Carrilion II

Troubled outsourcing giant Interserve 'could be Carrilion II

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:44 pm

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/busi ... d-13716299

roubled outsourcing giant Interserve could be a “Carillion Mark II”, union leaders warned last night.

Shares in the firm, who hold contracts for a wide range of government services across Scotland and the rest of the UK, plunged as it emerged they were in crisis talks with lenders over £500million of debt.

Fears were growing that Interserve could become the next Carillion – the construction giants who collapsed in January, causing thousands of job losses and costing taxpayers £148million.

Interserve employ 75,000 people, including 45,000 in Britain. Contracts include prisons, schools and hospitals.

They also manage the Ministry of Defence’s training base on Salisbury Plain and military bases in the Falklands.

The theory great theory that private industry can deliver on public services. Another one bites the dust.

Re: Troubled outsourcing giant Interserve 'could be Carrilion II

Postby Cannydc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Guest wrote:https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business-consumer/troubled-outsourcing-giant-interserve-could-13716299

roubled outsourcing giant Interserve could be a “Carillion Mark II”, union leaders warned last night.

Shares in the firm, who hold contracts for a wide range of government services across Scotland and the rest of the UK, plunged as it emerged they were in crisis talks with lenders over £500million of debt.

Fears were growing that Interserve could become the next Carillion – the construction giants who collapsed in January, causing thousands of job losses and costing taxpayers £148million.

Interserve employ 75,000 people, including 45,000 in Britain. Contracts include prisons, schools and hospitals.

They also manage the Ministry of Defence’s training base on Salisbury Plain and military bases in the Falklands.

The theory great theory that private industry can deliver on public services. Another one bites the dust.

As is usual with the contracts these leeches compete for, they put in unfeasibly low cost tenders to drive out opposition, and then try to make cost savings from their wage bill by understaffing and underpaying.
Cannydc

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm

:kinell: I'm shocked. :kinell:

I was convinced Serco would go first.

Canny will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Interserve had the facilities contracts for many MOD establishments - offices as well as barracks and bases - it could be a real pain if they go down.
Cactus Jack

Postby Cannydc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Cactus Jack wrote::kinell: I'm shocked. :kinell:

I was convinced Serco would go first.

Canny will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Interserve had the facilities contracts for many MOD establishments - offices as well as barracks and bases - it could be a real pain if they go down.

They do, CJ.

Serco are more diverse, my project work with them was defence aviation equipment procurement related - in the same building, they built Boris Bikes !!

Interserve cross section -

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Interserve ... ompanyLogo
Cannydc

Postby Fletch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Guest wrote:https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/business-consumer/troubled-outsourcing-giant-interserve-could-13716299

As is usual with the contracts these leeches compete for, they put in unfeasibly low cost tenders to drive out opposition, and then try to make cost savings from their wage bill by understaffing and underpaying.

Is that the official excuse for the neoliberal policy of finding new and creative ways of handing over bundles of tax payers money to private pockets?

The truth is, the private provision of public services has been a disaster. No savings in cost, just the warped ideology of private over public in order to enrich the few. As usual with these ideas, when the few have bled the company, and the tax payer, for all it's worth they leave the tax payer to pick up the tab again.

Care homes, schools, hospitals, nothing is safe from the capitalist vultures so beloved by the Tories, New Labour and Liberals. No wonder thee is so much opposition against JC. The first change for 40 years and a real threat to the status quo.
Fletch

Postby Cannydc » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 pm

"Is that the official excuse for the neoliberal policy of finding new and creative ways of handing over bundles of tax payers money to private pockets?

The truth is, the private provision of public services has been a disaster. No savings in cost, just the warped ideology of private over public in order to enrich the few. As usual with these ideas, when the few have bled the company, and the tax payer, for all it's worth they leave the tax payer to pick up the tab again.

Care homes, schools, hospitals, nothing is safe from the capitalist vultures so beloved by the Tories, New Labour and Liberals. No wonder thee is so much opposition against JC. The first change for 40 years and a real threat to the status quo."

I absolutely agree with that assessment, until you get to "New Labour". They no longer exist, to all intents and purposes. You might as well be talking about us leaving the Gold Standard - it's history. Labour is moving forward with Corbyn - if I, as an arch pragmatist, can be impressed so can many, many more. That's why the smears will go on.
Cannydc

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Cannydc wrote:"Is that the official excuse for the neoliberal policy of finding new and creative ways of handing over bundles of tax payers money to private pockets?

Care homes, schools, hospitals, nothing is safe from the capitalist vultures so beloved by the Tories, New Labour and Liberals. No wonder thee is so much opposition against JC. The first change for 40 years and a real threat to the status quo."

I absolutely agree with that assessment, until you get to "New Labour". They no longer exist, to all intents and purposes. You might as well be talking about us leaving the Gold Standard - it's history. Labour is moving forward with Corbyn - if I, as an arch pragmatist, can be impressed so can many, many more. That's why the smears will go on.

I understand that around 4,500 Apprentices stand to lose their jobs if Interserve goes under.

Let's be honest most of the 140,000+ people in outsourced jobs would probably have to be taken on by the workplaces that rely on their services - from what I understand the MOD has a plan to immediately take on all essential staff literally at the second that Interserve goes bang and more power to them and I'm sure that the MOD aren't the only ones to have planned ahead.

But the 4,500 apprentices, young people just starting out on their chosen career path and willing to accept a lower wage so they can learn on the job- How utterly betrayed must they feel.
Cactus Jack

Postby Fletch » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 am

Cannydc wrote:"Is that the official excuse for the neoliberal policy of finding new and creative ways of handing over bundles of tax payers money to private pockets?

Why are you defending the neo-liberal private over public fanatics, New Labour? :scratch:

They do exist, well the core of them, both in the Labour party and the various think tanks set up by them. They like to refer to themselves as 'centrists'. Biggest load of hogwash going. Centrist simply means what's popular in the media, which is all part of the neo-liberal ideology anyway.

Labour under Corbyn is different but the core of Blairites remain, attacking, organising coups, refusing to accept the leader or his policies. You have the various ex Labour MP's and so called Labour supporters in the media with their columns, articles and comment pushing the neo-liberal agenda and criticising JC. The name may not exist but the ideology is still there and backed by serious money and given wide media exposure.
Fletch

Postby Cannydc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Fletch wrote:

Why are you defending the neo-liberal private over public fanatics, New Labour? :scratch:

They do exist, well the core of them, both in the Labour party and the various think tanks set up by them. They like to refer to themselves as 'centrists'. Biggest load of hogwash going. Centrist simply means what's popular in the media, which is all part of the neo-liberal ideology anyway.

Labour under Corbyn is different but the core of Blairites remain, attacking, organising coups, refusing to accept the leader or his policies. You have the various ex Labour MP's and so called Labour supporters in the media with their columns, articles and comment pushing the neo-liberal agenda and criticising JC. The name may not exist but the ideology is still there and backed by serious money and given wide media exposure.

They have little or no influence now, Momentum have seen to that. There will always be moderates in the party - but that doesn't make them Blairites. As for defending private over public ownership, as a rule I don't. However, while you may find it fun living under a Tory government because Labour is unelectable, I don't. At some point you have to take the country with you, an extreme view and policies will never do that. Ever.
Cannydc

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs