Comedians have figured out the trick to covering Trump

Comedians have figured out the trick to covering Trump

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:21 pm

The criticism I have of some modern media, and I include the BBC whom I often defend, is that it's just not ready enough to call a jackass a jackass and just not ready enough to call a hoax a hoax.

Do you remember the migrant caravan, the troop deployments, the talking heads on the screens etc, etc? All now gone from the screens of Fox News and every other cable outlet. Late night comedians called that out for what it was - racist dog whistles to call out the vote in places no American let alone any migrant wants to live.

John Oliver, Samantha Bee and Seth Myers get to do what journalist are afraid to do, call out bullshitters.

There may to two sides to every argument but sometimes one side is obviously wrong and that side needs to be called on their bullshit, clearly and unequivocally, and thankfully that's what late night host are doing and that's why the Daily Show, a self style fake news show, is more trusted than most cable news channels.
Cactus Jack

Re: Comedians have figured out the trick to covering Trump

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:29 am

Vox is the opposite side of the same coin as Fox. Both have a role in covering Trump, but there is no mistaking their bias.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:37 am

OK having given all the time to attempts to make this about Vox that it deserves back to the question of how late night comedians have become a more trusted news outlet than 24 cable news.

I think another essential part is brevity. Even when a cable news channel is able to say clearly and unequivocally that a news story is completely bogus they have hours to fill and having a panel of talking heads discussing whether Melania is wearing Gucci or Armani and how that affects US-China relations is a lot easier, and cheaper, than trying to fill that time with actual news.

The current White House makes the situation even worse by dismissing actual news as Fake and, like someone just tried to do on this thread, making it about the medium not the content.
Cactus Jack

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:58 am

Trump has given them an abundance of material.
Problem is, even though he’s the laughing stock of the world he still seems untouchable.
Why aren’t the American authorities able pin the slippery creep down?
Is he seen as less dangerous because he’s portrayed as a fool rather than a devious, sleazy and corrupt politician?
He’s playing the media like a fiddle. Not sure it’ll last though...
Lady Murasaki

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Trump has given them an abundance of material.
Problem is, even though he’s the laughing stock of the world he still seems untouchable.
Is he seen as less dangerous because he’s portrayed as a fool rather than a devious, sleazy and corrupt politician?

No one needs a comedian to tell them about Trump. He is covered adequately in the news. And as you said, he gives comedians, journalists and everyday citizens plenty of material.
Maddog

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Mueller is closing in and the dotard knows he's on borrowed time. His gobby mouth will prove his undoing as he's forever having Twitter tantrums when somethings hurt his fragile ego. Making personal attacks against Cohens family shows how extremely insecure and unstable he is and he's not fit to be in public office.
Grafenwalder

Postby LordRaven » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

The criticism I have of some modern media, and I include the BBC whom I often defend, is that it's just not ready enough to call a jackass a jackass and just not ready enough to call a hoax a hoax.

Do you remember the migrant caravan, the troop deployments, the talking heads on the screens etc, etc? All now gone from the screens of Fox News and every other cable outlet. Late night comedians called that out for what it was - racist dog whistles to call out the vote in places no American let alone any migrant wants to live.

John Oliver, Samantha Bee and Seth Myers get to do what journalist are afraid to do, call out bullshitters.

There may to two sides to every argument but sometimes one side is obviously wrong and that side needs to be called on their bullshit, clearly and unequivocally, and thankfully that's what late night host are doing and that's why the Daily Show, a self style fake news show, is more trusted than most cable news channels.

Poor Donald. A much maligned and reviled character, and all because he just opens his mouth without thinking.

Sorry -- forget mouth and change to twitter account
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Maddog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:27 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Poor Donald. A much maligned and reviled character, and all because he just opens his mouth without thinking.

And Twitter is sort of inexcusable. I often blurt out stupid shit. But usually, given the ability to edit a Facebook post, I can fix it to where it doesn't sound like I'm a lunatic before I hit submit.

The crazy posts at strange hours are just dumb.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Maddog wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

And Twitter is sort of inexcusable. I often blurt out stupid shit. But usually, given the ability to edit a Facebook post, I can fix it to where it doesn't sound like I'm a lunatic before I hit submit.

The crazy posts at strange hours are just dumb.

Early morning stuff, he's on the crapper and crimping one out. It generally hits at mid-morning UK time and is very risible and not about brexit :smilin:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:45 am

Meyers, Colbert and Noah - all unmissable for me.

I do enjoy a bit of slapstick buffoonery, which is why I've also been keeping tabs on the WaPo's Trump fact-checker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b7c446e8ea45
Vam

Postby Cannydc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 am

Vam wrote:Meyers, Colbert and Noah - all unmissable for me.

I do enjoy a bit of slapstick buffoonery, which is why I've also been keeping tabs on the WaPo's Trump fact-checker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims-database/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b7c446e8ea45

Have you noticed that the graph is exponential?

Within a couple of years he will be close to uttering an infinite number of fake or misleading claims..... EVERY DAY!!!
Cannydc

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:59 am

You should add Samantha Bee and John Oliver to that list
Cactus Jack

Postby Vam » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 am

Cannydc wrote:

Have you noticed that the graph is exponential?

Within a couple of years he will be close to uttering an infinite number of fake or misleading claims..... EVERY DAY!!!

That long? I thought he'd pretty much already reached that point!

Even now, 2 years on, I still ask myself "HOW in hell did this train wreck happen...??"
Vam

Postby Vam » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:08 am

Cactus Jack wrote:

You should add Samantha Bee and John Oliver to that list

Hard to find the time, CJ, given that Cooper, Cuomo, Stephanopoulos et al, are also on my list.

I'm not too proud to admit The Donald takes up way too much of my time :oops:
Vam

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Maddog wrote:

No one needs a comedian to tell them about Trump. He is covered adequately in the news. And as you said, he gives comedians, journalists and everyday citizens plenty of material.

He’s like one of those evangelical preachers some Americans need to believe in. Everyone else can see the con man but the believers just keep handing over money to support him because he says what they want/ need to hear.
Lady Murasaki

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs