Drone attack?

Drone attack?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:04 am

Gatwick chaos as drones suspend flights.

Thousands of passengers are in limbo with the runway at Gatwick remaining closed on Thursday morning after reports of drones flying close to the airport.

The seemingly deliberate nature of the disruption is likely to spark fears it is a coordinated attack on Britain's second-busiest airport.

Flights in and out of the airport were suspended at about 9pm on Wednesday after two drones were sighted near the airfield.

Gatwick announced that the runway had reopened at about 3am on Thursday - but just 45 minutes later it was shut again.

The airport's chief operating officer Chris Woodroofe admitted it could take days to recover services, warning those responsible they could face five years in jail.

It could be a spotty teenager but they say it’s more sinister because it keeps appearing and disappearing from the runway. Making it impossible to detect who is operating the drone/s.
Lady Murasaki

Re: Drone attack?

Postby Cannydc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Look what we got for Christmas...

Kids or stupid, immature adults is my guess.
Cannydc

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Gatwick chaos as drones suspend flights.

Thousands of passengers are in limbo with the runway at Gatwick remaining closed on Thursday morning after reports of drones flying close to the airport.

The seemingly deliberate nature of the disruption is likely to spark fears it is a coordinated attack on Britain's second-busiest airport.

Flights in and out of the airport were suspended at about 9pm on Wednesday after two drones were sighted near the airfield.

Gatwick announced that the runway had reopened at about 3am on Thursday - but just 45 minutes later it was shut again.

The airport's chief operating officer Chris Woodroofe admitted it could take days to recover services, warning those responsible they could face five years in jail.

It could be a spotty teenager but they say it’s more sinister because it keeps appearing and disappearing from the runway. Making it impossible to detect who is operating the drone/s.

It's not A kid because there's more than one.
So the reports this morning were saying.
It's been suggested it might be a protest about a third runway or about emissions but no one has come forward to say so yet.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 pm

The army has been called in.
Nobody knows yet why it’s sabotaging the airport.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Jayda Fransen was arrested earlier yesterday at Gatwick, I wonder if it's connected to this story?

I'm loath to link to the Britain First site, but it seems to be the only place covering it.
If Support want to remove the video link, I quite understand.

Postby Stooo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Cannydc wrote:Look what we got for Christmas...

It seems to be more sinister than that. I've heard several reports from professional drone operators and the kit that they use can't fly for more than half an hour between charges, this thing is up for hours and flying in rain.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Guest wrote:Jayda Fransen was arrested earlier yesterday at Gatwick, I wonder if it's connected to this story?

I'm loath to link to the Britain First site, but it seems to be the only place covering it.
If Support want to remove the video link, I quite understand.

The overflying started in the early hours, long before dawn.

I do like to see a nazi snowflake spazzing out on video. These and their gammon and pineapple brethren are preaching to their small and insignificant audience and alienating people who would once at least sympathise with some of their aims rather than support them. Bring it on!
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:14 pm

Stooo wrote:

It seems to be more sinister than that. I've heard several reports from professional drone operators and the kit that they use can't fly for more than half an hour between charges, this thing is up for hours and flying in rain.

Don't think it's continuous, Stooo.

Police say that as soon as they close in, it disappears and moves.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Stooo wrote:

But the control signal is there and apparently should be detectable. You and I know that three people with spectrum analysers should be able to triangulate the position of the operator, this thing is flying in heavy rain and most quadcopters would drop out of the sky in such conditions.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Postby Cannydc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Stooo wrote:

But the control signal is there and apparently should be detectable. You and I know that three people with spectrum analysers should be able to triangulate the position of the operator, this thing is flying in heavy rain and most quadcopters would drop out of the sky in such conditions.

Triangulation in an area with lots of big buildings and associated reflections, and in heavy rain, can be very problematic. The other issue is laying hands on 3 aerials that can attach easily to SAs, are cut to the right frequency to receive a decent signal, and are of course directional.

The final issue is broadband interference from the many sources at an airport.

I don't envy their task.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Triangulation in an area with lots of big buildings and associated reflections, and in heavy rain, can be very problematic. The other issue is laying hands on 3 aerials that can attach easily to SAs, are cut to the right frequency to receive a decent signal, and are of course directional.

The final issue is broadband interference from the many sources at an airport.

I don't envy their task.

The head shed has been brought in, serious measures.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Wilson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Guest wrote:Image

:pmsl:

In all seriousness, there aren't ANY photos of these drones. That's odd, no?
I think there's more to this than we're being told.
Wilson

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Wilson wrote:
Guest wrote:

In all seriousness, there aren't ANY photos of these drones. That's odd, no?
I think there's more to this than we're being told.

Yes that is odd. There’s photos of planes and photos of drones, but none of the drones at the airport.

(We need a suspicious smiley so that we don’t use this one wrongly. :srs?: )
Lady Murasaki

Postby Jon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 pm

There is video footage of one of the drones out there.
Jon

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs