Saudi Woman Seeks Asylum, Fears Family Will Kill Her

Re: Saudi Woman Seeks Asylum, Fears Family Will Kill Her

Postby Salmon Bin Salad » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun says Thai authorities have returned her passport to her, giving new hope to the 18-year-old Saudi who barricaded herself in a Bangkok hotel room as she posted pleas for asylum over the weekend. Alqunun says her family has abused her and might kill her if she is deported.

The new development played out as Alqunun's father arrived in Thailand, setting off concerns that she might be forced to return to Saudi Arabia.

"My father just arrived," she said in an update on Monday, adding that it "worried and scared me a lot."

Thai officials had arranged for Alqunun to be on a flight out of Bangkok on Monday, but she refused to leave her airport hotel room before she spoke to someone from the U.N. Refugee Agency, the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Repeating her desire to leave Thailand for another country where she can seek asylum, Alqunun said, "But at least I feel [safe] now under UNHCR protection with the agreement of Thailand authorities. And I finally got my passport back."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/07/68280607 ... l-kill-her

UNHCR - The world is watching you.

Why should she fear the creators of Wahhabism in the religion of peace?
This silly girl is overreacting.
Salmon Bin Salad

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Salmon Bin Salad wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun says Thai authorities have returned her passport to her, giving new hope to the 18-year-old Saudi who barricaded herself in a Bangkok hotel room as she posted pleas for asylum over the weekend. Alqunun says her family has abused her and might kill her if she is deported.

The new development played out as Alqunun's father arrived in Thailand, setting off concerns that she might be forced to return to Saudi Arabia.

"My father just arrived," she said in an update on Monday, adding that it "worried and scared me a lot."

Thai officials had arranged for Alqunun to be on a flight out of Bangkok on Monday, but she refused to leave her airport hotel room before she spoke to someone from the U.N. Refugee Agency, the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Repeating her desire to leave Thailand for another country where she can seek asylum, Alqunun said, "But at least I feel [safe] now under UNHCR protection with the agreement of Thailand authorities. And I finally got my passport back."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/07/68280607 ... l-kill-her

UNHCR - The world is watching you.

Why should she fear the creators of Wahhabism in the religion of peace?
This silly girl is overreacting.

One of the reasons the Saudi's ensured that an episode of Patriot Act was banned by Netflix in Saudi Arabia is precisely because the overwhelming majority of Muslims, and most especially those in the West, are opposed to the Saudi interpretation of Islam.

Don't forget Malala Yousafzai still identifies herself as a Muslim
Cactus Jack

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Just for Bungle....

“We will not send anyone to die. We will not do that. We will adhere to human rights under the rule of law,” said Thai Immigration Police chief Maj. Gen. Surachate Hakparn.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2019 ... sylum.html

The problem is, what happens if the UN drops the ball? At this point, I would prefer that Thailand or another interested country would grant her asylum, regardless of what the UN decides.

Thailand won't let her go until she is assured of asylum in a safe country. Thai laws do not permit granting of asylum there.

She's been granted asylum in Canada

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/worl ... sylum.html

That'll be a shock, Saudi Arabia to a Canadian Winter

Postby Cannydc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm

I am liking Trudeau more each day.

Stands up to Trump, who hates him for it, now exhibits true compassion. Can't say I expected May to make a similar offer, somehw.
Cannydc

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs