If they banned log burners .....

Re: If they banned log burners .....

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 pm

There's no gas in this area lots of areas in Wales like that.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:18 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:There's no gas in this area lots of areas in Wales like that.

What a pain if the electric gets cut off and you run out of gas - but hold on, you can still use your log burning fires :yikes:

Which makes this legislation utterly fucking ridiculous if Britain has a Big Freeze.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:There's no gas in this area lots of areas in Wales like that.

What a pain if the electric gets cut off and you run out of gas - but hold on, you can still use your log burning fires :yikes:

Which makes this legislation utterly fucking ridiculous if Britain has a Big Freeze.

Well there are often power cuts out here whether you live in the middle of nowhere or in the heart of a village. Council house or mansion are all affected by these power cuts usually brought on by gale force winds and or ice bringing lines down.
Oil central heating and the power goes off .... your pump stops working.
Gas central heating power goes off .... your pump stops working.
Electric heating power goes off .... you got no heating.
Me and many many people around here like me .... will carry on cooking and be very warm and comfortable thank you.
My coal fire isn't the kind you sit around warming your hands.
My coal fire belts out so much heat I have windows and doors open.
I have a gentle fan that takes the heat further into the house.
If it gets to ten or more below the cooker will be heated up and then left on a low light to add to the warmth in the house.
With plenty of ventilation.
Three 47 kg propane bottles last me a year sometimes only two.
Fifty quid a bottle.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby banana chewits » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Well there are often power cuts out here whether you live in the middle of nowhere or in the heart of a village. Council house or mansion are all affected by these power cuts usually brought on by gale force winds and or ice bringing lines down.
Me and many many people around here like me .... will carry on cooking and be very warm and comfortable thank you.
If it gets to ten or more below the cooker will be heated up and then left on a low light to add to the warmth in the house.
Fifty quid a bottle.

do you do all your cooking with them too? that's a great deal you've got there.
banana chewits

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Fifty quid a bottle.

Thanks, I recall fond memories of growing up in the sticks with power cuts, heavy snow and floods etc unable to get to school or to the nearest neighbours, it always seemed a great adventure to me at the time. As a kid I was often off sawing and chopping wood in the local woods because nobody could catch me doing so when the roads were impassable.
We always had plenty of candles in the house too I seem to recall. :smilin:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 pm

banana chewits wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Fifty quid a bottle.

do you do all your cooking with them too? that's a great deal you've got there.

All the cooking.
Normal kitchen cooker with the jets changed to burn propane.
Winter takes most gas because it's left on to help heat the house.
Summer time hardly any gas used.
Two bottles chained to the wall outside ... chained to stop them falling on grandchildren.
Dual valve fitted outside cost seventy quid plus some copper pipe and a gas fitter cost me another hundred and twenty quid.
The bottles have a shelter built over and around them to stop bird crap and the like covering them.
Coal between two fifty and three hundred quid a ton logs sixty quid a ton that will last all year and more.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Fletch wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Hopefully patio heaters and fire pits will be things of the past.

And the Nov 5th bonfires will become even more organised rather than homegrown, a trend seen very much here already.

Bit draconian. People not permitted to enjoy themselves outside now?

The really crazy bit is the powers that be want to shut down my coal and log burning and use gas or electricity produced on gas turbines.
Yet don't dare use gas on the patio .... world is truly fucking mad.

I guess they'd like to ban wildfires as well :gigglesnshit:

I have two large gas bottles outside that are piped into my kitchen for the cooker.
Very bad shit for the environment but because the flames are not on the patio it's ok by the reckoning of some posters on here.

Do you drive around in the summer with aircon on full, and the windows open ?

Makes as much sense as patio heaters and so-called fire pits.

As for your gas, I guess it has a practical use - cooking.
Cannydc

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm

The argument being put forward for tighter controls of coal and wood burning isn't about climate change but pollution that causes asthma etc.
I have mild COPD and when I told my doctor I was reinstating the chimney for an open fire he said I should see an improvement in the condition orr seeing as it's only mild anyway not notice it so much in winter.
In the late 70's Greater Manchester council were reinstating open fires in houses where there were asthma sufferers.
Opinion on that has gone full circle to it being nothing but bad idea.
My doc is having none of it.
An open fire or log burner only works efficiently if you have good draught.
This means as soon as you open up the chimney fresh air is circulating.
Soon as you light a fire fresh air is circulating at a rapid rate.
The rate of change of a room full of air is seconds .... you cannot obtain that in a sealed up centrally heated house.

Last year, related hospital admissions for five to 19-year-olds rose from 37 in August to 115 the month after in Wales.
Charity Asthma UK blamed changing weather, but also children coming into contact with cold and flu viruses, and mould in schools.
This is when there are no such fires burning. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45401984
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:The argument being put forward for tighter controls of coal and wood burning isn't about climate change but pollution that causes asthma etc.
I have mild COPD and when I told my doctor I was reinstating the chimney for an open fire he said I should see an improvement in the condition orr seeing as it's only mild anyway not notice it so much in winter.
In the late 70's Greater Manchester council were reinstating open fires in houses where there were asthma sufferers.
The rate of change of a room full of air is seconds .... you cannot obtain that in a sealed up centrally heated house.

Last year, related hospital admissions for five to 19-year-olds rose from 37 in August to 115 the month after in Wales.
Charity Asthma UK blamed changing weather, but also children coming into contact with cold and flu viruses, and mould in schools.
This is when there are no such fires burning. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45401984

Central Heating, air conditioning and lack of proper ventilation has a lot to answer for. Legionnaires disease for one but I am beginning to buy into the asthma and copd link too
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby jra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 am

LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:The argument being put forward for tighter controls of coal and wood burning isn't about climate change but pollution that causes asthma etc.

Central Heating, air conditioning and lack of proper ventilation has a lot to answer for. Legionnaires disease for one but I am beginning to buy into the asthma and copd link too

Some modern boilers have automatic legionnaires disease protection. I'm not quite sure how it works, but something along the lines if the water temperature in the hot water tank goes below a certain level, the tank is heated to a temperature high enough to kill the bacteria. Boilers not needing a hot water tank, presumably don't need this feature.

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/produ ... /explained
jra

Postby jra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:21 am

Not just Wales.

www.nongasmap.org.uk
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:45 am

jra wrote:

Not just Wales.

http://www.nongasmap.org.uk

Not looked at your link JRA partly because I'm feeling really tired and lazy but also because I am aware there are other areas in the uk too with similar situations.
Here in Wales there's also a huge number of houses not plumbed into the main sewage so have to have septic tanks.
Most have water mains but there are still in this day and age houses on well water only.
When I had the farm I had water mains and a well. The mains was metered but obviously the well wasn't so I chucked a pump in .... the floating kind and pumped water to a header tank .... originally for the animals but I ended up with it plumbed to the house for domestic use.
No mains gas no mains sewage.
I ran a black pipe across some sloping ground too with it snaked about so a large area of ground was covered in pipe and that fed from the main pipe to the water tank .... old fashioned copper element immersion job. The water was very very warm by the time it reached the immersion heater thereby slashing my electric bills.
I'm not that thorough now. Easy on farm land with lots of outbuildings and space but I don't have that anymore.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby calitom » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:41 am

my grandpa delivered coal for a living for many years....the northeast/midwest usa is bitterly cold.

re wood burning in california we have spare the air days. when these days are declared then no wood burning of any kind. controlled burns on rural properties plays by different rules.

seems like jack has a good system at his house.--in ca i dont even turn on heat or AC for approx 6 months. feb to may and sep thru nov you either leave the windows open at night and block out the sun during the day(hot days)or you leave windows open during day and close stuff up at night(milder days)
calitom

Postby LordRaven » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:57 pm

calitom wrote:my grandpa delivered coal for a living for many years....the northeast/midwest usa is bitterly cold.

re wood burning in california we have spare the air days. when these days are declared then no wood burning of any kind. controlled burns on rural properties plays by different rules.

seems like jack has a good system at his house.--in ca i dont even turn on heat or AC for approx 6 months. feb to may and sep thru nov you either leave the windows open at night and block out the sun during the day(hot days)or you leave windows open during day and close stuff up at night(milder days)

You are blessed with a lovely climate.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby calitom » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:50 pm

LordRaven wrote:
calitom wrote:my grandpa delivered coal for a living for many years....the northeast/midwest usa is bitterly cold.

You are blessed with a lovely climate.

yes it is amazingly good weather...But it better be because there are so many fiucked up things about this state.the govt bureaucracry is staggering and criminal.Only outdone by the great state of Illinois(or North Venezuela as we call it)
Stop the world i wanna get off....ahh the mind of your Anthony Newley
calitom

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs