Re: FORECAST TONIGHT'S BREXIT VOTE.

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 pm

Maddog

Postby Fletch » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 pm

Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Is anyone starting to hate it when people want to discuss Brexit? I am, even when it starts to be discussed on TV I feel like throwing a brick through the screen, I really do hate the word itself and everything it represents now. I think it's the worst calamity facing Britain since The Battle of Britain, and I say this because I do feel we have zero control over our own destiny in this matter.
Brexitphobia? I think I have developed a severe case of it.

That's quite sad really, Raven. Being a person who sucks up all things political like manna from heaven, I tend to forget that others see it as less than riveting. I have always enjoyed the NP+CA forum, and rarely stray.

This is the greatest, and for me most interesting, political crisis in my lifetime - please excuse me for enjoying the ramifications, if not the outcome.

Better enjoy it while you can
In the country you are relocating to, they don't look too kindly on dissenters like you.
One poor sod is going to prison for years for mocking the King's dog.

plenty more examples in this reuters article.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... 5C20151216

What makes you think that I am, or would be "a dissenter" ?

Or that I would seek to interfere in another countries sovereign decisions ?

People jailed in Thailand are there for breaking Thai laws. Happens the world over. The fact that I have never been to jail (or charged with any crime) despite living in 3 other countries might give you a clue that I respect other's laws.

You sound like a recruit for the Integrity Initiative. :ooer:

The 'Integrity Initiative' - A Military Intelligence Operation, Disguised As Charity, To Create The "Russian Threat"
The British government financed Integrity Initiative is tasked with spreading anti-Russian propaganda and thereby with influencing the public, military and governments of a number of countries. What follows is an contextual analysis of the third batch of the Initiative's internal papers which were dumped by an anonymous yesterday.

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2018/12/t ... nelly.html
Fletch

Postby Cannydc » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Fletch wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Is anyone starting to hate it when people want to discuss Brexit? I am, even when it starts to be discussed on TV I feel like throwing a brick through the screen, I really do hate the word itself and everything it represents now. I think it's the worst calamity facing Britain since The Battle of Britain, and I say this because I do feel we have zero control over our own destiny in this matter.
Brexitphobia? I think I have developed a severe case of it.

That's quite sad really, Raven. Being a person who sucks up all things political like manna from heaven, I tend to forget that others see it as less than riveting. I have always enjoyed the NP+CA forum, and rarely stray.

This is the greatest, and for me most interesting, political crisis in my lifetime - please excuse me for enjoying the ramifications, if not the outcome.

Better enjoy it while you can
In the country you are relocating to, they don't look too kindly on dissenters like you.
One poor sod is going to prison for years for mocking the King's dog.

plenty more examples in this reuters article.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... 5C20151216

What makes you think that I am, or would be "a dissenter" ?

Or that I would seek to interfere in another countries sovereign decisions ?

People jailed in Thailand are there for breaking Thai laws. Happens the world over. The fact that I have never been to jail (or charged with any crime) despite living in 3 other countries might give you a clue that I respect other's laws.

You sound like a recruit for the Integrity Initiative. :ooer:

The 'Integrity Initiative' - A Military Intelligence Operation, Disguised As Charity, To Create The "Russian Threat"
The British government financed Integrity Initiative is tasked with spreading anti-Russian propaganda and thereby with influencing the public, military and governments of a number of countries. What follows is an contextual analysis of the third batch of the Initiative's internal papers which were dumped by an anonymous yesterday.

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2018/12/t ... nelly.html

And you talk complete bollocks.

Tell your wacky conspiracy theories to someone who cares.
Cannydc

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Brexiters are angry that Remain MP's are allowing parliament to "dictate" terms to government over Brexit. Seems "the will of THE people" means for themselves only.

phpBB [video]
Grafenwalder

Postby Cannydc » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:42 pm

They can see those lucrative deals selling off what's left of UK PLC, and their bets shorting the GBP going down the Swannee.

Good - if there is one group of odious, self centred people I want to see lose badly, it's them.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:Brexiters are angry that Remain MP's are allowing parliament to "dictate" terms to government over Brexit. Seems "the will of THE people" means for themselves only.

phpBB [video]

B-bbbut muh parliamentary sovereignty wot I voted for...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby MungoBrush » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Maddog wrote:All of those are good questions that will likely never be answered, because unfortunately we have no legal mechanism to allow for us to leave, and an illegal secession would probably destroy the state.

There's an article here that I found about that, but unfortunately, because it knows I'm in Europe, I'm barred from reading it:

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curious ... vestigates
MungoBrush

Postby McAz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:02 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Maddog wrote:All of those are good questions that will likely never be answered, because unfortunately we have no legal mechanism to allow for us to leave, and an illegal secession would probably destroy the state.

There's an article here that I found about that, but unfortunately, because it knows I'm in Europe, I'm barred from reading it:

Use a VPN, Bangle. :thumbsup:
McAz

Postby Stooo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 pm

MungoBrush wrote:

Mate, you just have to know some tricks:

https://outline.com/9XdhHk

:thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:40 am

MungoBrush wrote:

From the link.

According to Sanford Levinson, a University of Texas government professor, the simple answer is that no, Texas cannot secede because states do not have that right.

The Supreme Court directly addressed the secession question in Texas vs. White in 1868. The court held that individual states could not secede from the Union.

"When Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation," Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase wrote in that decision. "The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual and as indissoluble as the union between the original States. There was no place for reconsideration or revocation, except through revolution or through consent of the States."

We have a nationalist movement, and it's fairly strong, but I don't think polls have ever put the numbers wanting to leave much above about 10%.

And with so many new folks moving here every day, I don't see it gaining much strength, unless the wheels start to fall off the country. And even then, the Feds are going to want to hang on to Texas, by force if necessary.

Now territories are different. Puerto Rico could probably become a sovereign nation, but they are on the teet of the country and would never do that.
Maddog

Postby MungoBrush » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Maddog wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:

From the link.

According to Sanford Levinson, a University of Texas government professor, the simple answer is that no, Texas cannot secede because states do not have that right.

The Supreme Court directly addressed the secession question in Texas vs. White in 1868. The court held that individual states could not secede from the Union.

"When Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation," Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase wrote in that decision. "The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual and as indissoluble as the union between the original States. There was no place for reconsideration or revocation, except through revolution or through consent of the States."

We have a nationalist movement, and it's fairly strong, but I don't think polls have ever put the numbers wanting to leave much above about 10%.

And with so many new folks moving here every day, I don't see it gaining much strength, unless the wheels start to fall off the country. And even then, the Feds are going to want to hang on to Texas, by force if necessary.

Now territories are different. Puerto Rico could probably become a sovereign nation, but they are on the teet of the country and would never do that.

Looks similar in Australia as well

“You can checkout any time you like but you can never leave”
MungoBrush

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Maddog wrote:https://fee.org/articles/the-man-behind-the-hong-kong-miracle/

Looks like Hong Kongit worked OK. :cuppaT:

Nothing remotely like Brexit.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Maybe not. They didn't moan for 2 years and instead got to work building the most economically free country on the planet.
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Maddog wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Maybe not. They didn't moan for 2 years and instead got to work building the most economically free country on the planet.

Moaning is only part of the story.
The government has done nothing and achieved less the last two years.
Utter chaos with people and businesses leaving in droves.
No one has a fucking clue what's going on.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:47 pm

Theresa May has been mocked for dragging MPs into Brexit "Groundhog Day" after her anticipated plan B for leaving the bloc appeared very similar to her original blueprint.

The prime minister was forced to come to the Commons after her Brexit deal was comprehensively rejected by MPs last week by a record 230 votes. She is due to table a “neutral” motion to be debated and voted on - along with any amendments tabled by MPs - on 29 January.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn urged her to drop her "red lines" to win support from parliament, amid pressure for her to seek changes to the controversial Irish backstop part of her Brexit deal.

Treeza kicks the can down the road.... again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 38231.html
Cannydc

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs