FORECAST TONIGHT'S BREXIT VOTE.

Re: FORECAST TONIGHT'S BREXIT VOTE.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Seemed to have put Texas in its place for the last 150 years. If independence is so great why dont you guys leave?[/quote]

Texas is a state, not a sovereign nation.

Unlike the EU, there is very good chance the US would invade us if we left. And we haven't had votes showing a majority wanted out.

But I'm OK with the idea.[/quote]

It was an independent nation before it joined the Union.

Why not go it alone? scared you wouldn't be able to handle the big bad world without Uncle Sam to hold your hand :mrgreen:[/quote]

Especially as the fracked oil is drying up faster than expected.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:03 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:Jesus this Brexit is taking forever. I think we Brexited faster than this once we were done with foreign entanglements. How long has this been dragging on now?

Two and a half years, who knew that removing the eggs from a cake would be so problematic...

It took 3 years for us to leave the Roman Empire (EU Mark 1):

"AD 407 – The remaining Roman garrisons in Britain proclaim one of their generals, Constantine III, Emperor of the Western Roman Empire. Constantine quickly pulls together a force and crosses the English Channel to invade Gaul, leaving Britain with only a skeleton force to defend itself.

AD 409 – After throwing off their allegiance to Constantine III in 408, the local British populace expel the final remnants of Roman authority in 409.

AD 410 – With increased incursions from the Saxons, Scots, Picts and Angles, Britain turns to the Roman emperor Honorius for help. He writes back telling them to ‘look to their own defenses’ and refuses to send any help. This letter marked the end of Roman Britain."

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... n-Britain/

Things have changed m8, we've got the internet and all sorts of things that would get you crucified back then.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Maddog wrote:Maybe the yellow vests will manage to wrest control of France and do a Frexit. Show folks how it's done. :dunno:

Even the FN don't want to leave now.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:06 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:Jesus this Brexit is taking forever. I think we Brexited faster than this once we were done with foreign entanglements. How long has this been dragging on now?

Two and a half years, who knew that removing the eggs from a cake would be so problematic...

Not me. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I guess you need to bake a cake first...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Seemed to have put Texas in its place for the last 150 years. If independence is so great why dont you guys leave?

Unlike the EU, there is very good chance the US would invade us if we left. And we haven't had votes showing a majority wanted out.

Why not go it alone? scared you wouldn't be able to handle the big bad world without Uncle Sam to hold your hand :mrgreen:[/quote]

Especially as the fracked oil is drying up faster than expected.[/quote]

We just found another huge field a few weeks ago. We may have too much of the shit. Its keeping the prices too low for the oil companies to make money.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm

wutang wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Unlike the EU, there is very good chance the US would invade us if we left.

Dont mess with Texas :dunno:

I'm not in charge and leaving is not legal anymore. That ship sailed with our civil war.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Stooo wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Stooo wrote:

It took 3 years for us to leave the Roman Empire (EU Mark 1):

"AD 407 – The remaining Roman garrisons in Britain proclaim one of their generals, Constantine III, Emperor of the Western Roman Empire. Constantine quickly pulls together a force and crosses the English Channel to invade Gaul, leaving Britain with only a skeleton force to defend itself.

AD 409 – After throwing off their allegiance to Constantine III in 408, the local British populace expel the final remnants of Roman authority in 409.

AD 410 – With increased incursions from the Saxons, Scots, Picts and Angles, Britain turns to the Roman emperor Honorius for help. He writes back telling them to ‘look to their own defenses’ and refuses to send any help. This letter marked the end of Roman Britain."

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... n-Britain/

Things have changed m8, we've got the internet and all sorts of things that would get you crucified back then.

Sure things have changed. Now you get to leave with a vote, on your own terms. No need to chunk a bunch of dead Europeans into the channel.
Maddog

Postby wutang » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 pm

Maddog wrote:
wutang wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Unlike the EU, there is very good chance the US would invade us if we left.

Dont mess with Texas :dunno:

I'm not in charge and leaving is not legal anymore. That ship sailed with our civil war.

wutang

Postby MungoBrush » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Seemed to have put Texas in its place for the last 150 years. If independence is so great why dont you guys leave?

If Texas became independent - would there be freedom of movement with the USA?
What would be the solution for the Texas-USA border? Would there be border controls?
Would Texas be allowed to negotiate it's own trade deals?
Would they have to pay for a wall?
MungoBrush

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Maddog wrote:

But I'm OK with the idea.

We just found another huge field a few weeks ago. We may have too much of the shit. Its keeping the prices too low for the oil companies to make money.[/quote]
Couple of years back I pointed out oil would have to have an artificially high price for facking to be worth the effort .... you denied it now you admit it.
There's hope yet.
Now you're having other problems with fracking problems that are going to become very serious in a very short time .....

Three years of drought, decades of overuse and now the oil industry's outsize demands on water for fracking are running down reservoirs and underground aquifers. And climate change is making things worse.

In Texas alone, about 30 communities could run out of water by the end of the year, according to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Nearly 15 million people are living under some form of water rationing, barred from freely sprinkling their lawns or refilling their swimming pools. In Barnhart's case, the well appears to have run dry because the water was being extracted for shale gas fracking.
No-one in Barnhart paid much attention at the time, and McGuire hooked up to the town's central water supply. "Everyone just said: 'too bad'. Well now it's all going dry," McGuire said.

Ranchers dumped most of their herds. Cotton farmers lost up to half their crops. The extra draw down, coupled with drought, made it impossible for local ranchers to feed and water their herds, said Buck Owens. In a good year, Owens used to run 500 cattle and up to 8,000 goats on his 7,689 leased hectares (19,000 acres). Now he's down to a few hundred goats.

A Texan tragedy: ample oil, no water
Fracking boom sucks away precious water from beneath the ground, leaving cattle dead, farms bone-dry and people thirsty
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... l-no-water
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Fracked Shale Oil Wells Drying Up Faster Than Predicted, Wall Street Journal Finds

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/01/10/f ... et-journal
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:38 pm

MungoBrush wrote:

If Texas became independent - would there be freedom of movement with the USA?
What would be the solution for the Texas-USA border? Would there be border controls?
Would Texas be allowed to negotiate it's own trade deals?
Would they have to pay for a wall?[/quote]

All of those are good questions that will likely never be answered, because unfortunately we have no legal mechanism to allow for us to leave, and an illegal secession would probably destroy the state.
Maddog

Postby Cannydc » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:40 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Is anyone starting to hate it when people want to discuss Brexit? I am, even when it starts to be discussed on TV I feel like throwing a brick through the screen, I really do hate the word itself and everything it represents now. I think it's the worst calamity facing Britain since The Battle of Britain, and I say this because I do feel we have zero control over our own destiny in this matter.
Brexitphobia? I think I have developed a severe case of it.

That's quite sad really, Raven. Being a person who sucks up all things political like manna from heaven, I tend to forget that others see it as less than riveting. I have always enjoyed the NP+CA forum, and rarely stray.

This is the greatest, and for me most interesting, political crisis in my lifetime - please excuse me for enjoying the ramifications, if not the outcome.

Better enjoy it while you can
In the country you are relocating to, they don't look too kindly on dissenters like you.
One poor sod is going to prison for years for mocking the King's dog.

plenty more examples in this reuters article.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... 5C20151216

What makes you think that I am, or would be "a dissenter" ?

Or that I would seek to interfere in another countries sovereign decisions ?

People jailed in Thailand are there for breaking Thai laws. Happens the world over. The fact that I have never been to jail (or charged with any crime) despite living in 3 other countries might give you a clue that I respect other's laws.
Cannydc

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:42 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Why not go it alone? scared you wouldn't be able to handle the big bad world without Uncle Sam to hold your hand :mrgreen:

We just found another huge field a few weeks ago. We may have too much of the shit. Its keeping the prices too low for the oil companies to make money.[/quote]
Couple of years back I pointed out oil would have to have an artificially high price for facking to be worth the effort .... you denied it now you admit it.
There's hope yet.
Now you're having other problems with fracking problems that are going to become very serious in a very short time .....

Three years of drought, decades of overuse and now the oil industry's outsize demands on water for fracking are running down reservoirs and underground aquifers. And climate change is making things worse.

In Texas alone, about 30 communities could run out of water by the end of the year, according to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Nearly 15 million people are living under some form of water rationing, barred from freely sprinkling their lawns or refilling their swimming pools. In Barnhart's case, the well appears to have run dry because the water was being extracted for shale gas fracking.
No-one in Barnhart paid much attention at the time, and McGuire hooked up to the town's central water supply. "Everyone just said: 'too bad'. Well now it's all going dry," McGuire said.

Ranchers dumped most of their herds. Cotton farmers lost up to half their crops. The extra draw down, coupled with drought, made it impossible for local ranchers to feed and water their herds, said Buck Owens. In a good year, Owens used to run 500 cattle and up to 8,000 goats on his 7,689 leased hectares (19,000 acres). Now he's down to a few hundred goats.

A Texan tragedy: ample oil, no water
Fracking boom sucks away precious water from beneath the ground, leaving cattle dead, farms bone-dry and people thirsty
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... l-no-water[/quote]

In 2013, we were in a drought. It's an arid region and those things happen. When they do, water gets rationed. Pouring thousands of gallons of drinking water on your lawn gets banned.

Lakes have been few full for a few years now and we have had to deal with the effects of too much water, more so than too little during the past couple of years.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Fracked Shale Oil Wells Drying Up Faster Than Predicted, Wall Street Journal Finds

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/01/10/f ... et-journal

And we find more.

We have plenty. I know that makes you sad.
Maddog

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs