Ford to axe 5000 jobs.

Re: Ford to axe 5000 jobs.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:01 am

Cannydc wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Tenfold improvement in liquid batteries mean electric car refuelling could take minutes
One of the biggest drawbacks of electric vehicles – that they require hours and hours to charge – could be obliterated by new type of liquid battery that is roughly ten times more energy-dense than existing models, according to Professor Lee Cronin, the Regius Chair of Chemistry at the University of Glasgow, UK.

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-tenfold-l ... c-car.html

That sounds remarkable.

Sounds great for sure.
Problem right now is investors are holding back in the world of car manufacturing because the future is obviously electric but the competing technologies and rapid advances mean .... where do you gamble your money?
Yesterday it was solid lithium batteries today it isn't and what does tomorrow throw up?

My friend's Tesla charges to 90% in the time it takes to grab a coffee at the motorway services, and it costs absolutely zero when using a Tesla charging point. So, for a single coffee / toilet break he can comfortably cover 600 miles.

Oh, and Tesla claim 0 - 60mph in 2.4 seconds...

They take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100%.
Faster they charge the shorter their life and at more than ten grand a battery ... they are becoming obsolete.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:11 am

Electric vehicles are still only a tiny fraction of total new vehicle sales in the U.S.. Tesla sold about half of them. In March, according to Autodata, Tesla sold 4,050 vehicles in the U.S., similar to Porsche. All automakers combined sold 1.56 million new vehicles. This gave Tesla a market share of 0.26 percent. “Tesla faces a formidable set of competitors, and they’re coming in with guns blazing,” Wahlman told The Times. “Once the market is flooded with electric vehicles from manufacturers who can cross-subsidize them with profits from their conventional cars, somewhere around 2020 or 2021, Tesla will be driven into bankruptcy,” Spiegel said.
“Investing is all about possibility and probability,” Yusko said. “Is it possible that Tesla will produce 500,000 cars in the next two or three years? Yes. Is it probable? No.” Tesla has missed many deadlines and goals, and quality problems cropped up in early production models.
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... Tesla.html

I too know someone who has a Tesla.
Tesla is not the future and neither are the batteries he uses.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:14 am

Why Tesla's Gigafactory Could Be Obsolete Before It Even Opens
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/245542
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:19 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Tenfold improvement in liquid batteries mean electric car refuelling could take minutes
One of the biggest drawbacks of electric vehicles – that they require hours and hours to charge – could be obliterated by new type of liquid battery that is roughly ten times more energy-dense than existing models, according to Professor Lee Cronin, the Regius Chair of Chemistry at the University of Glasgow, UK.

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-tenfold-l ... c-car.html

That sounds remarkable.

Sounds great for sure.
Problem right now is investors are holding back in the world of car manufacturing because the future is obviously electric but the competing technologies and rapid advances mean .... where do you gamble your money?
Yesterday it was solid lithium batteries today it isn't and what does tomorrow throw up?

My friend's Tesla charges to 90% in the time it takes to grab a coffee at the motorway services, and it costs absolutely zero when using a Tesla charging point. So, for a single coffee / toilet break he can comfortably cover 600 miles.

Oh, and Tesla claim 0 - 60mph in 2.4 seconds...

They take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100%.
Faster they charge the shorter their life and at more than ten grand a battery ... they are becoming obsolete.

Every technology is becoming obsolete, it's just a matter of time. If you want the latest TV you need to change it every 18 months, but you don't of course. Phones are every year... My phone is 6 years old. Obsolete but does what I need.

I fully expect my diesel car to be on the road in 15 years time - it may well see me out :smilin:
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:25 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Why Tesla's Gigafactory Could Be Obsolete Before It Even Opens
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/245542

Tesla aren't the only people making electric cars, of course. My friend bought his in 2015, and will trade in for a newer model this year. Presumably, like everyone else he will consider carefully before buying.

*edit - the fast chargers should be used sparingly as they will indeed reduce battery life by not using the required charge/discharge cycle, affecting the battery memory. Home trickle charge is best by far.

(by the way, your link isn't to a story)
Last edited by Cannydc on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cannydc

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:31 am

Electric still has a long way to go. Though development has been ongoing some time and advancing they won't have cracked the market until able to produce an affordable car for the masses - a "peoples car" if you like. Hhmm that sounds a bit Brexity! Anyway i won't be seeing one in my lifetime and recently squandered a grand on a diesel that costs 30 quid a year to put on the road and goes to the moon and back on a litre of juice - took me four months to use half a tank!
Grafenwalder

Postby Cannydc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:41 am

Grafenwalder wrote:Electric still has a long way to go. Though development has been ongoing some time and advancing they won't have cracked the market until able to produce an affordable car for the masses - a "peoples car" if you like. Hhmm that sounds a bit Brexity! Anyway i won't be seeing one in my lifetime and recently squandered a grand on a diesel that costs 30 quid a year to put on the road and goes to the moon and back on a litre of juice - took me four months to use half a tank!

"New research by Deloitte suggests that price parity with internal combustion cars is likely by 2021. 'In the UK, the cost of petrol and diesel vehicle ownership will converge with electric over the next five years,' predicts Michael Woodward, UK automotive partner at Deloitte. 'Supported by existing government subsidies and technology advances, this tipping point could be reached as early as 2021. From this point, cost will no longer be a barrier to purchase, and owning an EV will become a realistic, viable option for new buyers.'

Top of the charts a.t.m. are;

The Jaguar i-Pace

Jaguar claims 395bhp, 513lb ft, and zero to 62mph in 4.8sec. More crucially, it also claims a range of 298 miles, and charge times from 0-80% in 40 minutes at a rapid 100kW DC public charger, with AC wallbox charging (7kW, the kind of thing you’d do at home) taking ten hours. It’s priced from £63,495 in the UK, excluding government incentives, and is on sale from June 2018.

The Nissan Leaf. With prices starting at £21,990 (including the £4,500 government electric car grant) it’s very good value.
Cannydc

Postby art0hur0moh » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 am

Guest wrote:Ford have announced they are cutting 5000 jobs. In Fermany. So im guessing not due to brexit but the same headwinds the established car manufacturers are feeling.

business doesn't' overly concern itself with such trivial matters. It is technological advancements! brexit isn't responsible for many of the former high street closures and bankruptcies! how everyone purchases, is the only thing that has changed.
art0hur0moh

Postby Fletch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 pm

The motor industry is suffering from over production and dropping demand. They have used every trick in the book to 'sell' to customers and now there is no demand as people are up to their eyeballs in debt. The PCP was the last throw of the dice, that's coming back to bite people on the arse hard, hence drop in demand.

Diesel is also a problem as are the ever increasing charges being placed on motorists. London leads the way but other cities will soon follow. From parking through cynical speed/traffic cameras and charges to drive right up to fuel costs. The increasing burden is bound to have an effect. Of course, the 'war' on motorists is not backed up with cheap, available and reliable public transport...except London of course...
Fletch

Postby Fletch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Ford CEO's Pay Rises to $17.75 Million for ‘Mediocre’ Year 15 March 2019, 13:00 GMT

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nd=premium
Fletch

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Fletch wrote:The motor industry is suffering from over production and dropping demand. They have used every trick in the book to 'sell' to customers and now there is no demand as people are up to their eyeballs in debt. The PCP was the last throw of the dice, that's coming back to bite people on the arse hard, hence drop in demand.

Diesel is also a problem as are the ever increasing charges being placed on motorists. London leads the way but other cities will soon follow. From parking through cynical speed/traffic cameras and charges to drive right up to fuel costs. The increasing burden is bound to have an effect. Of course, the 'war' on motorists is not backed up with cheap, available and reliable public transport...except London of course...

Ansolutely correct. Yet we are told British car plants that are producing old gen products are laying off because of brexit. They are just idealogues recycling project fear. You are a holocaust denying anti-Semite filthbag but as a stopped clock manages you are correct in this one post.

Postby Fletch » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Guest wrote:
Fletch wrote:The motor industry is suffering from over production and dropping demand. They have used every trick in the book to 'sell' to customers and now there is no demand as people are up to their eyeballs in debt. The PCP was the last throw of the dice, that's coming back to bite people on the arse hard, hence drop in demand.

Ansolutely correct. Yet we are told British car plants that are producing old gen products are laying off because of brexit. They are just idealogues recycling project fear. You are a holocaust denying anti-Semite filthbag but as a stopped clock manages you are correct in this one post.

:wubwub:
Fletch

Postby Grafenwalder » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 am

Cannydc wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:Electric still has a long way to go. Though development has been ongoing some time and advancing they won't have cracked the market until able to produce an affordable car for the masses - a "peoples car" if you like. Hhmm that sounds a bit Brexity! Anyway i won't be seeing one in my lifetime and recently squandered a grand on a diesel that costs 30 quid a year to put on the road and goes to the moon and back on a litre of juice - took me four months to use half a tank!

"New research by Deloitte suggests that price parity with internal combustion cars is likely by 2021. 'In the UK, the cost of petrol and diesel vehicle ownership will converge with electric over the next five years,' predicts Michael Woodward, UK automotive partner at Deloitte. 'Supported by existing government subsidies and technology advances, this tipping point could be reached as early as 2021. From this point, cost will no longer be a barrier to purchase, and owning an EV will become a realistic, viable option for new buyers.'

Top of the charts a.t.m. are;

The Jaguar i-Pace

Jaguar claims 395bhp, 513lb ft, and zero to 62mph in 4.8sec. More crucially, it also claims a range of 298 miles, and charge times from 0-80% in 40 minutes at a rapid 100kW DC public charger, with AC wallbox charging (7kW, the kind of thing you’d do at home) taking ten hours. It’s priced from £63,495 in the UK, excluding government incentives, and is on sale from June 2018.

The Nissan Leaf. With prices starting at £21,990 (including the £4,500 government electric car grant) it’s very good value.

Not for me it wouldn't be! For that amount i could buy a fleet of 22 'shopping trolley' cars like the thing i've got now which does everything itself apart from drive. I couldn't justify spending £22k on a car.
Grafenwalder

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs