Fear that three million UK children will go hungry

Fear that three million UK children will go hungry

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:43 am

UK's food bank crisis - charities fear three million children will go hungry during this year's summer holidays

Food banks were practically unheard of in the UK before the 2008 recession, but there are now more than 2,000.

By 2012, three new food banks were opening each week, such was the need for these services — and it shows no sign of slowing down.

The number of people using them has risen by 73 per cent in the last five years. Shockingly, many people using them have jobs, but are still struggling to make ends meet.

Why are people using food banks?

The biggest nationwide study on food banks by Oxford University found almost half of households had unsteady incomes week-to-week.

Nearly 80 per cent reported they had skipped meals or gone without eating —sometimes for days at a time — in the past 12 months.

Half were in fuel poverty and had gone without heating for more than four days in the past year, 50 per cent couldn't afford toiletries, and one in five had been forced to sleep rough.

(Daily Mail via MSN)

If this is the position in one of the richest countries in the world, and it's about to get worse - imagine what it must be like in poor countries.

The poor we shall always have with us, but why the hungry? - John van Hengel
McAz

Re: Fear that three million UK children will go hungry

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:06 pm

I grew up on porridge for breakfast, school dinners and raiding fields, tickling trout, shooting game and scrumping.
Live off the land! :hap:

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Guest wrote:I grew up on porridge for breakfast, school dinners and raiding fields, tickling trout, shooting game and scrumping.

I grew up in the bombed out remains of London's East End - the only shooting to be had was by Jack "the Hat" McVitie. :ooer:
McAz

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Guest wrote:I grew up on porridge for breakfast, school dinners and raiding fields, tickling trout, shooting game and scrumping.

What if you live in the City or don't have a gun licence then! :hand:

Postby Wellard » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:21 pm

McAz wrote:

I grew up in the bombed out remains of London's East End - the only shooting to be had was by Jack "the Hat" McVitie. :ooer:

Cheers Adolph!
Schools were closed by bombs.
Dire times.
Fletch would tell you the Luftwaffe were just flying over sightseeing St Paul’s.
Jah! Look down there mein Freund! Isn’t that dome lovely? Use zat as Ze aiming mark!
But we are all friends now.
Wellard

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:53 pm

Wellard wrote:
McAz wrote:

Cheers Adolph!
Dire times.
Fletch would tell you the Luftwaffe were just flying over sightseeing St Paul’s.
Jah! Look down there mein Freund! Isn’t that dome lovely? Use zat as Ze aiming mark!

Not Brexshitters - they've run away from the Germans, and the French, even the Italians...

...meanwhile they are happy for children to go hungry in Britain.
McAz

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 pm

McAz wrote:
Wellard wrote:
McAz wrote:

Cheers Adolph!
Dire times.

Not Brexshitters - they've run away from the Germans, and the French, even the Italians...

Delete Gammons, insert Lemmings!
Cunts!
Leavers are devoid of intelligence.
Surely?

Postby Fletch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 pm

McAz wrote:UK's food bank crisis - charities fear three million children will go hungry during this year's summer holidays

Food banks were practically unheard of in the UK before the 2008 recession, but there are now more than 2,000.

By 2012, three new food banks were opening each week, such was the need for these services — and it shows no sign of slowing down.

The number of people using them has risen by 73 per cent in the last five years. Shockingly, many people using them have jobs, but are still struggling to make ends meet.

Why are people using food banks?

The biggest nationwide study on food banks by Oxford University found almost half of households had unsteady incomes week-to-week.

Nearly 80 per cent reported they had skipped meals or gone without eating —sometimes for days at a time — in the past 12 months.

Half were in fuel poverty and had gone without heating for more than four days in the past year, 50 per cent couldn't afford toiletries, and one in five had been forced to sleep rough.

(Daily Mail via MSN)

If this is the position in one of the richest countries in the world, and it's about to get worse - imagine what it must be like in poor countries.

The poor we shall always have with us, but why the hungry? - John van Hengel

It's a result of neoliberalism, private provision for everything and zero public services.

All parties except JC's Labour support and implement neoliberal policies.

It's why he is attacked so much.
Fletch

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:
Wellard wrote:
McAz wrote:

Cheers Adolph!
Dire times.

Delete Gammons, insert Lemmings!
Cunts!
Leavers are devoid of intelligence.
Surely?

Cunts is fine - they supported, and still support, the government that did this.
McAz

Postby Fletch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 pm

McAz wrote:
Wellard wrote:
McAz wrote:

Cheers Adolph!
Dire times.

Neoliberalism is the corner stone of the EU.
Fletch

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Fletch wrote:
McAz wrote:
Wellard wrote:
McAz wrote:

Cheers Adolph!
Dire times.

And the cornerstone of a post-Brexit UK - your point?
McAz

Postby Fletch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:23 pm

McAz wrote:
Fletch wrote:
McAz wrote:
Wellard wrote:
McAz wrote:

Cheers Adolph!
Dire times.

You got tomorrow's lottery numbers? :dunno:
Fletch

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Fletch wrote:
McAz wrote:
Fletch wrote:Neoliberalism is the corner stone of the EU.

No - have the far-right led Brexit movement?
McAz

Postby Fletch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 pm

McAz wrote:
Fletch wrote:
McAz wrote:

I just thought with your clear vision of the future, you miught have them.

Not sure what the far right have to do with anything,

JC4PM is the answer. (never used that before!) :twirl:
Fletch

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Fletch wrote:
McAz wrote:
Fletch wrote:
McAz wrote:

I just thought with your clear vision of the future, you miught have them.

Not sure what the far right have to do with anything,

JC4PM is the answer. (never used that before!) :twirl:

If Corbyn had any integrity or care for the common man he would resign. He'll have to anyway when Boris shores up his support.

Frankly, I am ashamed of the support I once lent him.
McAz

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs