HS2 DELAYED UP TO 5 YEARS

Re: HS2 DELAYED UP TO 5 YEARS

Postby McAz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:If I wanted to travel up to Cumbria to meet Mcazz from North Wales how long would it take me by train and how much would it cost me?
Try convincing me to leave my car at home go on.
You seem pretty well up on trains so could you work out a route and a price say from Colwyn Bay to Brampton?
Times too.
I would be visiting for lunch in a pub spending maybe two hours with him and then returning home .... how long would it all take?

You'd have to stay overnight by my reckoning. :dunno:

A very quick Google says around eleven hours and the reason I picked Brampton is once out of Wales and into England it's virtually a straight line!
Nice and simple.
I could do it in three and a half hours up the M6?

Brampton would be the nearest, but the odd thing is that Brampton station is not actually in Brampton. So you'd have to add a car journey to that.
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 pm

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:If I wanted to travel up to Cumbria to meet Mcazz from North Wales how long would it take me by train and how much would it cost me?
You seem pretty well up on trains so could you work out a route and a price say from Colwyn Bay to Brampton?
Times too.
I would be visiting for lunch in a pub spending maybe two hours with him and then returning home .... how long would it all take?

A very quick Google says around eleven hours and the reason I picked Brampton is once out of Wales and into England it's virtually a straight line!
Nice and simple.

Brampton would be the nearest, but the odd thing is that Brampton station is not actually in Brampton. So you'd have to add a car journey to that.

I think the reality is that coming to say hello and have a pub lunch would mean I'd be away from home for 12 hours taking it easy.
Using the train I'd be away from home for two days!
The good news about using the train would be I could get pissed but then I'd be getting chucked off trains getting arrested possibly finding my way back to a train falling asleep with a hangover .... I could be gone for a week!
I think a leisurely car journey listening to J J Cale and stuff and drinking coffee would be a lot easier. A lot simpler.
I think if they want to ease up congestion then on existing railways the answer isn't more railways it's more roads!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Times too.

Seriously. You'd travel all that way just to have a pub lunch. :yikes:

The train journey is 3.5-4 hours each way, flexible off-peak return £98. Frequency roughly every two hours weekdays.

The thing is if you want better public transport you'll probably have to move to somewhere where it is, rather than expecting it to come to you, because in most cases it won't without a huge expenditure.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:34 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Times too.

The train journey is 3.5-4 hours each way, flexible off-peak return £98. Frequency roughly every two hours weekdays.

The thing is if you want better public transport you'll probably have to move to somewhere where it is, rather than expecting it to come to you, because in most cases it won't without a huge expenditure.

Well I'd take him a nice book and his wife a bunch of flowers too but it's what people with cars do.
You've never had a car?
As for moving to some Urban shithole so I could use trains and busses forget it!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Nice and simple.

I think the reality is that coming to say hello and have a pub lunch would mean I'd be away from home for 12 hours taking it easy.
The good news about using the train would be I could get pissed but then I'd be getting chucked off trains getting arrested possibly finding my way back to a train falling asleep with a hangover .... I could be gone for a week!
I think a leisurely car journey listening to J J Cale and stuff and drinking coffee would be a lot easier. A lot simpler.
I think if they want to ease up congestion then on existing railways the answer isn't more railways it's more roads!

More roads just encourage more traffic and usage. The M25 is a classic example. Roads cost about the same as railways to build anyway.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:41 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote: A very quick Google says around eleven hours and the reason I picked Brampton is once out of Wales and into England it's virtually a straight line!
Nice and simple.

More roads just encourage more traffic and usage. The M25 is a classic example. Roads cost about the same as railways to build anyway.

Build more roads then.
Roads go where people want to go.
All those fucking people on trains don't get to where they want to go so clog the towns and cities up with their taxi rides!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:42 pm

jra wrote:More roads just encourage more traffic and usage. The M25 is a classic example. Roads cost about the same as railways to build anyway.

But, but...

jra wrote:Again this is a train thread, not a car thread.

...are we allowed to discuss cars too, jra, now that you've changed your mind. :scratch:
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:46 pm

Public transport in rush hour around here.
Not a taxi in sight.
You know why?
Because there's no fucking railway station!!!!
Attachments
Llanberisrushhourpublictransport.jpg
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Times too.

Well I'd take him a nice book and his wife a bunch of flowers too but it's what people with cars do.
You've never had a car?
As for moving to some Urban shithole so I could use trains and busses forget it!

It's what you and McAz do.

I could do a day trip to Devon from Luton by train to see my dad and be there for a few hours for a pub lunch, but to me, that is just ridiculous.

You don't have to move to an urban shithole to have a good public transport system.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:51 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Times too.

You've never had a car?

I could do a day trip to Devon from Luton by train to see my dad and be there for a few hours for a pub lunch, but to me, that is just ridiculous.

You don't have to move to an urban shithole to have a good public transport system.

Of course it's ridiculous you haven't got a car!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Build more roads then.
All those fucking people on trains don't get to where they want to go so clog the towns and cities up with their taxi rides!

Please don't ever become Transport Minister. Even the government realise building more roads isn't the answer to our transport problems.

Ernest Marples was in favour of road transport and via the Beeching Cuts, we lost a third of our railway network. Mostly to more rural areas where you and McAz live. That worked out well didn't it?
jra

Postby McAz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Build more roads then.

Please don't ever become Transport Minister. Even the government realise building more roads isn't the answer to our transport problems.

Ernest Marples was in favour of road transport and via the Beeching Cuts, we lost a third of our railway network. Mostly to more rural areas where you and McAz live. That worked out well didn't it?

Worked out okay for people with cars, hardly any congestion where I live. And we can all come and go as we please, not when some billionaire train company owner says so.
McAz

Postby jra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:You seem pretty well up on trains so could you work out a route and a price say from Colwyn Bay to Brampton?
Times too.

You've never had a car?

Of course it's ridiculous you haven't got a car!

I still wouldn't make the journey by car even if I had one. The train is quicker anyway and without the stress. I can relax on the train, have a few beers and not have to concentrate on the road all the time. Besides, I see Dawlish Sea Wall (one of the most scenic railway routes in the UK) and you can't do that by car.
jra

Postby McAz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:04 pm

jra wrote:I still wouldn't make the journey by car even if I had one. The train is quicker anyway and without the stress. I can relax on the train, have a few beers and not have to concentrate on the road all the time. Besides, I see Dawlish Sea Wall (one of the most scenic railway routes in the UK) and you can't do that by car.

And you cant see most of the beauty of Cumbria and Scotland by train - your argument works both ways.
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:13 pm

The only places in Wales the train goes are some shitty coastal towns the picture I just posted isn't by the sea.
No trains inland and in the picture you can see the Thursday bus.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs