HS2 DELAYED UP TO 5 YEARS

Re: HS2 DELAYED UP TO 5 YEARS

Postby McAz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Fletch wrote:Until the railways become true public services, leave them to die out. Too expensive, too London centric and too much government money lining select private pockets.

Same for buses, though London is unique in the country for the bus service they have. :roll:

If they persist then any new railway line should start from the furthest planned point from London, never from London.

I quite like the Metro services - not quite the Bangkok Skytrain, but cities are well served by them.

And agree 100% about London and new transport services. The more they get, the more London-centric the whole country becomes. Decent bus services in the countryside would cut far more cars off the roads than HS2...

But since Thatcher gave most bus services to Stagecoach there's little chance of that. :shake head:
McAz

Postby jra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:03 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Fletch wrote:Until the railways become true public services, leave them to die out. Too expensive, too London centric and too much government money lining select private pockets.

Same for buses, though London is unique in the country for the bus service they have. :roll:

If they persist then any new railway line should start from the furthest planned point from London, never from London.

I quite like the Metro services - not quite the Bangkok Skytrain, but cities are well served by them.

And agree 100% about London and new transport services. The more they get, the more London-centric the whole country becomes. Decent bus services in the countryside would cut far more cars off the roads than HS2...

It probably would, but this thread is about cutting rail network congestion.
jra

Postby Fletch » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:05 pm

jra wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

It's about delaying HS2, isn't it?

Fletch

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:Yes, because all taxi journeys are made to/from railway stations. You do realise how ridiculous you are sounding, plus it would be difficult to build a railway line in terrain like that.

You took that serious ..... a picture of the wilds of Wales and you took a comment about taxis seriously ..... :pmsl:

With you Jack I don't know whether you are being serious or not.

The vast wastelands and mountainous areas of Wales and taxis clogging the roads coming out of railways stations wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone ... no one .... but then J there's you.

The point is why post it in the first place?
:dunno:
:ooer:
No humour allowed?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:13 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:The point is why post it in the first place?
No humour allowed?

Spending £100 billion to knock off a few minutes from a train journey is fucking hilarious while people are homeless and hungry. :shake head:
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 pm

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
No humour allowed?

Spending £100 billion to knock off a few minutes from a train journey is fucking hilarious while people are homeless and hungry. :shake head:

Yes a little humorous ridicule was needed but didn't work anyway.
Only person on the planet who would ask ...... why post it in the first place then .....
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
No humour allowed?

Only person on the planet who would ask ...... why post it in the first place then .....

He is a special person.
McAz

Postby jra » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:06 am

McAz wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

But since Thatcher gave most bus services to Stagecoach there's little chance of that. :shake head:

Not quite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_dereg ... at_Britain

I wouldn't say most. That's dependent on area. Arriva and Centrebus run most of the services around here. Stagecoach run a service from Luton to Milton Keynes on the WCML.
jra

Postby jra » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:44 am

Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

It's about delaying HS2, isn't it?

It's about both.

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
No humour allowed?

He is a special person.

Time and a place you guys.

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:The only places in Wales the train goes are some shitty coastal towns the picture I just posted isn't by the sea.
No trains inland and in the picture you can see the Thursday bus.

Never travelled along the Heart of Wales line then?

The Cambrian Coast LIne is rated as a very scenic railway going through some shitty coastal towns as you put it.

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:The only places in Wales the train goes are some shitty coastal towns the picture I just posted isn't by the sea.
No trains inland and in the picture you can see the Thursday bus.

The London-centric think the world revolves around them. :shake head:

The railway network is London centric, followed by Birmingham and Manchester. That's the reality. The same for motorways.

Now you two. Stop taking the piss. This could have been a decent discussion, but I should have known better this being SD.

Yes it is - and that's why your arguments have little appeal and make even less sense outside of it.

So your argument is that if it doesn't benefit you then it shouldn't be done? Well, that's HS2 out of the way for me. Would you not say that's a pretty selfish attitude?

All these electrification schemes in the north-west and Scotland haven't benefitted me at all yet and are not likely to in the near future.

I've still yet to hear that if it's OK for Spain, Italy, Germany and France to build numerous high-speed lines, then why not the UK just to have two for the time being.

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
No humour allowed?

Is the word congestion invisible to you guys?
jra

Postby Cannydc » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 pm

"Is the word congestion invisible to you guys?"

No - but the vast majority of congestion is in and around cities, especially around rush hours.

A fast rail line between London and Birmingham might ease congestion ON THAT ROUTE but absolutely nowhere else.

There are much higher priorities for that vast pile of cash - priorities of humanity over convenience - but some could certainly be earmarked to much better bus services, to far more effective park and ride schemes and to well funded car share schemes. While I'm at it, something could be done about the twice daily school run. I was never taken to school 7 miles away in a car, there was a school bus. They have also been cut, especially for kids living within a certain radius of their school. Reinstate.

If private enterprise sees a profit in HS2, private enterprise should fund it. Of course, they see no such thing - the rail companies will continue to hold out the begging bowl so they can pay shareholder dividends. Time to renationalise the whole system.
Cannydc

Postby McAz » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:Spending £100 billion to knock off a few minutes from a train journey is fucking hilarious while people are homeless and hungry. :shake head:

When a country is on its knees and borrowing every day to stay afloat as this one is then spending priorities should favour necessities like food and shelter not vanity projects like HS railways.
McAz

Postby calitom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:28 pm

McAz wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

i blame it on Stanley Baldwin
calitom

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:50 pm

calitom wrote:
McAz wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

i blame it on Stanley Baldwin

I'm surprised you don't blame it on Obama

Postby jra » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:32 am

Cannydc wrote:"Is the word congestion invisible to you guys?"

No - but the vast majority of congestion is in and around cities, especially around rush hours.

A fast rail line between London and Birmingham might ease congestion ON THAT ROUTE but absolutely nowhere else.

There are much higher priorities for that vast pile of cash - priorities of humanity over convenience - but some could certainly be earmarked to much better bus services, to far more effective park and ride schemes and to well funded car share schemes. While I'm at it, something could be done about the twice daily school run. I was never taken to school 7 miles away in a car, there was a school bus. They have also been cut, especially for kids living within a certain radius of their school. Reinstate.

If private enterprise sees a profit in HS2, private enterprise should fund it. Of course, they see no such thing - the rail companies will continue to hold out the begging bowl so they can pay shareholder dividends. Time to renationalise the whole system.

You don't say.

How many cities do you need?

The West Coast Main Line (WCML) is one of the most important railway corridors in the United Kingdom, connecting the major cities of London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, and Glasgow. It is one of the busiest mixed-traffic railway routes in Europe, carrying a mixture of intercity rail, regional rail, commuter rail and rail freight traffic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Main_Line

HS2 is going to be a relief line.
jra

Postby jra » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:45 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:Spending £100 billion to knock off a few minutes from a train journey is fucking hilarious while people are homeless and hungry. :shake head:

When a country is on its knees and borrowing every day to stay afloat as this one is then spending priorities should favour necessities like food and shelter not vanity projects like HS railways.

This country isn't on its knees. No more I would imagine than Spain, Germany, France and Italy. We are the 5th wealthiest country in the world by GDP.

Even in this deprived area, many people have got cars and many are BMWs and Audis. People have got enough money to do large amounts of brand new double glazing amongst other things.

So yes. The country is obviously on its knees.
jra

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs