Operation Yellowhammer

Re: Operation Yellowhammer

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Cannydc wrote:"I think he thinks he's bulletproof.
But I think the French would say non anyway."

The French are very unlikely to refuse a reasonable, time limited extension. They are simply putting pressure on Bojo by saying they might not.

There are 3 situations under which the EU as a whole will be kindly disposed:-

A General Election

A Deal needing to be passed through parliament

A fresh referendum.

They wouldn't refuse an extension in any of these cases, but there is no deal - according to EU Chiefs no new proposals are on the table from the UK. There's no referendum. But if Bojo is forced by law to apply for an extension he will surely resign. At that point, we are either in vote-of-no-confidence and/or an election. Whoever takes over from Bojo will apply for an extension, and get it. The EU will stand behind ROI, who desperately need a deal.

The French have built systems ready for customs checks from Britain having cost them time and money I don't think they will be looking favourably upon us.
Saying the EU will do this that and the other is not much more than wishful thinking.
Time has run out I'm afraid.
They'll be glad to see the back of us and who can blame them.
It's either withdraw article 50 which we can do or it's leave and we'll be leaving without a deal.
The EU won't be backing Corbyn.

There is a lot to what you say.

Whilst the UK government have done virtually nothing beyond having a secret risk register it constantly denounces the EU have quietly been seeking alternative sources for products it once got from the UK, preparing for the disruption to trade and most significantly positioning Dublin and Bonn to take over from London as the Financial Centre of Europe.

Right now Britain out of the EU presents a short term disruption for them covered by serious long term benefits - it's only their inbuilt reluctance to lose members that's holding them back - BTW Norway is quietly positioning itself closer to Europe,

As it's in the EEA is doesn't have to implement EU policies on:
- common agriculture and fisheries policies (although the EEA Agreement contains provisions on trade in agricultural and fish products);
- customs union;
- common trade policy;
- common foreign and security policy;
- justice and home affairs (although current EEA States are part of the Schengen area);
- direct and indirect taxation;
- economic and monetary union.

But it actually does co-operate with EU policy in most of these areas - their electronic banking is so seamless that Europeans in Norway don't see the need to carry any local currency
Cactus Jack

Re: Operation Yellowhammer

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Another Johnson promise - Doncaster to get broadband! :mrgreen:

Grafenwalder

Previous

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs