THE SICKNESS OF US HEALTHCARE

THE SICKNESS OF US HEALTHCARE

Postby Cannydc » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:51 pm

Americans are fond of saying that their political system, with its separate executive, judicial and legislative branches, has conflict “baked in”. It is supposed to be difficult to pass laws in the United States, because the Founding Fathers wanted to make damn sure their country would never again be dictated to by a monarch.

When you bake conflict into healthcare, however, everything goes awry. Republican mayors turn against Democratic county officials; Democratic governors turn against Republican presidents; Republican presidents begin to stockpile medication, steal protective equipment bound for other nations, and ask US factories not to supply life-saving ventilators to neighbouring countries.

People’s lives and deaths are forgotten as hospitals struggle to maintain their marketable statistics. City funds are used to buy medical supplies in a pandemic, because the federal government — even the state government — has no hope of accessing the data it would need to distribute supplies fairly.

Some states lock down and invest in drive-through testing facilities; others deny they have any patients at all while their sick citizens are passed from one place to another, none of which wants to take responsibility for Patient Zero.

It's a sad read based around a 17 year old who died of CV, and why California officials claim it was sepsis (a killer symptom of CV) as well as a damning commentary on US health insurance, who is covered and by how much.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long ... 53826.html
Cannydc

Re: THE SICKNESS OF US HEALTHCARE

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:10 am

Currently if you suspect you have Covid19 in the UK you can get tested and, if tested positive, know that if things take a turn for the worse you will be admitted to hospital and receive as much treatment as you require for as long as you require it without getting a bill at the end.

In the USA you risk a bill of $1,300 just to be tested and an average $43,000 to received treatment.

In the UK a patient in London can be taken to literally any hosptial in the UK where there is capacity - all are a part of the same system. In New York City alone there are three different systems with no formal links between them, if your insurer has an arrangement with a hospital that is full and there are empty beds across the street you cannot be moved without incurring a huge financial penalty.

The data is showing that Covid19 is spreading further and faster in the US than in any other country.
Cactus Jack

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:26 am

Why the issue re what he died of? He had the coronavirus and developed sepsis which happens when your immune system goes into overdrive - a cytokine storm. If he hadn't had the virus he wouldn't have had sepsis either.
Raggamuffin

Postby Fletch » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 am

“His family did have health insurance. When the family called [the urgent care centre] they were (correctly) told to take him to the emergency room. There was some initial confusion, possibly from language difficulties about the status of health insurance, but the family always had insurance. His family did everything possible to protect William, but this disease is fast and deadly.”

I know the health system in the US is crap but with what rags posted and the above from the article, why is this an issue about health insurance or even an issue about his sad death?
Fletch

Postby Cannydc » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:52 am

Fletch wrote:
“His family did have health insurance. When the family called [the urgent care centre] they were (correctly) told to take him to the emergency room. There was some initial confusion, possibly from language difficulties about the status of health insurance, but the family always had insurance. His family did everything possible to protect William, but this disease is fast and deadly.”

I know the health system in the US is crap but with what rags posted and the above from the article, why is this an issue about health insurance or even an issue about his sad death?

In simple terms it points to the fact that a huge number of people are bankrupted every year in the US due to either having no health insurance, or - even worse - having it but still getting huge bills because only 80% is covered. The original claim in US papers was that he had no insurance. This was later found to be untrue but the story highlights the confusion and fear within a system that is obviously not fit for purpose.
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:54 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Why the issue re what he died of? He had the coronavirus and developed sepsis which happens when your immune system goes into overdrive - a cytokine storm. If he hadn't had the virus he wouldn't have had sepsis either.

Los Angeles County officials decided they wouldn’t include the death of William in their official death toll after all. They said the CDC would need to “investigate further”. And just like that, the mysterious death of a healthy child from the novel coronavirus was erased from California’s official narrative.

California health authorities apparently didn't want to inflate Covid-19 fatalities.

Presumably there's a political, rather than medical reason.
Cannydc

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 am

Cannydc wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Why the issue re what he died of? He had the coronavirus and developed sepsis which happens when your immune system goes into overdrive - a cytokine storm. If he hadn't had the virus he wouldn't have had sepsis either.

Los Angeles County officials decided they wouldn’t include the death of William in their official death toll after all. They said the CDC would need to “investigate further”. And just like that, the mysterious death of a healthy child from the novel coronavirus was erased from California’s official narrative.

California health authorities apparently didn't want to inflate Covid-19 fatalities.

Perhaps a lot of people will think that sepsis is "blood poisoning" - ie, a separate. It is not blood poisoning, it's cause by the immune system itself reacting to a pathogen.
Raggamuffin

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:13 pm

Cannydc wrote:

It may be something to do with potential liability of the hospital?
Cactus Jack

Postby Holly » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:56 am

@ Rocthedog , stop the insults and stick with the topic.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 pm

I can never get my head around how the American people have been conned into having such a health system.
The richest country in the world with the crappiest health system in the modern world .... and people like Tom think it's just wonderful!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Major » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 am

Poor Shermans pay or die from that which I gather

SCRAP HS2 and give money for a improved NHS HERE.

I would scrap HS2 but government here is scared of the money men
Major
Twat.

Postby Cannydc » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:01 am

Major wrote:Poor Shermans pay or die from that which I gather

100% agree. And the mugs at the end of the £100bn line (Birmingham) are being sold a crock of shite dressed up as an economic miracle.

The money is so needed elsewhere, to be used for the good of all across the country.
Cannydc

Postby Major » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Major wrote:Poor Shermans pay or die from that which I gather

100% agree. And the mugs at the end of the £100bn line (Birmingham) are being sold a crock of shite dressed up as an economic miracle.

The money is so needed elsewhere, to be used for the good of all across the country.

THE GREATER GOOD OF THIS COUNTRY.
Everyone and I mean everyone I have spoken with about HS2 would scrap it, I have even lowered myself and spoken with Labour misguided souls. :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
Major
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:08 pm

How poor people survive in the USA

Rolluplostinspace

Postby Major » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:22 pm

It sickens me that we give away FREE our NHS to founuz who plunder it having NEVER contributed.

Also wasting money on those who claim in their minds they are the opposite sex to what nature visibly show they are and want their bits and pieces hacked about, our sick children NEED that money
Major
Twat.

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs