Cummings has left the building

Re: Cummings has left the building

Postby Text » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Dominic Cummings is an example of the sort of people who think policies are something that are set in stone and contrary facts are something to be explained away with spin and excuses.

Of all people Michael Gove should know this, when Cummings was a basically anonymous advisor in the DfE who gained the ear of Michael Gove his ideologically driven approach led to disaster after disaster and the maxim "there's no problem quite so bad that Michael Gove can't make it worse"

Amongst Cummings 'triumphs' in the DfE was the insistance that a section of a report on grammar schools showing that they denuded other schools of resources, favoured already privileged children and had a minimal and mostly negative impact on social mobility was literally left out when that report was given to the minister and not mentioned in the summary. Advised by Cummings Gove was such a disaster that even the association of head teachers - normally a very pro-conservative body - passed a vote of no confidence in him (Even Nicky Morgan didn't get that and she was unloved in the sector to say the very least)

Cummings is one of those who sounds good to idealists and wannabe demagogues who think that self belief and optimism coupled with, usually ham fisted attempts and transparent attempts at, Machiavellian strategies are a way to secure advancement. Unfortunately for those left in his trail of misery he has also always been a total failure and left swathes of destruction in his wake.

It's a gross disservice to him that he was hyped up as the bogeyman who everyone should be scared of. The BBC, the entire civil service, even the army - ministers kept telling them all "Cummings is going to sort you lot out, all of you."

So disrespectful to the army general to be told to his face that a scruffy unelected maverick was coming to sort him out. :scratch: Strange!
Text

Postby Text » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:29 pm

LordRaven wrote:Cummings actually did look a bit of a cunt, he reminded me of Nosferatu. But he has done rather well for himself, can't knock him for that.

I think I had him pegged somewhere between Rasputin, Richelieu & a Machevelian villain.
Maybe his true character lies somewhere in the middle of these 4 stereotypes. :smilin:
Text

Postby Robespierre » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Text wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Cummings actually did look a bit of a cunt, he reminded me of Nosferatu. But he has done rather well for himself, can't knock him for that.

I think I had him pegged somewhere between Rasputin, Richelieu & a Machevelian villain.
Maybe his true character lies somewhere in the middle of these 4 stereotypes. :smilin:

They’re all cunts out for self promotion and fuck all the others.
Robespierre

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Text wrote:

Nah, we saw his true character in the Rose Garden. A snivelling, sly, lying twat. Not an ounce of charisma.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Text wrote:

Nah, we saw his true character in the Rose Garden. A snivelling, sly, lying twat. Not an ounce of charisma.

At least he made an effort, and wore a shirt. :gigglesnshit:
Even if he dig himself into a very big hole.

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

Klute and Number 10 aren’t very similar places, and to say that his approach to work there might have been the same as that which ended his job at Number 10 would be going a bit far. That said, if his hyper-focused management style and lack of conscientiousness made us feel uncomfortable after a skinful at 3am in the good-time work environment of Klute nightclub, working with him at the seat of Government during your 9-5 can’t have been easy.

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-cummings-i-knew/
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby Text » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:52 pm

"He's left the building" OP - but there are still other unelected paid 'advisers' swanning in and out of the revolving doors of number ten.
Shame that the misery that underpins this pandemic has been such a source of unending wealth for the greedy pigs. They all came running out the woodwork to immerse their snouts in the trough, eh OP? :shake head:

The latest paid "advisor" is a High Street retailing businesswoman Gina Coladangelo who just happens to be an old school chum of Hancock's. Isn't it a form of sleazy corruption that the tories can just put their unelected mates on the payroll, at will? They invent gimmicky nonsense roles with vague descriptions like "advisor" - translation they probably have a quick phone chat about once a month. Miss Codangelo was also given a parliamentary pass sponsored by Tory peer Lord Bethel, despite not working for his team, the Sunday Times reported.
Another example of chronyism - a PR firm run by former Tory chairman Lord Feldman was awarded a £28million Government contract after a meeting in which he was "advising" Matt Hancock on Covid. Additionally his business now "advises" Oxford Nanopore after he worked for the Department of Health in March.

Apparently campaigners submitted a legal challenge alleging that Mr Johnson and Mr Hancock acted 'unlawfully' when appointing key figures to top posts during the coronavirus crisis.

Labour's Angela Rayner said: "Another week, another cronyism scandal. 'Whether it's giving contracts worth millions of pounds to their chums or giving lobbyist mates jobs and access to secret information, this government is making a MOCKERY of our national effort against coronavirus."
Text

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Text wrote:"He's left the building" OP - but there are still other unelected paid 'advisers' swanning in and out of the revolving doors of number ten.
Shame that the misery that underpins this pandemic has been such a source of unending wealth for the greedy pigs. They all came running out the woodwork to immerse their snouts in the trough, eh OP? :shake head:

The latest paid "advisor" is a High Street retailing businesswoman Gina Coladangelo who just happens to be an old school chum of Hancock's. Isn't it a form of sleazy corruption that the tories can just put their unelected mates on the payroll, at will? They invent gimmicky nonsense roles with vague descriptions like "advisor" - translation they probably have a quick phone chat about once a month. Miss Codangelo was also given a parliamentary pass sponsored by Tory peer Lord Bethel, despite not working for his team, the Sunday Times reported.
Another example of chronyism - a PR firm run by former Tory chairman Lord Feldman was awarded a £28million Government contract after a meeting in which he was "advising" Matt Hancock on Covid. Additionally his business now "advises" Oxford Nanopore after he worked for the Department of Health in March.

Apparently campaigners submitted a legal challenge alleging that Mr Johnson and Mr Hancock acted 'unlawfully' when appointing key figures to top posts during the coronavirus crisis.

Labour's Angela Rayner said: "Another week, another cronyism scandal. 'Whether it's giving contracts worth millions of pounds to their chums or giving lobbyist mates jobs and access to secret information, this government is making a MOCKERY of our national effort against coronavirus."

Sickening isn't it?

Then there's this;

Boris Johnson faces a Tory cronyism revolt after trying to secure a £90,000-a-year party post for a 'political novice' who is one of fiancée Carrie Symonds's best friends.

The Prime Minister wants to appoint former TalkRadio journalist Ross Kempsell, 28, as Conservative director of research despite angry protests from senior Tories, the Daily Mail has been told.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0-job.html
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby Stooo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:16 pm

^^Yes. It’s time to bring back some emotional intelligence to the political landscape. Self belief is one thing but self delusion causes long term harm.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am

Fascinating thread about collapsing support for the Conservative Government in Red Wall seats. One big reason - Cummings and his sightseeing trip.

Also - most popular politician in Red Wall seats is...Rishi Sunak. We could very well have our first Prime Minister who is a POC within the next five years (although not first PM from a minority community. That was Disraeli.)
Avon Barksdale

Postby .SF. » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:41 am

What's a POC?
.SF.

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:44 am

.SF. wrote:What's a POC?

Person of colour.
Avon Barksdale

Postby drum » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:44 am