Coronavirus Thread Part 3

Re: Coronavirus Thread Part 3

Postby Maddog » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I don't see why there should be more deaths from flu this year. Having flu in previous years doesn't cause immunity to future variations of the flu virus, and the lack of flu infections last year shouldn't make a difference. Those who are more likely to die from flu complications should get the vaccine anyway. I do appreciate that it's difficult for them to predict the variation this year but I don't think it will make a big difference.

I read or heard somewhere that it is more likely to be fatal if you have it in conjunction with coronavirus, and as being vaccinated against both will reduce the risk of developing the full on illness of one or both of them, you are therefore less likely to become ill enough for it to become fatal or need intensive treatment

dunno if i've explained that well, sorry

Yes, I can see that - a dose of Covid and flu at the same time could very well finish some people off. I don't think they're talking about that though. They're talking about a "lack of immunity" to flu because not many people had it last year. We don't have acquired immunity to new strains anyway though - that's why we have a jab every year.

I wonder if old strains circle back around. I think there are usually more than one strain which is why flu shots don't always work.

Over here, we had almost zero cases of RSV last winter, which is unheard of. By this summer we had an explosion in cases of that virus, which is also unheard of. It's one reason of pediatric beds filled up this summer. My grand daughter spent a couple nights in the hospital back in June.

Covid, and our modifications to deal with it, have turned all sorts of other "bugs" on their head with how they impact us.

I have to say, that besides having Covid, I haven't had so much as a sniffle in 18 months. Of course I say that and the flu may kill me next month..
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Maddog wrote:I wonder if old strains circle back around. I think there are usually more than one strain which is why flu shots don't always work.

Over here, we had almost zero cases of RSV last winter, which is unheard of. By this summer we had an explosion in cases of that virus, which is also unheard of. It's one reason of pediatric beds filled up this summer. My grand daughter spent a couple nights in the hospital back in June.

Covid, and our modifications to deal with it, have turned all sorts of other "bugs" on their head with how they impact us.

I have to say, that besides having Covid, I haven't had so much as a sniffle in 18 months. Of course I say that and the flu may kill me next month..

There are new strains of flu each year and most of the measures against covid, with varying degrees of accident or design, were also there to prevent the spread of other illnesses. That's because the measures were not, and still are not, there to prevent covid to give a patient a 95% chance of getting an ICU bed if the need one.

Since measures to prevent the spread of covid will naturally tend to supress RSV and flu it follows that breakouts of RSV and flu may be indications that covid is spreading where there is no other testing available
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:28 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:I wonder if old strains circle back around. I think there are usually more than one strain which is why flu shots don't always work.

There are new strains of flu each year and most of the measures against covid, with varying degrees of accident or design, were also there to prevent the spread of other illnesses. That's because the measures were not, and still are not, there to prevent covid to give a patient a 95% chance of getting an ICU bed if the need one.

Since measures to prevent the spread of covid will naturally tend to supress RSV and flu it follows that breakouts of RSV and flu may be indications that covid is spreading where there is no other testing available

RSV, and Covid are tested for, especially in a hospital environment. We know whether a child has RSV or Covid.

But yeah, the Covid precautions have suppressed some other illnesses. Until they are removed.

It's almost like too sterile of an environment, free from exposure to normal bugs, is as problematic as exposure to too many of those bugs. Sort of supports the idea of allowing kids to play in the dirt with each other. Builds up some immunity.
Maddog

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:45 am

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

RSV, and Covid are tested for, especially in a hospital environment. We know whether a child has RSV or Covid.

But yeah, the Covid precautions have suppressed some other illnesses. Until they are removed.

It's almost like too sterile of an environment, free from exposure to normal bugs, is as problematic as exposure to too many of those bugs. Sort of supports the idea of allowing kids to play in the dirt with each other. Builds up some immunity.

Playing in dirt won't build immunity to microbes which an individual has not encountered before though.
Raggamuffin

Postby Maddog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:44 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Playing in dirt won't build immunity to microbes which an individual has not encountered before though.

True, but hanging out with other dirty, stinky kids might.

My point is that we are seeing dramatic swings in illness based on our preventive measures being used to tackle covid.

RSV was one example.
Maddog

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:52 am

Maddog wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

True, but hanging out with other dirty, stinky kids might.

My point is that we are seeing dramatic swings in illness based on our preventive measures being used to tackle covid.

RSV was one example.

It might be that everyone was catching RSV at the same time rather than it being spread out over time? There's no reason that anyone should be more susceptible to catching it than usual.
Raggamuffin

Postby drum » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:50 am

I'm still wearing masks, all lurgies can just do one.
I've got my flu jag on Thursday I think, need to check i've got the right date.
How are you after your double dose Rags?
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 am

drum wrote:I'm still wearing masks, all lurgies can just do one.

I'm fine thank you drum. I did mention I had side effects but they've gone now. I think that was probably from the Covid jab rather than the flu jab - I've never had side effects from a flu jab before.

I still wear a mask as well. I know they're supposed to protect others rather than yourself, but at least if someone sneezes near you it should stop some of it getting to you. :laughing: The other day a man was right up behind me in the supermarket and I couldn't get away from him!
Raggamuffin

Postby drum » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:04 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

I'm fine thank you drum. I did mention I had side effects but they've gone now. I think that was probably from the Covid jab rather than the flu jab - I've never had side effects from a flu jab before.

I still wear a mask as well. I know they're supposed to protect others rather than yourself, but at least if someone sneezes near you it should stop some of it getting to you. :laughing: The other day a man was right up behind me in the supermarket and I couldn't get away from him!

Loads of people are coughing and spluttering now, not even bothering covering their mouths, someone close behind me would irritate me too but i'd say something to them, ask nicely to step back and if I get ignored they get swore at :gigglesnshit: That doesnt happen often, I've just got one of those faces
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:07 am

drum wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Loads of people are coughing and spluttering now, not even bothering covering their mouths, someone close behind me would irritate me too but i'd say something to them, ask nicely to step back and if I get ignored they get swore at :gigglesnshit: That doesnt happen often, I've just got one of those faces

I would normally do that, but I know that he has learning difficulties so I didn't like to. I couldn't really move forward because there was someone in front of me and they might have sworn at me. :gigglesnshit:
Raggamuffin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Testing centres are being attacked by anti-Vaxxers so mild to moderate cases that don't get into hospitals are probably being missed.

I wouldn't want to go to a testing centre and be attacked by an anti-vaxxer mob in MAGA hats.

Postby Maddog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:59 pm

Guest wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Testing centres are being attacked by anti-Vaxxers so mild to moderate cases that don't get into hospitals are probably being missed.

I wouldn't want to go to a testing centre and be attacked by an anti-vaxxer mob in MAGA hats.

No one is attacking testing centers. You can get tested at the drop of a hat here. At least for covid.

And again, that doesn't explain hospitalization rates for RSV going to zero last winter, and then setting new records for infants, this summer.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:02 pm

I have one in my truck. It was on my face one time in 6 months.

Life is normal here, except maybe 5% of the public is wearing masks where they don't have to.

Planes, busses and hospitals still require them..
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:47 pm

phpBB [video]

Over 106,000 people in that stadium Saturday night.

I saw one mask in that video.

And zero social distancing.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Maddog wrote:
Guest wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

No one is attacking testing centers. You can get tested at the drop of a hat here. At least for covid.

And again, that doesn't explain hospitalization rates for RSV going to zero last winter, and then setting new records for infants, this summer.

The One True Voice speaks the only permitted Truth.

Jim Acosta is lying and is a tech genius who manufactured these images

Cactus Jack

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs