To Stop Climate Change.............................

To Stop Climate Change.............................

Postby Maddog » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:41 pm

In order to save the planet from catastrophic climate change, Americans will have to cut their energy use by more than 90 percent and families of four should live in housing no larger than 640 square feet. That's at least according to a team of European researchers led by University of Leeds sustainability researcher Jefim Vogel. In their new study, "Socio-economic conditions for satisfying human needs at low energy use," in Global Environmental Change, they calculate that public transportation should account for most travel. Travel should, in any case, be limited to between 3,000 to 10,000 miles per person annually.

Vogel and his colleagues set themselves the goal of figuring out how to "provide sufficient need satisfaction at much lower, ecologically sustainable levels of energy use." Referencing earlier sustainability studies they argue that human needs are sufficiently satisfied when each person has access to the energy equivalent of 7,500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity per capita. That is about how much energy the average Bolivian uses. Currently, Americans use about 80,000 kWh annually per capita. With respect to transportation and physical mobility, the average person would be limited to using the energy equivalent of 16–40 gallons of gasoline per year. People are assumed to take one short- to medium-haul airplane trip every three years or so.

In addition, food consumption per capita would vary depending on age and other conditions, but the average would be 2,100 calories per day. While just over 10 percent of the world's people are unfortunately still undernourished, the Food and Agriculture Organization reports that the daily global average food supply now stands at just under 3,000 calories per person. Each individual is allocated a new clothing allowance of nine pounds per year, and clothes may be washed 20 times annually. The good news is that everyone over age 10 is permitted a mobile phone and each household can have a laptop.

https://reason.com/2021/07/02/to-stop-c ... arsely-api

I hope there is a Plan B in the works, as this one won't cut it. :kinell:
Maddog

Re: To Stop Climate Change.............................

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Maddog wrote:In order to save the planet from catastrophic climate change, Americans will have to cut their energy use by more than 90 percent and families of four should live in housing no larger than 640 square feet. That's at least according to a team of European researchers led by University of Leeds sustainability researcher Jefim Vogel. In their new study, "Socio-economic conditions for satisfying human needs at low energy use," in Global Environmental Change, they calculate that public transportation should account for most travel. Travel should, in any case, be limited to between 3,000 to 10,000 miles per person annually.

Vogel and his colleagues set themselves the goal of figuring out how to "provide sufficient need satisfaction at much lower, ecologically sustainable levels of energy use." Referencing earlier sustainability studies they argue that human needs are sufficiently satisfied when each person has access to the energy equivalent of 7,500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity per capita. That is about how much energy the average Bolivian uses. Currently, Americans use about 80,000 kWh annually per capita. With respect to transportation and physical mobility, the average person would be limited to using the energy equivalent of 16–40 gallons of gasoline per year. People are assumed to take one short- to medium-haul airplane trip every three years or so.

In addition, food consumption per capita would vary depending on age and other conditions, but the average would be 2,100 calories per day. While just over 10 percent of the world's people are unfortunately still undernourished, the Food and Agriculture Organization reports that the daily global average food supply now stands at just under 3,000 calories per person. Each individual is allocated a new clothing allowance of nine pounds per year, and clothes may be washed 20 times annually. The good news is that everyone over age 10 is permitted a mobile phone and each household can have a laptop.

I'm in denial as stated many times.
http://www.thesleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=73127&hilit=+climate&sid=bc834e2f28227b51fecaf5bb3e2ebf05
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:25 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Maddog wrote:In order to save the planet from catastrophic climate change, Americans will have to cut their energy use by more than 90 percent and families of four should live in housing no larger than 640 square feet. That's at least according to a team of European researchers led by University of Leeds sustainability researcher Jefim Vogel. In their new study, "Socio-economic conditions for satisfying human needs at low energy use," in Global Environmental Change, they calculate that public transportation should account for most travel. Travel should, in any case, be limited to between 3,000 to 10,000 miles per person annually.

I'm in denial as stated many times.
http://www.thesleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=73127&hilit=+climate&sid=9abe08ccb466654d9464ea40cb08e264

Like any threat, it will be used by folks for political and financial gain (like covid).

Doesn't mean there isn't a threat, but simply that it will be exaggerated to get people to act. Fear is a powerful weapon and it will get people to change behavior.

But the living conditions described by these folks will not fly in the US and there is no mechanism in place that could force it down people's throats. Not beyond a local level in a few areas.
Maddog

Postby Holly » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:47 am

Wow, looking forward to a fabulous future :yess:

So we will only be able to do 1.5 washes or thereabouts per month ( oh how fresh we will smell when living in a small space with other people) Long haul flights to exotic destinations will be out of the question, and holidays every 3 years sounds like a dream come true... cutting energy by more than 90 percent will mean people in colder climates will freeze in winter, so what, put some clothe on. New clothing allowance of nine pounds per year sounds a real treat too....What's not to like? :wubbers:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:45 am

Holly wrote:

Wow, looking forward to a fabulous future :yess:

So we will only be able to do 1.5 washes or thereabouts per month ( oh how fresh we will smell when living in a small space with other people) Long haul flights to exotic destinations will be out of the question, and holidays every 3 years sounds like a dream come true... cutting energy by more than 90 percent will mean people in colder climates will freeze in winter, so what, put some clothe on. New clothing allowance of nine pounds per year sounds a real treat too....What's not to like? :wubbers:

I spent about the last 3 years in a hip, gentrified area in a one bedroom apartment that was a out 640 square ft. It was OK for just me. Can't see 4 people in it.

I don't think these people are serious. Wonder how much this study cost?
Maddog

Postby .SF. » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:08 am

Holly wrote:Wow, looking forward to a fabulous future :yess:

Good point. God forbid people might have to miss out on long haul flights to exotic destinations just for the sake of the planet.
.SF.

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:31 am

.SF. wrote:

Good point. God forbid people might have to miss out on long haul flights to exotic destinations just for the sake of the planet.

And no more than 16-40 gallons of gas a year.

I use that every week and in one trip to two of my daughter's places.

I guess I could take two days to travel each way on my bicycle when the weather is decent.
Maddog

Postby .SF. » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:53 am

I can't remember if I saw it here or on the 'chaotic musings' forum, but didn't you once present an argument against global warming based on an experiment involving a heater in a bathroom and its effect on the temperature of a bath of water?
.SF.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:27 am

Maddog wrote:
.SF. wrote:

I guess I could take two days to travel each way on my bicycle when the weather is decent.

Or you could use an electric vehicle powered by all the sunshine we get in Texas.

Please don't try to make everyone in my state look stupid.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:48 am

.SF. wrote:

I can't remember if I saw it here or on the 'chaotic musings' forum, but didn't you once present an argument against global warming based on an experiment involving a heater in a bathroom and its effect on the temperature of a bath of water?

Climate change is happening.
Man is contributing to it in a miniscule way.
The alarmist stuff is bullshit.
The bath water story came from scientific America.
The glaciers that are melting in the Arctic and Antarctic are being warmed from the water below not from the atmosphere. Four years on the run glaciers on Greenland have been rapidly growing.
The increased CO2 is causing more greening of the earth.
More CO2 = more food more timber more flowers more greenery more oxygen production.
Have a nice day.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:50 am

if it happened elsewhere perhaps that is where that part of it should be discussed

please keep to the topic being discussed on dogs

thanks
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:07 pm

.SF. wrote:

Yes, God forbid people might want to live their lives and perhaps see the world in their short life on this planet. I know you aren't a young man, so I'm sure you saw the world, right? You want to begrudge the same to the younger generation? You know what? I don't believe for one moment you believe that crap you're posting, you just enjoy being controversial. I know you're not an idiot, but I believe you try very hard to be controversial for the heck of it...Am I right? Tell me, what is it YOU do save the planet? Or what did YOU do in the past? Been on planes? Drive a car? Use non toxic toilet cleaners etc? Please tell me. If you say yes to any of my questions, you're a hypocrite.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:31 pm

Holly wrote:
.SF. wrote:

Yes, God forbid people might want to live their lives and perhaps see the world in their short life on this planet. I know you aren't a young man, so I'm sure you saw the world, right? You want to begrudge the same to the younger generation? You know what? I don't believe for one moment you believe that crap you're posting, you just enjoy being controversial. I know you're not an idiot, but I believe you try very hard to be controversial for the heck of it...Am I right? Tell me, what is it YOU do save the planet? Or what did YOU do in the past? Been on planes? Drive a car? Use non toxic toilet cleaners etc? Please tell me. If you say yes to any of my questions, you're a hypocrite.

Surely it's a question of how much people do those things. Perhaps some people shove toilet cleaner down the toilet every five minutes. Maybe some people have a car but don't use it all the time. They might go on planes but not every week like some others might.
Raggamuffin

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:46 pm

The planet will be fine.

It got on perfectly well without the dinosaurs and man is barely out of nappies when we consider the length of time they were the dominant species.

If man turns the planet into a tropical toxic mudball where man cannot survive some other dominant species will emerge and man will be just a bad memory.

Postby Holly » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:59 pm

Guest wrote:
Maddog wrote:
.SF. wrote:

Or you could use an electric vehicle powered by all the sunshine we get in Texas.

Please don't try to make everyone in my state look stupid.

Your state? Are you saying you are American?
Holly
Site Admin

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs