Footballer shreds Patel

Re: Footballer shreds Patel

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:08 am

Major wrote:All political demonstrations should be banned from sport IMHO with the action of a ban if anyone or all take part..

I wouldn't say the knee thing should be banned - I think they're doing it to support the black players really. However, it's a bit silly to think that everyone is going to cheer or join in, or that there won't be nasty comments about it. A lot of people will see it as political or an empty gesture.
Raggamuffin

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:29 am

Major wrote:All political demonstrations should be banned from sport IMHO with the action of a ban if anyone or all take part..

don't be so fucking stupid

taking the knee has been politicised, the act isn't political

that said what are your thoughts on the boycotting of South Africa during the apartheid era? shouldn't that have been allowed?
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 am

Cactus Jack wrote:The government had a really easy job at the start of this tournament, to unite the nation and give them a little relief from the spectre of Covid.

There were three British teams in the competition, Wales, Scotland and England, and all the UK government had to do was back all three equally. The propaganda points available for Boris Johnson backing the Scotland football team while Nicola Sturgeon appeared more inward looking and insular by backing only Scotland alone was worth it's weight in gold. But sadly that's not where this Government's instincts lie. They are Little Englanders to the last man and even their definition of who is 'English' was very fluid.

When the England team took the knee for all their games and Scotland did not it was another publicity coup on a plate just begging to be exploited. Just as much as having other European sides not take part in this international symbol of solidarity on racial justice was a perfect opportunity to give some EU countries a dig in the ribs - an opportunity missed.

Of course this was because the Tories thought England would go out in the first round, or certainly by the quarter finals where the best case scenario was Germany and we all knew what happened when England played Germany in a major tournament in every year since 1966. In reality the decision not to back 'taking the knee' was a decision that said England would lose in the second round at best, and they were wrong.

Had things gone to plan for Boris interest in Euros would have dwindled when England went out and opening the pubs and bars would not have resulted in a quadrupling of the rates of covid in most major cities.

Had things gone to plan for Boris he could have harrumphed about England players getting involved in politics, a little payback for Marcus Rashford who shamed them into helping starving children in the UK get one decent meal a day, and preened themselves for wanting to keep sport and politics separate.

Of course once England started to do well Boris, who hates football, had to jump on the bandwagon and that's why and his government have shown themselves to the two faced cunts they are

So you are basing this drivel theory on 'The Tories' predicting England would get knocked out in the first round? LMAO
Red Okktober

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:23 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The government had a really easy job at the start of this tournament, to unite the nation and give them a little relief from the spectre of Covid.

There were three British teams in the competition, Wales, Scotland and England, and all the UK government had to do was back all three equally. The propaganda points available for Boris Johnson backing the Scotland football team while Nicola Sturgeon appeared more inward looking and insular by backing only Scotland alone was worth it's weight in gold. But sadly that's not where this Government's instincts lie. They are Little Englanders to the last man and even their definition of who is 'English' was very fluid.

When the England team took the knee for all their games and Scotland did not it was another publicity coup on a plate just begging to be exploited. Just as much as having other European sides not take part in this international symbol of solidarity on racial justice was a perfect opportunity to give some EU countries a dig in the ribs - an opportunity missed.

Of course this was because the Tories thought England would go out in the first round, or certainly by the quarter finals where the best case scenario was Germany and we all knew what happened when England played Germany in a major tournament in every year since 1966. In reality the decision not to back 'taking the knee' was a decision that said England would lose in the second round at best, and they were wrong.

Had things gone to plan for Boris interest in Euros would have dwindled when England went out and opening the pubs and bars would not have resulted in a quadrupling of the rates of covid in most major cities.

Had things gone to plan for Boris he could have harrumphed about England players getting involved in politics, a little payback for Marcus Rashford who shamed them into helping starving children in the UK get one decent meal a day, and preened themselves for wanting to keep sport and politics separate.

Of course once England started to do well Boris, who hates football, had to jump on the bandwagon and that's why and his government have shown themselves to the two faced cunts they are

The English politicians were going to support England weren't they? It's not rocket science. The Scots backed Scotland, and the Welsh backed Wales. The difference is that had Scotland or Wales gone though instead of England, I bet most English people would have backed them - unlike the Scots who apparently backed Italy because they couldn't bear supporting England.

I doubt it was just the Tories who expected England to be knocked out earlier - I should think most people expected that, based on experience.

You don't have to actually like football much to follow the Euros. I don't watch football generally either - I find it quite boring - but that changes when England plays. You should stop being so black and white about such things.

I think you're reading far too much into the whole thing.

Boris Johnson is the British Prime Minister.

Members of his cabinet are a part of the British government

Even the American observed that he should support all three British countries equally.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:26 am

I was surprised by England this year.

Like almost everyone else I hoped they would do well but realistically you expect England to go out by the quarter finals at best

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:40 am

Red Okktober wrote:

So you are basing this drivel theory on 'The Tories' predicting England would get knocked out in the first round? LMAO

Not just a prediction - it was a plan apparently. :gigglesnshit:
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:43 am

Can Red not manage without your tag teaming?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:57 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Can Red not manage without your tag teaming?

I was just correcting his post. You don't seem to have a problem with that. Could you manage to stop being an arse?
Raggamuffin

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am

Guest wrote:I was surprised by England this year.

Like almost everyone else I hoped they would do well but realistically you expect England to go out by the quarter finals at best

England played better than usual IMO, but they still have that tendency to muck about with the ball instead of attacking, and they still play the ball backwards too often. They got lucky in the semi finals - one own goal and one penalty which Kane missed initially but then managed to kick the ball in from a short distance.
Raggamuffin

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:22 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:

that said what are your thoughts on the boycotting of South Africa during the apartheid era? shouldn't that have been allowed?

Maybe the Soccer team should have boycotted the Euros all together.

That would have sent a strong message to the privileged.
Maddog

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Maddog wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

I wouldn't mind either way - I guess you'd have to view taking the knee on a par with apartheid to give a shit

I'm unclear about your views though, as you've jumped in you might at least have answered with clarity re: south africa
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:19 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Maddog wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

I wouldn't mind either way - I guess you'd have to view taking the knee on a par with apartheid to give a shit

I'm unclear about your views though, as you've jumped in you might at least have answered with clarity re: south africa

I would leave these decisions to the players themselves.

They shouldn't pay the price for the stupid actions of a government.

They could have shown up, dropped their shorts and mooned the S Aftican fans for all I care. Just understand that I think it would have irritated the hell out of some people, which is fine as long as the players and supporters of the act admitted that's why it was done...
Maddog

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Maddog wrote:

They could have shown up, dropped their shorts and mooned the S Aftican fans for all I care. Just understand that I think it would have irritated the hell out of some people, which is fine as long as the players and supporters of the act admitted that's why it was done...

do you think there is some action being played out where the reason it is done isn't admitted?

could you clarify please which act you are refering to and what the actual reason for it is - thanks
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:00 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Maddog wrote:

do you think there is some action being played out where the reason it is done isn't admitted?

could you clarify please which act you are refering to and what the actual reason for it is - thanks

In this act, it was the act of mooning and it.would have been done to show disrespect towards the S African government and people for current apartheid policies.
Maddog

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Maddog wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
Maddog wrote:

In this act, it was the act of mooning and it.would have been done to show disrespect towards the S African government and people for current apartheid policies.

so you weren't referencing a different act

your use of the ellipsis was entirely superfluous then, as there was nothing you weren't saying
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs