Celebrity sued for using photograph of herself

Celebrity sued for using photograph of herself

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 pm

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0 ... f-herself/

Dua Lipa is being sued for posting a paparazzi photo of herself on her Instagram page.

The English singer was photographed queuing at an airport in February 2019 and later shared the shot to her Instagram "without permission or authorisation", court documents filed in the US state.

The since-deleted post showed the New Rules star standing in line with her luggage while wearing a large black hat.

She wrote in the caption: "I'll be living under big fluffy hats until further notice."

I struggled with this one until I looked into it and found she will probably lose.

The rules of copyright say that the copyright to a picture belong to the photographer. It can be a picuture of a tree, a dog, a bike or a person the copyright to the picture itself are the property of the photographer.

The person in the photograph does have some rights over the use of their image but, and this is hard to get your head around, they don't have the copyright to their image in that picture. In fact if the celebrity staged a photograph that was intentionally similar and took the photograph themselves to get around that problem they could still be sued for copyright infringement.

This probably won't be a big topic but it's one of those odd little stories.
Cactus Jack

Re: Celebrity sued for using photograph of herself

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0712/1234518-dua-lipa-sued-for-posting-paparazzi-picture-of-herself/

Dua Lipa is being sued for posting a paparazzi photo of herself on her Instagram page.

The English singer was photographed queuing at an airport in February 2019 and later shared the shot to her Instagram "without permission or authorisation", court documents filed in the US state.

The since-deleted post showed the New Rules star standing in line with her luggage while wearing a large black hat.

She wrote in the caption: "I'll be living under big fluffy hats until further notice."

I struggled with this one until I looked into it and found she will probably lose.

The rules of copyright say that the copyright to a picture belong to the photographer. It can be a picuture of a tree, a dog, a bike or a person the copyright to the picture itself are the property of the photographer.

The person in the photograph does have some rights over the use of their image but, and this is hard to get your head around, they don't have the copyright to their image in that picture. In fact if the celebrity staged a photograph that was intentionally similar and took the photograph themselves to get around that problem they could still be sued for copyright infringement.

Part of it is because she is in a public place.

I take pictures of homes all of the time. People often freak out when they see some strange looking man slowing down in front of their home snapping a quick photo.

Been chased down before. But, the picture is my picture, even though it's not my house, and the owner of the house has no right to my picture.

That being said, if there are kids in the yard, the picture doesn't get taken. I'm in no mood to speak to an armed father chasing me down the highway.

Not that they could catch me. :cool:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:31 am

With a building or a public space I can kind of understand that it's just when it comes to not having the copyright to your own face it seems kind of weird.

You're definitely right, but it's weird
Cactus Jack

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0712/1234518-dua-lipa-sued-for-posting-paparazzi-picture-of-herself/

I take pictures of homes all of the time. People often freak out when they see some strange looking man slowing down in front of their home snapping a quick photo.

Been chased down before. But, the picture is my picture, even though it's not my house, and the owner of the house has no right to my picture.

That being said, if there are kids in the yard, the picture doesn't get taken. I'm in no mood to speak to an armed father chasing me down the highway.

This guy walks the streets of Moscow filming fat cats illegally parked. I thought he was going to get whacked but he just keeps on going! The police were useless but no doubt got a bung off Maybach man.

phpBB [video]
Grafenwalder

Postby Grafenwalder » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:With a building or a public space I can kind of understand that it's just when it comes to not having the copyright to your own face it seems kind of weird.

You're definitely right, but it's weird

This is one of those bizarre cases which has one part of me laughing but another feeling a degree of sympathy for the singer girl. The report is correct though, copyright is owned by the photographer so she can't win. The price of fame eh?!!
Grafenwalder

Postby drum » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:18 am

Maddog wrote:

Why are you taking pictures of people homes ? Be lucky you're not outside mine, I'd come out after you .. and have done previously when I caught someone taking a photo of my flat on their ipad :roll: . I have photos of them now too and their car reg etc. Knock the door and ask first. :snooty:
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:19 am

Someone took a photo of a member's house once and posted it.

As for this story, the photographer must be very mean-spirited. I hope she wins.
Raggamuffin

Postby xtras1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:17 am

Wow such a huge amount :yikes:
xtras1

Postby xtras1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:18 am

Maddog wrote:

Pray do tell why are you slowing down taking photos , then rushing off :ooer:
xtras1

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:10 am

xtras1 wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Pray do tell why are you slowing down taking photos , then rushing off :ooer:

:doomed:
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:05 pm

Maddog wrote:

I've had pictures of my front door taken by stalkers and posted on other forums as intimidation, there's some strange people out there.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:16 pm

drum wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Why are you taking pictures of people homes ? Be lucky you're not outside mine, I'd come out after you .. and have done previously when I caught someone taking a photo of my flat on their ipad :roll: . I have photos of them now too and their car reg etc. Knock the door and ask first. :snooty:

Maybe they're taking photos of the building in it's entirety - not just specifically your flat? Is it an old building or does it have some historical connection?

My son and his wife live opposite houses which were used as a scene location in The Beatles movie "Help". They get fans (mainly Japanese girls!) turning up now and then taking photos. Pete Townshends pad isn't so far off either and I took a photo of that just as he was leaving the house though I missed him by nano seconds! Having bought it off Ronnie Wood that place is steeped in history from rock royalty! Further up the road from Petes pad is Mick Jaggers old house - the one he handed to Jerry Hall as part of their divorce settlement.

It's also worth remembering that all these properties can now easily be viewed via Google Earth - including the building where your flat is.
Grafenwalder

Postby xtras1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:31 pm

Maddog still interested to know why you are cruising outside people's property taking photos... answer the question god dammit :razz:
xtras1

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:58 pm

xtras1 wrote:Maddog still interested to know why you are cruising outside people's property taking photos... answer the question god dammit :razz:

He works for Google Earth - :gigglesnshit:

Here's of of his Image
Cactus Jack

Postby xtras1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:25 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
xtras1 wrote:Maddog still interested to know why you are cruising outside people's property taking photos... answer the question god dammit :razz:

He works for Google Earth - :gigglesnshit:

Here's of of his Image

hahah! i am curious to know :ooer: seems odd, hasn't got the tenants permission sneaks 'snaps' then dashes off :mrgreen:
xtras1

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs