Trump-backed candidate loses in Texas special election

Trump-backed candidate loses in Texas special election

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:37 am

Susan Wright, the widow of the previous seat holder and Trump back candidate in a special run-off election in North Texas was beaten by Jake Ellzey in a contest seen as a test of Trump's post presidency clout.

Trump crashed into the race during the first round of voting in May, tapping Wright out of a crowded all-party primary and turning the contest into an early test of his post-presidency clout. He held two tele-town halls for her and taped a robocall for her, making the loss more painful.

Trump’s influence will be put to the test again next week in Ohio where a slew of Republicans are vying to fill the Columbus-area seat of former Rep. Steve Stivers, who left Congress to run his state's Chamber of Commerce. Trump is backing Republican Mike Carey in that race, though some of his allies have backed other candidates. Stivers threw his backing behind state Rep. Jeff LaRe.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/2 ... ion-501153
Cactus Jack

Re: Trump-backed candidate loses in Texas special election

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Susan Wright, the widow of the previous seat holder and Trump back candidate in a special run-off election in North Texas was beaten by Jake Ellzey in a contest seen as a test of Trump's post presidency clout.

Trump crashed into the race during the first round of voting in May, tapping Wright out of a crowded all-party primary and turning the contest into an early test of his post-presidency clout. He held two tele-town halls for her and taped a robocall for her, making the loss more painful.

Trump’s influence will be put to the test again next week in Ohio where a slew of Republicans are vying to fill the Columbus-area seat of former Rep. Steve Stivers, who left Congress to run his state's Chamber of Commerce. Trump is backing Republican Mike Carey in that race, though some of his allies have backed other candidates. Stivers threw his backing behind state Rep. Jeff LaRe.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/2 ... ion-501153

I almost posted this as its my old district.

I think Trump is becoming a liability for most Republicans at this point. The testimony in congress over the Jan 6 shindig isn't helping.

Let's also not forget that Ellzey is a decorated fighter pilot who graduated from the Naval Academy and was backed by Rick Perry amd Dan Crenshaw. Two heavy weights in Texas.

Susan was married to a great man, but other than serving on several Republican committees, she had no political experience. Ellzey was a state senator..

So while I don't think Trump is helping these Republicans because he's so polarizing, there are other factors at play.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 pm

I would guess that some Democrats also voted for Ellzey as the least worst option
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I would guess that some Democrats also voted for Ellzey as the least worst option

Least worse is right, one was marginally less Trumpy and he backed the wrong horse.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:23 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I would guess that some Democrats also voted for Ellzey as the least worst option

Least worse is right, one was marginally less Trumpy and he backed the wrong horse.

There are plenty of Republicans that are not Trumpy at all.

They can't stand him, and never never voted for him.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Yeah I understand that and you're one of them which is making you a quiet majority. The problem is that a third of the country wants to kill another third and the rest just watch, I hope that this is a turnaround but there's still a lot of crazy people out there.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:59 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Yeah I understand that and you're one of them which is making you a quiet majority. The problem is that a third of the country wants to kill another third and the rest just watch, I hope that this is a turnaround but there's still a lot of crazy people out there.

I'm not a Republican.

I'm weirder than that.

My version of the problem is about 80% of the country feels compelled to force shit down each other's throats and can't leave each other alone and mind their own fucking business. Then they support candidates that will fulfill those wishes.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:53 am

Like Maddog Trump is now trying to distance himself from the losing effort of the more so-called libertarian candidate - and claiming the loss is actually a win

https://www.axios.com/trump-team-blames ... 72a09.html
Cactus Jack

Postby drum » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 am

CJ stop being personal with members, you do it all the time. You did it with Mungo too and canny etc. Quit it, it makes you look petty.
drum

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:57 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Like Maddog Trump is now trying to distance himself from the losing effort of the more so-called libertarian candidate - and claiming the loss is actually a win

https://www.axios.com/trump-team-blames ... 72a09.html

There was no Libertarian candidate in the race.

At least not in the runoff. It was two Republicans.

Maddog doesn't do anything like Trump, but Cactus Jack lies like him.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:19 am

drum wrote:CJ stop being personal with members, you do it all the time. You did it with Mungo too and canny etc. Quit it, it makes you look petty.

I've always been very respectful with Canny, and observe the reverse has always been true.

The one place canny and I differ is when the Right Whingers on here start the ad hominems and the moderators let them get away with it with no comments whatsoever - as you did yesterday with the Maddog's many personal attacks on me, I will give it back - and judging by theirs and your reaction I am better at it than they are.

You wouldn't need to defend them if they were good enough to defend themselves - or if you held conservatives to the same standards.
Cactus Jack

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:45 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
drum wrote:CJ stop being personal with members, you do it all the time. You did it with Mungo too and canny etc. Quit it, it makes you look petty.

I've always been very respectful with Canny, and observe the reverse has always been true.

The one place canny and I differ is when the Right Whingers on here start the ad hominems and the moderators let them get away with it with no comments whatsoever - as you did yesterday with the Maddog's many personal attacks on me, I will give it back - and judging by theirs and your reaction I am better at it than they are.

You wouldn't need to defend them if they were good enough to defend themselves - or if you held conservatives to the same standards.

You can't expect the Moderators to apply the same standards to Americans.

All of the USA lags behind Europe in education and Texas is one of the most undereducated states there is and it's getting worse not better so you can't blame Texans for lacking education. You're normally all for positive discrimination, well this is what it looks like in action.

Postby Holly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:25 am

Guest wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

All of the USA lags behind Europe in education and Texas is one of the most undereducated states there is and it's getting worse not better so you can't blame Texans for lacking education. You're normally all for positive discrimination, well this is what it looks like in action.

In the future if you want to insult one of our members or a whole state of the USA, don't do it anonymously, it's not fair, log in so Maddog can have a comeback :roll:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:20 pm

Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

In the future if you want to insult one of our members or a whole state of the USA, don't do it anonymously, it's not fair, log in so Maddog can have a comeback :roll:

I think Guest may have been trying to insult me not Maddog.

Also although ranked 36th in the USA at present Texas is on an upward tread - all those people coming in are raising the average it appears.
Cactus Jack

Postby Holly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:27 pm

@CT
Perhaps I misunderstood the guests comment and they were just being sarcastic, even so, I don't like Guests insulting members, be it you, Maddog or any other member. If they want to do so, they can log in, it's only fair.
Holly
Site Admin

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs