Brexiters need to be held to account

Re: Brexiters need to be held to account

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:45 pm

Folks should start using the phrase "thanks Brexit", to explain every event that happened in the UK, much like we started using the below phrase.

The hashtag #thanksobama was first used in 2009, in response to the proposal of a value-added tax. In the following years, the hashtag was, again, used both sincerely by Obama’s supporters and sarcastically by his detractors.

Also in 2009, a blog titled Authentic Connecticut Republican posted a demotivational poster meme with a photo of a little girl flipping off the viewer and the text “Thanks, Obama. You’ve spent my lunch money, my allowance, my inheritance, 35 years of future paychecks and my retirement. You asshole.”

The perceived overuse of the sarcastic Thanks, Obama by conservatives eventually lead to a new use of the phrase to facetiously blame the President for any kind of negative event. By 2012, the website Quickmeme dedicated a page to the “Everything is Barack Obama’s fault” meme, featuring an image of the President looking downtrodden with captions like “My toast got burnt this morning” or “I got a paper cut” followed by Thanks, Obama.

In November of 2012, a Reddit user uploaded a GIF of a man in an infomercial knocking over a bowl of food with the caption Thanks, Obama under the subject line: “My family’s reaction to the last four years.” Another “infomercial fail” GIF with the same caption was posted in December 2012 with the subject line: “Lately, Republicans blame everything on Obama.” A subreddit, r/thanksobama, had its first post the same day. It also featured a GIF of a struggling person from an infomercial, captioned Thanks, Obama.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/memes/thanks-obama/
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:46 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:
K...

By most people I assume that you mean just you, right?

Even taking that story at face value and not allowing for any lies or exaggerations - do you think spending 2 hours in Portuguese immigration is something to live in fear of?

How has it been determined that the reason for it happening is down to Brexit anyway? The person who tweeted it could simply be another Brexit obsessed twat like yourself who blames all of their misfortunes on Brexit.

Because you didnt' have to wait for those checks before Brexit doofus.

So human smuggling was easier before? :ooer:

Are you asking for yourself or for a friend?
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:
K...

By most people I assume that you mean just you, right?

Even taking that story at face value and not allowing for any lies or exaggerations - do you think spending 2 hours in Portuguese immigration is something to live in fear of?

How has it been determined that the reason for it happening is down to Brexit anyway? The person who tweeted it could simply be another Brexit obsessed twat like yourself who blames all of their misfortunes on Brexit.

Because you didnt' have to wait for those checks before Brexit doofus.

So human smuggling was easier before? :ooer:

Are you asking for yourself or for a friend?

I was worried about your hobby serf. :dafinger:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:01 pm

So yourself - thought so
Cactus Jack

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Because you didnt' have to wait for those checks before Brexit doofus.

So prior to Brexit, no one was ever questioned about anything at all by immigration officers, and everyone just waltzed through?

Do you think it ok that an adult can bring unrelated minors into another country without being asked questions?
Red Okktober

Postby Cobs » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:41 am

Maddog wrote:Folks should start using the phrase "thanks Brexit", to explain every event that happened in the UK, much like we started using the below phrase.

Leave it mate. Nothing will calm the ardour of hardcore UK-EU frottagers at this point.
Cobs

Postby drum » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:23 am

Michael Gove blaming remain voters for empty shelves :pmsl: gaslighting fuckers. :roll:
drum

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:11 am

Red Okktober wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Because you didnt' have to wait for those checks before Brexit doofus.

So prior to Brexit, no one was ever questioned about anything at all by immigration officers, and everyone just waltzed through?

Do you think it ok that an adult can bring unrelated minors into another country without being asked questions?

Travelling between the UK and another EU country that was definitely the case.

I was on a soccer tour with my middle school's team as an assistant coach, I was no relation to any of the kids on the tour and once our papers were checked when we got into the UK that was it. When we went on to Germany, France, Italy and Spain they didn't do the same checks every time.

Y'all had that Single Point of Entry deal going and only needed to be checked coming from a third country.

I think it was probably different if the authorities had specific intelligence about suspects like it is here in States, good luck if you're Matt Gaetz trying to travel across state lines with minor right now, but for most people it was pretty seamless.

Postby Maddog » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:39 pm

Let's not forget that Brexit is the primary reason behind Covid-19, the English Euro Cup loss and Prince Harry moving to the US.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:58 pm

Maddog wrote:Let's not forget that Brexit is the primary reason behind Covid-19, the English Euro Cup loss and Prince Harry moving to the US.

Do you think so?

That seems a bit of a stretch and I can't say I've ever heard anyone else express those opinions but if you explain your reasons you might convince us.
Cactus Jack

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:17 pm

drum wrote:Michael Gove blaming remain voters for empty shelves :pmsl: gaslighting fuckers. :roll:

And there's also Andrew Bridgen...

Absolute wingnuts these people.

Also, us falling out of the Lugano convention has nothing to do with Brexit. Nothing whatsoever. No siree.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:23 pm

drum wrote:Michael Gove blaming remain voters for empty shelves :pmsl: gaslighting fuckers. :roll:

This is how supermarkets should explain the Brexit-created supply shortage to customers

Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:Let's not forget that Brexit is the primary reason behind Covid-19, the English Euro Cup loss and Prince Harry moving to the US.

Do you think so?

That seems a bit of a stretch and I can't say I've ever heard anyone else express those opinions but if you explain your reasons you might convince us.

That's not how this works.

First you find an election result that bothers you.

Then you blame every negative occurrence after the election on that election, while ignoring anything positive that happens after the election, or you attribute it to something besides the election.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:28 pm

Maddog

Postby Maddog » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:31 pm

Maddog

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs