My super fit twin brother died of Covid wishing he had been

Re: My super fit twin brother died of Covid wishing he had been

Postby Maddog » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:43 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Anyhow back to the topic - There are warning out the Delta Variant is in danger of becoming a new strain of MERS that could kill 35% of the people it infects

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-new ... s-12368798

Could be worth it's own thread

Bumping to bring back on topic

The emergence of a new COVID variant with a similar death rate to MERS, which kills one in three infected people, is a "realistic possibility", the government's scientific advisers have warned.

"However the experts also say the virus could result in "much less severe disease" in older people and those who are clinically vulnerable in the long term."

What they are saying, is that it's not going anywhere.

I guess we better learn to live with it like we have MERS.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Anyhow back to the topic - There are warning out the Delta Variant is in danger of becoming a new strain of MERS that could kill 35% of the people it infects

The emergence of a new COVID variant with a similar death rate to MERS, which kills one in three infected people, is a "realistic possibility", the government's scientific advisers have warned.

"However the experts also say the virus could result in "much less severe disease" in older people and those who are clinically vulnerable in the long term."

I'm not against living with anything - it's dying from it I object to and if you read on

Clinical epidemiologist Dr Deepti Gurdasani said the SAGE paper was a "stark warning".

Writing on Twitter, she said: "Given the impact Delta has already had, and in light of recent evidence from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), we cannot afford any more new variants emerging - we need to take preventive action now."

She added that the SAGE paper "makes clear that the virus becoming less virulent is unlikely in the short term".

"So for all those who suggest that we should live with it, and it'll become like seasonal coronaviruses and benign, doesn't look like that's likely to happen anytime soon," Dr Gurdasani wrote..
Last edited by Cactus Jack on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:46 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I'm not against living with anything - it's dying from it I object to.

Well watch out for MERS.

That shit will kill you.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:47 pm

I plan to, but thank you for your concern.
Cactus Jack

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:58 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't know why people say "it's just flu". Flu is horrible and can make you very ill - sometimes more ill than Covid.

It's easily treatable, we've had vaccines for years, and the mortality rate is extremely small with just 1,223 in 2019 as against 153,734 Covid deaths. Massive difference between the two.

I've also seen it referred to as "Chinky flu" by known populist nutjobs and of course Trump regularly used the term "China virus" as a way of expressing his disdain for China and having a poke at them until some brave soul within his camp pointed out the fact US has a lot of Chinese-Americans who would find that offensive. But thats what bullies like to do, offend people.
Grafenwalder

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:12 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I don't know why people say "it's just flu". Flu is horrible and can make you very ill - sometimes more ill than Covid.

It's easily treatable, we've had vaccines for years, and the mortality rate is extremely small with just 1,223 in 2019 as against 153,734 Covid deaths. Massive difference between the two.

I've also seen it referred to as "Chinky flu" by known populist nutjobs and of course Trump regularly used the term "China virus" as a way of expressing his disdain for China and having a poke at them until some brave soul within his camp pointed out the fact US has a lot of Chinese-Americans who would find that offensive. But thats what bullies like to do, offend people.

Almost more terrifying is that for some people, the figure has been put as high as 1 in 3, Covid-19 has no symptoms whatsoever but remains transmissible.

With vaccinated people being less likely to show symptoms that may go higher.

BTW for vaccinated people there is a fourth sign of covid infection - sneezing.

And like the first 3 it can be independent of or alongside any other symptom, not good news for vaccinated hay fever sufferers,
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:22 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:

How many Brits have died from MERS?
Maddog

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:29 pm

Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

None according to this and only five cases treated since 2012 though that's England only.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk ... d-treated/
Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:31 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

None according to this and only five cases treated since 2012 though that's England only.

There you go. :thumbsup:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:44 pm

I'd like to take the time necessary to explain to a Texan how things that haven't happened yet haven't had any effects yet - this would involve expaining the nature of time and entropy.

I'd then like to go on and explain how all of the possible covid variants will happen given the number of cases globally it's just a question of where they happen, how quickly they're identified and how much they spread.

I'd proceed to tell him that higher numbers of exposures will result in higher numbers of cases - that's why the numbers in his state went from dropping for some time to suddenly skyrocketing.

I'd really like to do that, honest.

I'd also like to teach my dog nuclear physics - and I know which one is more likely to be successful.

Not likely, just more likely.

OK Fido let's start with the structure of an atom .....
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:04 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I'd like to take the time necessary to explain to a Texan how things that haven't happened yet haven't had any effects yet - this would involve expaining the nature of time and entropy.

I'd then like to go on and explain how all of the possible covid variants will happen given the number of cases globally it's just a question of where they happen, how quickly they're identified and how much they spread.

I'd proceed to tell him that higher numbers of exposures will result in higher numbers of cases - that's why the numbers in his state went from dropping for some time to suddenly skyrocketing.

I'd also like to teach my dog nuclear physics - and I know which one is more likely to be successful.

Is this where I'm supposed to report you for a personal attack and then whine when the mods do nothing?

Oh wait, I forgot. I don't do that because I'm not a gigantic vagina.

Have a nice evening hiding at home CJ. :gigglesnshit:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:08 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I'd like to take the time necessary to explain to a Texan how things that haven't happened yet haven't had any effects yet - this would involve expaining the nature of time and entropy.

Is this where I'm supposed to report you for a personal attack and then whine when the mods do nothing?

Oh wait, I forgot. I don't do that because I'm a gigantic vagina.

Have a nice evening hiding at home CJ. :gigglesnshit:

Fixed that for you.

:thumbsup:
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:10 pm

And back to the topic -

To summarise nobody has died from a variant that hasn't emerged yet because it hasn't emerged yet.

The scientists say it will and it could be catastrophic which is why we should be preventing it now.

Obviously you will all understand that you can't prevent something that has already happened too.

Well those of you not from Texas will have
Cactus Jack

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:21 pm

Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

Surely you aren't trying to conflate the two? :shake head:
Grafenwalder

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:It's easily treatable, we've had vaccines for years, and the mortality rate is extremely small with just 1,223 in 2019 as against 153,734 Covid deaths. Massive difference between the two.

Surely you aren't trying to conflate the two? :shake head:

He is.
Cactus Jack

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs