October or November 2024

October or November 2024

Postby Cannydc » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:13 pm

Seems that Tory HQ have pencilled in that time for the election, hoping for an economic and political miracle in the meantime.

I don't think a week has gone by without some disaster befalling them, another 75 weeks seems like a lifetime.

Even the downfall of Sturgeon and a slump in SNP popularity is against them as it will be Labour picking up seats.

Well, that's me for now. Back into hibernation until next Autumn.

Peace, Love and a Labour Government!
Cannydc

Re: October or November 2024

Postby Stooo » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:26 pm

October unless things get even worse and they need to bail out before those dates. The good thing about Spring elections is that you can get local teams of canvassers motivated to knock on doors and post leaflets, not so much in the colder weather as most active members of political parties tend to be a bit older. The tories will campaign in the nursing homes and other warm spaces where they are guaranteed the vote, as it ever was.

Meanwhile, project fact strides ahead:

UK to be one of worst performing economies this year, predicts IMF

It feels bitter in my mouth but we told you so.
Stooo
Site Admin

he voters will see through flimy Stramer.

Postby common sense » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:40 pm

I see nothing but a small Tory victory.
common sense

Re: he voters will see through flimy Stramer.

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:16 pm

common sense wrote:I see nothing but a small Tory victory.

How?
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: he voters will see through flimy Stramer.

Postby Text » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:29 pm

common sense wrote:I see nothing but a small Tory victory.

Well you might be right, CS, I don't know.
But you were deffo wrong the last time you made a prediction as the resident posterboy for Trump on here .... you predicted that he'd win re-election for a 2nd term, in fact your fave slogan was "Four More Years." :ooer:
Text

Postby Text » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:47 pm

Cannydc wrote:Seems that Tory HQ have pencilled in that time for the election, hoping for an economic and political miracle in the meantime.

I don't think a week has gone by without some disaster befalling them, another 75 weeks seems like a lifetime.

Even the downfall of Sturgeon and a slump in SNP popularity is against them as it will be Labour picking up seats.

Well, that's me for now. Back into hibernation until next Autumn.

Peace, Love and a Labour Government!

Delighted to see you Mr DC, wish you'd drop by more often. :razz:

Sunak will use culture wars as the main basis for the 2024 GE campaign. He has no other weapon but don't under-estimate the tory war machine.
They have BIG money behind them, & the solid backing of billionaire offshore investors & media barons.
The whole point of a tory govt's existence is to funnel public money into private hands. Then they balance their books by cutting all public services to the bone. Sorted.
Text

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:22 pm

First I echo those who welcome Canny's return.

Second let's be fair to Common Sense. The reason the Tories are waiting is so that things have time to get better, unforunately the Tories seem incapable of getting out of their own way for any more than two weeks at a time. They will run on their culture wars because it's all they have but do you really care if there are two copies of James and the Giant Peach on the book shops instead of one? Which will affect your day to day life more, the next James Bond onbeing a one legged Black lesbian or being unable to afford your mortgage payments?

People will see through the culture wars unless a lot of things start going a lot better and having a billionaire backed vanity channel to amplify the nonsense won't help
Cactus Jack

Postby Cannydc » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:49 am

Cactus Jack wrote:First I echo those who welcome Canny's return.

Second let's be fair to Common Sense. The reason the Tories are waiting is so that things have time to get better, unforunately the Tories seem incapable of getting out of their own way for any more than two weeks at a time. They will run on their culture wars because it's all they have but do you really care if there are two copies of James and the Giant Peach on the book shops instead of one? Which will affect your day to day life more, the next James Bond onbeing a one legged Black lesbian or being unable to afford your mortgage payments?

People will see through the culture wars unless a lot of things start going a lot better and having a billionaire backed vanity channel to amplify the nonsense won't help

Hi CJ (and Text, of course).

I pop in from time to time but rarely post. The thing about Tory election hopes is, as you say, the blind optimism that things will improve.

Inflation will drop, but prices won't - that 40%+ on food prices is here to stay.

They will never 'stop the boats' - the trafficker's business model won't change no matter how many asylum seekers are sent to Rwanda (current count - ZERO).

Our economy is forecast to flatline.

Meanwhile, good luck to all anti-Tories in the local elections. As usual the Tories are managing expectations (might lose 1,000 seats) - I hope for more lol, but a fair result will cost them 5-600.

Love and peace

Canny.
Cannydc

Postby common sense » Sat May 13, 2023 5:09 pm

I was joking btw. I can't see them winning in a million years. The only thing in question is the size of Labour's majority.

Sleepy Joe will get back in the US. Trump will be the nominee for the Repuns but won't win.
common sense

Postby Stooo » Sat May 13, 2023 5:37 pm

common sense wrote:

I was joking btw. I can't see them winning in a million years. The only thing in question is the size of Labour's majority.

Sleepy Joe will get back in the US. Trump will be the nominee for the Repuns but won't win.

It's factored in, Labour members want PR but declaring it in a manifesto would be problematic because of the shit press. LD's are predicted to take enough blue votes to forge a coalition and it's the No.1 demand with no stupid ref that was the training ground for brexit this time.

We need representative votes in all of our elections.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby common sense » Sun May 14, 2023 8:59 am

SIGHS. Talk about dumping Sunak now and getting Gove in or even Boris. Not again FFS! Will do no good. Let Rishi do his best now.
common sense

Postby Stooo » Sun May 14, 2023 1:39 pm

common sense wrote:SIGHS. Talk about dumping Sunak now and getting Gove in or even Boris. Not again FFS! Will do no good. Let Rishi do his best now.

It's time to just get rid of them at a GE. Johnson is moving to Henley because S.Ruislip and Uxbridge don't want him and the party is totally split between kippers and trad tories, the best thing that both factions can do is to support PR because it's the only way that they will have a voice in Parliament in the future.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:46 am

5 months on, here I am again.

Inflation dropped a bit but nothing dropping in price, nor will it.

Doctors still striking, as are rail workers.

NHS crisis grows.

The boats haven't been stopped, no-one has been deported to Rwanda though a few have been dumped on a barge to catch Legionella.

Oh, and a multitude of right wing grifters were triggered by the sight of a sea of EU flags at the last night of the proms.

Finally, no election on the horizon. Oct/Nov next year still likely for me.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:53 pm

Cannydc wrote:5 months on, here I am again.

Inflation dropped a bit but nothing dropping in price, nor will it.

Doctors still striking, as are rail workers.

NHS crisis grows.

The boats haven't been stopped, no-one has been deported to Rwanda though a few have been dumped on a barge to catch Legionella.

Oh, and a multitude of right wing grifters were triggered by the sight of a sea of EU flags at the last night of the proms.

Finally, no election on the horizon. Oct/Nov next year still likely for me.

Dangerous dogs and sponging invalids as well as the JSA scroungers, let alone vapes.

Meanwhile the state pension will be devalued and continue to be the poorest in the first world.

Election, do you think it will take that long? I would go for Spring.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:34 pm

I don't think the state pension will go as badly for the Tories as not undoing the triple lock will go

The Triple Lock can be said to have 'done it's job' - with a prolonged period of inflation at or below 2% and pensions rising by at least 2.5% the Tories have got a window in which to ditch the guarantee. They can say it's short term, war in Ukraine, Dunkirk spirit and all that, but essentially the older Tory voters don't need it so much with interest rates up so high, private pension pots are growing very nicely thank you and more egalitarian older people know the money is better spent on better public services for them - they won't get better public services from the Tories but it's a line to take.

That's one of the reasons why I see May next year as the most likely time for an election. Spending plans will all be fixed and department budgets set, probably with a few pre-election bribes that will be fresh in the voters minds and a few sneaky land mines that won't go off until a few months later that will mean those bribes have to be clawed back or cancelled giving the press a reason to attack the new Labour administration
Cactus Jack

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs