Guest Posting

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Guest Posting

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Major wrote:IMHO Guests do have usual names we would recognise but as cowards they dare not use them as usage would show their forum history.

You're just a whiney old bigoted prick that doesn't like being pulled up over what you are. :hand:

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Guest wrote:
Major wrote:IMHO Guests do have usual names we would recognise but as cowards they dare not use them as usage would show their forum history.

You're just a whiney old bigoted prick that doesn't like being pulled up over what you are. :hand:

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Maddog wrote:I post on a forum that has a few members from here. There's no guest posting and it's as lively as this forum.

I think when you tell people that you either log in or you can't post, most will log in. The reason they don't here is because they don't have to.

There might be one less member soon. I simply can't stand the awful Didge any longer .
Raggamuffin

Postby Major » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

i know exactly that which I am and PROUD of it, not a yellow cowardly white feather spalpine who hides.
Major
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Major wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

i know exactly that which I am and PROUD of it, not a yellow cowardly white feather spalpine who hides.

No such thing as a spalpine.
English really isn't your first language.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby measurer » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Is Major your real name? No, and Measurer isn't mine either. Guests tend to be just that - Guests. An old member could change name and come on to troll you, won't make you any wiser to who it is though. :dunno:
measurer

Postby Maddog » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:44 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Maddog wrote:I post on a forum that has a few members from here. There's no guest posting and it's as lively as this forum.

I think when you tell people that you either log in or you can't post, most will log in. The reason they don't here is because they don't have to.

There might be one less member soon. I simply can't stand the awful Didge any longer .

I think he's autistic or has aspergars or something.
Maddog

Postby UnBan DinkyDoobie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:22 am

The problem (if you want to call it that) with guest posting, and to a slightly lesser extent using avatars is deindividuation. Posting on the internet using an avatar still lets you build up a personality, it becomes familiar, a persona, you're accountable for what you say. A 'guest' post removes that. People are already removed from real life social responsibility for what they say by using avatars but guest posting removes another layer of responsibility or accountability. Being anonymous but using an avatar lets you build up a personality, it could be your genuine self, your best self,or your worst self, but an anonymous account (guest) only really benefits you if you want to say something that's illegal or would have negative effects on your social capital because even in an anonymous world you still have social capital with an avatar.

If someone provides some insightful critique then being anonymous means they've given up positive social capital but if someone is being venomous then being anonymous means they aren't held accountable for what they've said - deindividuation allows people to say things they otherwise wouldn't. In some cases this is benificial i.e. wikileaks but on a regular forum, especially one such as this with practically no rules, it basically allows someone to verbally abuse others without consequences. You might say this means people are free to speak their mind but when you're in a world where people are already free to create an anonymous persona then why would an extra layer of anonymity be necessary?

Also, unban plox. :awesome:
UnBan DinkyDoobie

Postby dg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 am

^^^^^^^ Yes good idea, why don't you unban Dinkeydoobie you've unbanned a lot worse than him
dg

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:42 pm

dg wrote:^^^^^^^ Yes good idea, why don't you unban Dinkeydoobie you've unbanned a lot worse than him

Dinky could be alright. Did he get banned for posting links to Brietbart (sp?) or something?
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:46 pm

UnBan DinkyDoobie wrote:The problem (if you want to call it that) with guest posting, and to a slightly lesser extent using avatars is deindividuation. Posting on the internet using an avatar still lets you build up a personality, it becomes familiar, a persona, you're accountable for what you say. A 'guest' post removes that. People are already removed from real life social responsibility for what they say by using avatars but guest posting removes another layer of responsibility or accountability. Being anonymous but using an avatar lets you build up a personality, it could be your genuine self, your best self,or your worst self, but an anonymous account (guest) only really benefits you if you want to say something that's illegal or would have negative effects on your social capital because even in an anonymous world you still have social capital with an avatar.

If someone provides some insightful critique then being anonymous means they've given up positive social capital but if someone is being venomous then being anonymous means they aren't held accountable for what they've said - deindividuation allows people to say things they otherwise wouldn't. In some cases this is benificial i.e. wikileaks but on a regular forum, especially one such as this with practically no rules, it basically allows someone to verbally abuse others without consequences. You might say this means people are free to speak their mind but when you're in a world where people are already free to create an anonymous persona then why would an extra layer of anonymity be necessary?

The verbal abuse issue... that’s why I think I wouldn’t be a good mod as I would be tempted to bin them. Hats off to our mods here for having a high tolerance for rubbish.
Nucks

Postby Stooo » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:49 pm

Nucks wrote:
dg wrote:^^^^^^^ Yes good idea, why don't you unban Dinkeydoobie you've unbanned a lot worse than him

Dinky could be alright. Did he get banned for posting links to Brietbart (sp?) or something?

Yes after the site url was censored.

Death by mod. I've let him back now but really, don't piss off the admin.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Stooo wrote:
Nucks wrote:

Yes after the site url was censored.

Death by mod. I've let him back now but really, don't piss off the admin.

Do you send an email to someone if they become unbanned?
Nucks

Postby Major » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Thank you White Feather, you do make me laff.
Major
Twat.

Postby jra » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 am

UnBan DinkyDoobie wrote:The problem (if you want to call it that) with guest posting, and to a slightly lesser extent using avatars is deindividuation. Posting on the internet using an avatar still lets you build up a personality, it becomes familiar, a persona, you're accountable for what you say. A 'guest' post removes that. People are already removed from real life social responsibility for what they say by using avatars but guest posting removes another layer of responsibility or accountability. Being anonymous but using an avatar lets you build up a personality, it could be your genuine self, your best self,or your worst self, but an anonymous account (guest) only really benefits you if you want to say something that's illegal or would have negative effects on your social capital because even in an anonymous world you still have social capital with an avatar.

Individuality + anonymity = registered user. :thumbsup:

Non-individuality + anonymity = guest. Thumbs down.

I really don't see the problem with signing up as an anonymous member. It makes life simpler for posting anyway, i.e. no waiting for posts to be approved, no CAPTCHAS and in my case nobody else can register my DS name and impersonate me or worse.
jra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms