Stockpiling Again

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Stockpiling Again

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Guest wrote:Anyway, back on topic. The shortage that's frustrating me the most just now is the laptop shortage. It's been going on since lockdown started since March but surprisingly not been talked about much. I need a new laptop as a backup machine and am basically screwed at the moment as there is only rubbish still on sale. Even if you want something more high end like iMac there is about a month waiting between order and delivery on Apple UK's website. Crazy!

Something like this feels like it should be bigger news, with more done to make things better. It's hit the US now so maybe it will.

PC World has plenty.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Cleopatra wrote:If there is no deal, we will be out by the end of December with 2-day long queues at Dover, food shortages and massive price rises. My Brexit cupboard has been depleted over lock down, but is now being slowly restocked. I do not trust this incompetent Government to handle the trade talks. I actually believe they would prefer no deal and it won't be the well-off that suffer the consequences of that. I fear for those who have lost jobs; for many it will be a food-bank Xmas. Use of food banks has risen considerably and will continue to do so.

Re-stocking here as well. Who are you meant to trust?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cleopatra » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:32 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:If there is no deal, we will be out by the end of December with 2-day long queues at Dover, food shortages and massive price rises. My Brexit cupboard has been depleted over lock down, but is now being slowly restocked. I do not trust this incompetent Government to handle the trade talks. I actually believe they would prefer no deal and it won't be the well-off that suffer the consequences of that. I fear for those who have lost jobs; for many it will be a food-bank Xmas. Use of food banks has risen considerably and will continue to do so.

I agreed with every word Blair and Major said re the Brexit talks. Who are the big thinkers in this government? The brains? Boris's brains are in his trousers and the rest of his cabinet are dismal...Raab, Patel, Gove, Hancock, Williamson. Seriously, it's bloody terrifying that this shower have our future in their hands.

But never mind, at least hunting with dogs is exempt from the rule of six. :shake head:
Cleopatra

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:22 am

Not ashamed to admit I am fucking terrified of Brexit whatever happens and can only wish I was more prepared with at least some sort of stockpile, but my living arrangements made it impossible to have one.

I just can't believe it's even happening, still.

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I agreed with every word Blair and Major said re the Brexit talks. Who are the big thinkers in this government? The brains? Boris's brains are in his trousers and the rest of his cabinet are dismal...Raab, Patel, Gove, Hancock, Williamson. Seriously, it's bloody terrifying that this shower have our future in their hands.

But never mind, at least hunting with dogs is exempt from the rule of six. :shake head:

And shooting birds. At least they're getting brexit done, oh wait...

...priories.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 pm

Cleopatra wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Hunting with dogs is illegal, so it's not an issue re the rule of six.
Raggamuffin

Postby .SF. » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Fox hunting, yes. Grouse shooting using dogs - legal, although you probably know that.
.SF.

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 am

.SF. wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Fox hunting, yes. Grouse shooting using dogs - legal, although you probably know that.

Not just fox hunting, but you probably didn't know that.
Raggamuffin

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:03 am

fox hunting is the only one that has a total exclusion (and even that isn't total you won't usually be fined if you hunt a fox threatening your livestock and use only one dog)

you can't use more than 2 dogs for the hunting of deer etc

so hunting with dogs isn't illegal, just some variants of it are
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 am

Hare coursing is illegal.
Raggamuffin

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 am

the hunting act actually differentiates between competition and recreational, on your own land, or as a trespasser

however I would never say that hare coursing in any form should be legal, but sadly there are loopholes and circumstances that make it very difficult to prosecute under the hunting act, I think they sometimes use the game act or the night poaching act though

I'm not that well versed in it, and sadly my uncle who was the gamekeeper is increasingly marble free
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby dog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 am

Doesn't stockpiling make the problem worse, leaving more of a shortage?
Especially for those that can't afford to stockpile and live hand to mouth.
dog

Postby drum » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 am

dog wrote:Doesn't stockpiling make the problem worse, leaving more of a shortage?

People aren't caring about others less fortunate than themselves. This time though, the stockpiling ... We haven't got incoming supply sorted yet (brexit deals) so it wont be like the beginning of the year. Once it's gone, it's gone.
drum

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 am

who haven't got incoming supply sorted?

most consumer goods are procured via businesses, the tariff agreements can/will be applied retrospectively, prices may increase but it shouldn't have any immediate impact on supply

that said, we could always try to buy more domestic goods
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby dog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am

drum wrote:
dog wrote:Doesn't stockpiling make the problem worse, leaving more of a shortage?

People aren't caring about others less fortunate than themselves. This time though, the stockpiling ... We haven't got incoming supply sorted yet (brexit deals) so it wont be like the beginning of the year. Once it's gone, it's gone.

That's quite sad and scary.
dog

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms