I have had a nervous breakdown

A right load of bollocks...

Re: I have had a nervous breakdown

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:11 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Empathise with them all you like, just don't try to diagnose them.

You aren't a doctor.

I agree. The best thing someone with such experience can do is perhaps recognise the warning signs and advise getting medical treatment.

But surely people who are having a breakdown don't usually realise it? How can they look at someone else and think "oh yes, that happened to me", when they didn't even know themself they were experiencing the start of a breakdown?

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:13 am

Guest wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Guest wrote:
Empathise with them all you like, just don't try to diagnose them.

You aren't a doctor.

I agree. The best thing someone with such experience can do is perhaps recognise the warning signs and advise getting medical treatment.

But surely people who are having a breakdown don't usually realise it? How can they look at someone else and think "oh yes, that happened to me", when they didn't even know themself they were experiencing the start of a breakdown?

I mean later on when they did realise what had happened. They might be able to recognise the signs in someone else. It depends on how the breakdown manifested itself of course, and Lexi's description doesn't fit all obviously.

I think a lot of people who have them do realise at the time, they just don't know what to do about it. I don't think they're all out of touch with reality.
Raggamuffin

Postby Vicky » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:22 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Guest wrote:
Victoria wrote:I agree with Lexi here, many people find that talking to someone who has had the same illness/condition as themselves, better than speaking to a doctor. They tend to give better advice on what your're going to go through.

I don't disagree with that in principal but signs and symptoms of mental illenesses will tend to differ from person to person.

Talking to someone about their feelings, coping mechanisms etc is one thing but telling them it can't be a breakdown because they have different symptoms is just plain stupid.

I was talking about other things as well as though. Someone who has actually gone through a medical condition will be better to advise then a doctor who has not experienced it.

That would depend on whether their breakdown was similar or not. Anyway, people always think their situation is unique, so I'm not sure that they would take the advice, or be a position to listen to advice anyway.

True Rags, quite often people think their own situation is worse than everyone else's. I just remember last year i had to go into hospital, and my brother gave me good advice on what to expect and how i would feel afterwards, because he had had the same thing.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Victoria wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Guest wrote:
Victoria wrote:I agree with Lexi here, many people find that talking to someone who has had the same illness/condition as themselves, better than speaking to a doctor. They tend to give better advice on what your're going to go through.

I don't disagree with that in principal but signs and symptoms of mental illenesses will tend to differ from person to person.

Talking to someone about their feelings, coping mechanisms etc is one thing but telling them it can't be a breakdown because they have different symptoms is just plain stupid.

I was talking about other things as well as though. Someone who has actually gone through a medical condition will be better to advise then a doctor who has not experienced it.

That would depend on whether their breakdown was similar or not. Anyway, people always think their situation is unique, so I'm not sure that they would take the advice, or be a position to listen to advice anyway.

True Rags, quite often people think their own situation is worse than everyone else's. I just remember last year i had to go into hospital, and my brother gave me good advice on what to expect and how i would feel afterwards, because he had had the same thing.

Lunacy run in the family then Vicks?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Victoria wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Guest wrote:

Lunacy run in the family then Vicks?

Oi! I didn't mean we both had nervous breakdowns, i meant we both had to have the same operation. :laughing:
Vicky

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Some posts have been split to form a new thread in the Snug.
Raggamuffin

Postby Gigolo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Your doctor is probably the most deranged person you know.

de·range (d-rnj)
tr.v. de·ranged, de·rang·ing, de·rang·es
1. To disturb the order or arrangement of.
2. To upset the normal condition or functioning of.
3. To disturb mentally; make insane.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deranged
Gigolo

Postby Gigolo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 pm

They are pretty much rendered insane at university.
Gigolo

Postby Lexi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:30 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lexi wrote:
No, but it does make you recognise what 'is' and what 'isn't' and it also helps you to distinguish between the differences! How the fuck do you think people become doctors? Good doctors are fully educated through text book but learn more from the patients themselves than they ever learned through a book! and they have also learned from their own experiences! Shit doctors are those who, like you, have no actual idea of what they are talking about! :shake head:

Would you rather see a doctor who has read some stuff about your condition? or would you rather speak to a fellow patient, who probably knows exactly what you're going through and what you can expect? You choose? :roll:

Your description of a breakdown was very specific though, and wasn't necessarily an accurate description of every breakdown.

No of course not. But a 'true' breakdown is often reconized by some of it's specific symptoms. Having suffered several 'true' breakdowns and also suffering from Anxiety and panic disorder, plus bipolar, I can reconize some differences between them. Di's description of how she's been feeling hints a lot more towards Anxiety disorder than it does towards an actual nervous breakdown? neither is worse or better than the other and I'm not trying to say 'it's not that bad' because it is! It's absolutely terrible to suffer either!

Nor am I trying to 'diagnose', I'm just stating that from my own experiences I think she maybe more likely to be suffering from anxiety? I would only recommend seeing a doctor if you are willing to take industrial medication, which may make things worse? as it takes a while to find a med that actually suits you as an individual. Not everyone wants to take pills so would rather talk about it to others who may have suffered similar...that's all. I was just trying to help.

Sorry to quote you alone there Rags, I was aiming my posts at Di and the ones who are criticizing me..again!
Lexi

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:30 am

Lexi wrote: the ones who are criticizing me..again!

No wonder people walk away from you...you are the most hypercritical person I've had the misfortune to read on forums. If only you could really see your true nature...

Postby Lexi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 am

Guest wrote:

No wonder people walk away from you...you are the most hypercritical person I've had the misfortune to read on forums. If only you could really see your true nature...

OMG!! Why do you follow me everywhere? I'm not interested in YOU or your BS!! You know I'm not interested so FUCK OFF OK?!! :pukeup:
Lexi

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:17 am

Lexi wrote:
Guest wrote:

OMG!! Why do you follow me everywhere? I'm not interested in YOU or your BS!! You know I'm not interested so FUCK OFF OK?!! :pukeup:

LOOOOOOL

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 am

Lexi wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Lexi wrote:
No, but it does make you recognise what 'is' and what 'isn't' and it also helps you to distinguish between the differences! How the fuck do you think people become doctors? Good doctors are fully educated through text book but learn more from the patients themselves than they ever learned through a book! and they have also learned from their own experiences! Shit doctors are those who, like you, have no actual idea of what they are talking about! :shake head:

Would you rather see a doctor who has read some stuff about your condition? or would you rather speak to a fellow patient, who probably knows exactly what you're going through and what you can expect? You choose? :roll:

Your description of a breakdown was very specific though, and wasn't necessarily an accurate description of every breakdown.

No of course not. But a 'true' breakdown is often reconized by some of it's specific symptoms. Having suffered several 'true' breakdowns and also suffering from Anxiety and panic disorder, plus bipolar, I can reconize some differences between them. Di's description of how she's been feeling hints a lot more towards Anxiety disorder than it does towards an actual nervous breakdown? neither is worse or better than the other and I'm not trying to say 'it's not that bad' because it is! It's absolutely terrible to suffer either!

Nor am I trying to 'diagnose', I'm just stating that from my own experiences I think she maybe more likely to be suffering from anxiety? I would only recommend seeing a doctor if you are willing to take industrial medication, which may make things worse? as it takes a while to find a med that actually suits you as an individual. Not everyone wants to take pills so would rather talk about it to others who may have suffered similar...that's all. I was just trying to help.

Sorry to quote you alone there Rags, I was aiming my posts at Di and the ones who are criticizing me..again!

A nervous breakdown refers to a mainstream and often-used term to generically describe someone who experiences a bout of mental illness that is so severe, it directly impacts their ability to function in everyday life. The specific mental illness can be anything — depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or something else.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2 ... breakdown/

A "Nervous Breakdown" is a popular term - it is not a clinical term - that is often used to describe a mental disorder that a person experiences. It is used for a number of reasons, including: to hide a diagnosis; to avoid the stigma of a diagnosis; not understanding the reasons for certain loss of function (such as not seeing a doctor, but having symptoms); and not accepting a diagnosis among others.

There are many disorders that can fit within the criteria of "Nervous Breakdown", but those that most commonly occur are those related to:

•Anxiety Disorders

◦Generalized Anxiety Disorder
◦Panic Disorder
•Panic Attacks
•Trauma Disorders
◦Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
◦Acute Stress Disorder
•Psychotic Disorders
◦Schizophrenia
•Mood (Affective) Disorders
◦Depression
◦Bipolar Disorder
The Disorder that is mimics the most directly however is Major Depressive Disorder (Depression).

On the historical note, the reason the term "Nervous Breakdown" came into being was that people preferred to have a physical (Nerves) illness as opposed to a psychological or psychiatric illness.

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/in ... cle&id=102

No such thing as a 'true nervous breakdown'

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 am

Guest wrote:
Lexi wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Lexi wrote:

A nervous breakdown refers to a mainstream and often-used term to generically describe someone who experiences a bout of mental illness that is so severe, it directly impacts their ability to function in everyday life. The specific mental illness can be anything — depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or something else.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2 ... breakdown/

A "Nervous Breakdown" is a popular term - it is not a clinical term - that is often used to describe a mental disorder that a person experiences. It is used for a number of reasons, including: to hide a diagnosis; to avoid the stigma of a diagnosis; not understanding the reasons for certain loss of function (such as not seeing a doctor, but having symptoms); and not accepting a diagnosis among others.

There are many disorders that can fit within the criteria of "Nervous Breakdown", but those that most commonly occur are those related to:

•Anxiety Disorders

◦Generalized Anxiety Disorder
◦Panic Disorder
•Panic Attacks
•Trauma Disorders
◦Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
◦Acute Stress Disorder
•Psychotic Disorders
◦Schizophrenia
•Mood (Affective) Disorders
◦Depression
◦Bipolar Disorder
The Disorder that is mimics the most directly however is Major Depressive Disorder (Depression).

On the historical note, the reason the term "Nervous Breakdown" came into being was that people preferred to have a physical (Nerves) illness as opposed to a psychological or psychiatric illness.

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/in ... cle&id=102

No such thing as a 'true nervous breakdown'

Yes, I agree with you. There is no real definition, and it's not really a medical term. I would say that the point at which a mental illness becomes a "breakdown" is when a person can no longer function or cope with anything. That point might differ from person to person, and the symptoms might be completely different. One doesn't have to be rushed to hospital in a hysterical state to be "diagnosed" as having a breakdown.
Raggamuffin

Postby The Graduate. » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Lexi wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Lexi wrote:

I think once you get into the frame of mind where a pill is going to cure everything, you're on dangerous ground. It takes the responsibility away from yourself to sort yourself out, it might increase the serotonin levels and make you feel a bit better, but the underlying problems that first brought it on never get dealt with. And actually makes you more vulnerable when you have the next bout.
The Graduate.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms