Smart phone use whilst driving - as bad as Drink Driving?

A right load of bollocks...

Smart phone use whilst driving - as bad as Drink Driving?

Postby Trapper John » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Specifically, texting and smart phone messaging.

Whilst you do still see it, talking on the mobile whilst driving is nowhere near as prevalent as it was, and though dangerous, at least most drivers kept their eyes on the road.

Texting and messaging whilst driving is a whole different ball game and personally I think it is a dangerous as drink/drug driving because those who do it, are totally unaware of what is going on in front or around them.

This is just one recent case and there have been others and I believe it will soon become one of the major cause of motor accidents and deaths, in the very near future. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-23876320#

Driving a truck gives me a vantage point that others don't always have and I can honestly tell you, I can see as many as 20 or more instances, every night, from those doing it whilst waiting at traffic lights or roundabouts to those doing it whilst driving at speed on motorways, it is becoming an epidemic.

Normally, I don't even have to see them doing it, I can tell by the way a vehicle is behaving in front of me to know what they doing. A few weeks ago I was even stuck behind an erratically driven motor scooter, swerving, speeding up and slowing down only to see him messaging on his phone, he was totally unaware that I even existed until he got the shock of his life when I eventually was able to pass him.

I think that until the punishments currently used for Drink/Drugs driving are used on texting and messaging, users will increase and so will the accidents and deaths on our roads.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Smart phone use whilst driving - as bad as Drink Driving?

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm

agree mate

i nearly got a stasi lycra clad 2 wheeled wanker on monday

as he swerved in and out of traffic down plumstead high sts
soppy bastard was texting as he went :yikes:

i see other drivers texting etc all the time
and it aint only women nowadays (sorry girls, but it was a few year ago)
as you say
you can tell by how the car is moving
Mark

Postby Trapper John » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Mark wrote:agree mate

i nearly got a stasi lycra clad 2 wheeled wanker on monday

as he swerved in and out of traffic down plumstead high sts
soppy bastard was texting as he went :yikes:

i see other drivers texting etc all the time
and it aint only women nowadays (sorry girls, but it was a few year ago)
as you say
you can tell by how the car is moving

If you've ever noticed, even when people are just sitting down messaging at home or in a pub/public place or something, they are totally oblivious to what's going on around them.....imagine that in a car!

Like I said, at least when they were talking on a phone they had their eyes open, even if it was only to keep an eye out for the old bill.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby VILS » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Looking down into peoples' cars do you ever see any inappropriate sexual behaviour John?
VILS

Postby Trapper John » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:47 pm

A few well publicised 12 month bans would make a big impact.......it has to be said, it is normally younger drivers.....and most are lost without their 'wheels'.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:49 pm

VILS wrote:Looking down into peoples' cars do you ever see any inappropriate sexual behaviour John?

Seriously, I have done VILS......and it is not uncommon either.....you dirty old bugger :wink:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby VILS » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Trapezerjohn wrote:
VILS wrote:Looking down into peoples' cars do you ever see any inappropriate sexual behaviour John?

Seriously, I have done VILS......and it is not uncommon either.....you dirty old bugger :wink:

:smilin:
Maybe for example you've seen some fellow being given head by a lovely lass while driving? :smilin:
VILS

Postby Vicky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm

VILS wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:

Maybe for example you've seen some fellow being given head by a lovely lass while driving? :smilin:

Don't worry VILS i don't think he'd recognise you, but stop it before you cause a crash.
Vicky

Postby Text » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 pm

The title could be interpreted as : "A smart way of using the phone whilst driving" :gigglesnshit:
Text

Postby Text » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:28 pm

You mean sexual behaviour is sometimes 'appropriate'? Whilst driving? :yikes:
Text

Postby Fletch » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Trapezerjohn wrote:Specifically, texting and smart phone messaging.

Whilst you do still see it, talking on the mobile whilst driving is nowhere near as prevalent as it was, and though dangerous, at least most drivers kept their eyes on the road.

Texting and messaging whilst driving is a whole different ball game and personally I think it is a dangerous as drink/drug driving because those who do it, are totally unaware of what is going on in front or around them.

This is just one recent case and there have been others and I believe it will soon become one of the major cause of motor accidents and deaths, in the very near future. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-23876320#

Driving a truck gives me a vantage point that others don't always have and I can honestly tell you, I can see as many as 20 or more instances, every night, from those doing it whilst waiting at traffic lights or roundabouts to those doing it whilst driving at speed on motorways, it is becoming an epidemic.

Normally, I don't even have to see them doing it, I can tell by the way a vehicle is behaving in front of me to know what they doing. A few weeks ago I was even stuck behind an erratically driven motor scooter, swerving, speeding up and slowing down only to see him messaging on his phone, he was totally unaware that I even existed until he got the shock of his life when I eventually was able to pass him.

I think that until the punishments currently used for Drink/Drugs driving are used on texting and messaging, users will increase and so will the accidents and deaths on our roads.

Is the ban on phone use driving the increase in text use?

Using a phone whilst driving is obvious to any plod, they only have to see the phone to the head and it's fine time. Holding a phone below eye level and texting...not so easy to spot.
Fletch

Postby Trapper John » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:43 am

Fletch wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:Specifically, texting and smart phone messaging.

Is the ban on phone use driving the increase in text use?

Using a phone whilst driving is obvious to any plod, they only have to see the phone to the head and it's fine time. Holding a phone below eye level and texting...not so easy to spot.

I am sure it is.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Text » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:01 pm

VILS wrote:
Trapezerjohn wrote:

It happened for real to Gillian Taylforth. (aka kat from East Enders) Tho her OH at least had the decency to pull over to the hard shoulder & stop the car. The police caught them red handed. :oops: :oops: They sued & lost the case. Many years ago now ...
Text

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms