The Science And Nature Thread - All Welcome

Big Threads

Re: Keyser's science and nature thread.

Postby Keyser » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:43 am

Molecular palaeontology and the haunting recreated calls of Parasaurolophus.

https://www.earthmagazine.org/article/c ... -dinosaurs

Keyser

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:37 am

Hiya keyser, have you ever heard of the Naracoorte caves? its in South Australia, I lived in Naracoorte for a couple of yrs....well I remember going on a school trip to the Naracoorte caves, it was amazing and never forgot this place, so thought I would share these caves on here with you....

Marsupial lion skeleton in Naracoorte Caves.

The fossils have earned Naracoorte Caves National Park a spot on the World Heritage List – South Australia’s only listed attraction. For more than 500,000 years giant animals roamed the Naracoorte area. Falling into well hidden pitfall caves, their fossilised skeletons were left behind, giving scientists a rare glimpse of long extinct animal life. These animals, along with others, have been recreated into life-sized models at the renowned Wonambi Fossil Centre. The park’s tourist caves also boast a glorious display of stalagmites and stalactites.
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Keyser » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:17 am

Sunny wrote:Hiya keyser, have you ever heard of the Naracoorte caves? its in South Australia, I lived in Naracoorte for a couple of yrs....well I remember going on a school trip to the Naracoorte caves, it was amazing and never forgot this place, so thought I would share these caves on here with you....

Marsupial lion skeleton in Naracoorte Caves.

The fossils have earned Naracoorte Caves National Park a spot on the World Heritage List – South Australia’s only listed attraction. For more than 500,000 years giant animals roamed the Naracoorte area. Falling into well hidden pitfall caves, their fossilised skeletons were left behind, giving scientists a rare glimpse of long extinct animal life. These animals, along with others, have been recreated into life-sized models at the renowned Wonambi Fossil Centre. The park’s tourist caves also boast a glorious display of stalagmites and stalactites.

Yes I know what a remarkable place the Naracoorte Caves really are and thanks so much for the brilliant photos. :cuppaT:

I will post more later but just going offline for a few hours Sunny. :Hiya:
Keyser

Postby Keyser » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:46 pm

State of the art skeletal reconstruction of Utahraptor - around 6 metres and one ton of brick shithouse death and armed with a greater array of lethal weaponry for it's size than any other terrestrial carnivore in history. :cuppaT:

Keyser

Postby MrsP » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:23 am

Keyser wrote:State of the art skeletal reconstruction of Utahraptor - around 6 metres and one ton of brick shithouse death and armed with a greater array of lethal weaponry for it's size than any other terrestrial carnivore in history. :cuppaT:

Good to see you back K x
MrsP

Postby Keyser » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:08 am

MrsP wrote:
Keyser wrote:State of the art skeletal reconstruction of Utahraptor - around 6 metres and one ton of brick shithouse death and armed with a greater array of lethal weaponry for it's size than any other terrestrial carnivore in history. :cuppaT:

Good to see you back K x

Thanks. :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby guest » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Sunset over Tel Aviv beach :wubwub:

Postby guest » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Sea Of Galilee

Postby guest » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Garden of Gethsemane (Mount Of Olives)

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Beautiful pics Guests... :smilin:

Another place I used to visit often was the blue lake in Mt Gambier South Australia...not far from the Naracoorte caves.

As one of the most-visited tourist spots in Mount Gambier, the Blue Lake is considered to be the gem of Mount Gambier’s tourist attractions. It is certainly a unique and breath taking sight which awes thousands of visitors year after year.

Nestled on a gorgeous volcanic landscape, the Blue Lake inhabits on one of the extinct volcanic craters of Mount Gambier.
Whilst offering many awe-inspiring scenic spots of Mount Gambier and its volcanic crater, the Blue Lake also boasts a vibrant cobalt blue colour during the months of December through to March each year. From April through to November, the lake turns to a darker steel grey colour. There are a number of theories behind the mysterious colour change of the water, but it generally accepted that the change in colour has something to do with the water temperature of the Lake.

Depth: 252.62 ft
Length: 3,566 ft
Surface area: 700,000 m² (7.535 million sq feet)
Mean depth: 236.22 ft
Width: 2,156 ft
Surface elevation: 65.62 ft
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby jp761 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Pictures of Isle of Wight one of my favourite places in the world. First picture is Ventnor, one of my favourite places on the Isle of Wight. Second picture is Needles, another great location.
jp761

Postby Keyser » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Great photos folks! :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby Keyser » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:46 pm

'This elusive quality it is, which causes the thought of whiteness, when divorced from more kindly associations, and coupled with any object terrible in itself, to heighten that terror to the furthest bounds.

Witness the white bear of the poles, and the white shark of the tropics; what but their smooth, flaky whiteness makes them the transcendent horrors they are? That ghastly whiteness it is which imparts such an abhorrent mildness, even more loathsome than terrific, to the dumb gloating of their aspect. So that not the fierce-fanged tiger in his heraldic coat can so stagger courage as the white-shrouded bear or shark.'

Keyser

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive