Other Sports Thread Part Three.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Other Sports Thread Part Three.

Postby luddite » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Victoria wrote:Image

I watched the end of the Triathlon World Series in Edmonton last night after the Scotland game.

Britain's Jonathan Brownlee won it and he was very impressive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37272056

Now to see him do so well on my old bike Vic. :whistle:
luddite

Postby Vicky » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:26 pm

luddite wrote:
Victoria wrote:Image

I watched the end of the Triathlon World Series in Edmonton last night after the Scotland game.

Britain's Jonathan Brownlee won it and he was very impressive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37272056

Now to see him do so well on my old bike Vic. :whistle:

I'm sure Jonny, would do fine on your old bike Luds.

That Triathlon is something else, a swim and then a bike race and then that long run.

He didn't even seem tired at the end, like i said he was very impressive.

Vicky

Postby Drunk Dalek » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 pm

The second full day of events at the Paralympic games and nobody noticed :shake head:

Team GB have 12 gold 5 silver 9 bronze :yess:

Keep them coming ladies and gents :hap: :hap:
Drunk Dalek

Postby Keyser » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:37 pm

All our olympians doing wonderfully well. :canny:

I have not seen the fight yet but it went pretty much as expected - GGG is simply on a different planet to any other middleweight in the world.

Brook performed superbly well for a few rounds but in the end was destroyed.

When someone can identify a weakness in the bloke please let me know? :ooer:
Keyser

Postby Robocop » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Keyser wrote:All our olympians doing wonderfully well. :canny:

I have not seen the fight yet but it went pretty much as expected - GGG is simply on a different planet to any other middleweight in the world.

Aha! I was just going to post in here to check if anyone had seen the Special K vs GGG fight.

I only saw this yesterday and not live as was out and about when it was on, but what a performance from both. I have some huge respect for Brook for stepping up to that weight and I honestly think he did himself proud. I think the white flag was a bit early, but his trainer knows best and it would be horrendous if Brooks' bravery led to some proper damage.

As you well know Triple G is a monster and my god he hits like a freight train. The only possible weakness I could think of is that he doesn't use as much head movement as others, but then not much seems to get though his guard and when it does, he almost grins or nods even when hit flush!
Last edited by Robocop on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robocop

Postby Robocop » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:36 pm

On the subject of combat sports-

A fascinating UFC 203 too where there had the heavyweight championship first round of all rounds (Miocic the champ vs Alastair Overeem) which was a barnstormer and where some Wrestler dude called CM Punk who was a star in american wrestling got a rather rude awakening when it came to an actual martial arts fight inside a cage. Amazing how he can beat 7ft monsters in the 'definitely not fake' WWF, yet against some 170lb novice he got battered.

I know not many follow Mixed Martial Arts on here, but I honestly think if people like boxing, they may just grow to love it too! :thumbsup:
Robocop

Postby Keyser » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Robocop wrote:
Keyser wrote:All our olympians doing wonderfully well. :canny:

Aha! I was just going to post in here to check if anyone had seen the Special K vs GGG fight.

I only saw this yesterday and not live as was out and about when it was on, but what a performance from both. I have some huge respect for Brook for stepping up to that weight and I honestly think he did himself proud. I think the white flag was a bit early, but his trainer knows best and it would be horrendous if Brooks' bravery led to some proper damage.

As you well know Triple G is a monster and my god he hits like a freight train. The only possible weakness I could think of is that he doesn't use as much head movement as others, but then not much seems to get though his guard and when it does, he almost grins or nods even when hit flush!

I agree - but as his chin is on a level with Hagler I just don't see his punch resistance being truly tested unless he meets a really supernatural puncher - and as far as I know most fighters operate by the natural laws of biomechanics. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:25 am

The British Davis Cup team are in Glasgow ahead of their Semi-Final against Argentina at the weekend.

The lads took some time out and had a wee kickabout and what a goal by Andy Murray!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/andy-murray-tries-hand-football-8824008

Vicky

Postby Keyser » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Alright then folks.

GGG v Hagler - who have you got?

Punching power GGG - chins even, technique Marvin.

War for the ages over 15 rounds?

I think so. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Robocop » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Keyser wrote:One thing is for certain - I cannot see a knockout either way - I don't think even GGG could stop Hagler although he could and would hurt him.

2 granite chins, or should I say heads Keyser! It'd be like an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object.

What a fookin' fight that would be. I love Fantasy Boxing- the greats from yesteryear vs the monsters of today! The beauty of it (or the frustration!) is that we'll never know but it would be amazing to see.

I'd love a 10 man top HW tournament though the ages, of the best boxers, past and present a la Super Six they did a few years back! Now that would be damn interesting.
Robocop

Postby Keyser » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Robocop wrote:
Keyser wrote:One thing is for certain - I cannot see a knockout either way - I don't think even GGG could stop Hagler although he could and would hurt him.

2 granite chins, or should I say heads Keyser! It'd be like an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object.

What a fookin' fight that would be. I love Fantasy Boxing- the greats from yesteryear vs the monsters of today! The beauty of it (or the frustration!) is that we'll never know but it would be amazing to see.

I'd love a 10 man top HW tournament though the ages, of the best boxers, past and present a la Super Six they did a few years back! Now that would be damn interesting.

That would be fantastic - Louis, Liston, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and the Klitschkos (don't count most of the early heavyweights like Cribb, Sullivan, Johnson, Jeffries, Dempsey etc because they were too small/crude by modern standards).
Keyser

Postby Robocop » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Keyser wrote:
Robocop wrote:

That would be fantastic - Louis, Liston, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and the Klitschkos (don't count most of the early heavyweights like Cribb, Sullivan, Johnson, Jeffries, Dempsey etc because they were too small/crude by modern standards).

Yup, you're no doubt right re the early HWs but what a list of names that is. All in their prime, and all in a winner takes all tournament fighting each other. I would pay a lot of money to see that!

psst, you forgot Audley Harrison.. :yikes:

(sorry Big Aud, just kidding if you read/ post here(!)- you were better than people gave you credit for!)
Robocop

Postby Keyser » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Robocop wrote:
Keyser wrote:
Robocop wrote:

Yup, you're no doubt right re the early HWs but what a list of names that is. All in their prime, and all in a winner takes all tournament fighting each other. I would pay a lot of money to see that!

psst, you forgot Audley Harrison.. :yikes:

(sorry Big Aud, just kidding if you read/ post here(!)- you were better than people gave you credit for!)

My favourite would be the '58 version of Liston v the '88 version of Tyson - people forget now but the Liston of the late '50's at the time was regarded by some as the greatest heavyweight who ever lived.

Tyson faster, Sonny with the superior jab and probably raw punching power - plus the intimidation factor would come into it - the 'jailhouse' mentality did not work on Ali from an ageing Liston but it would on Tyson who was just a bully himself.
Keyser

Postby Robocop » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Keyser wrote:My favourite would be the '58 version of Liston v the '88 version of Tyson - people forget now but the Liston of the late '50's at the time was regarded by some as the greatest heavyweight who ever lived.

Tyson faster, Sonny with the superior jab and probably raw punching power - plus the intimidation factor would come into it - the 'jailhouse' mentality did not work on Ali from an ageing Liston but it would on Tyson who was just a bully himself.

Oh my god, that would be absolutely Shamazing as, erm, Nicole Scherzinger would say on the X facto.... oh you get the idea! :mrgreen:

I'm with you on the Liston thing, he was a monster too, but you know I have a bit of a thing (no homo) for Tyson in his prime. He terrified me as a kid, and I always viewed him as the 'Baddest man on the planet' when it came to boxing. We've had a similar chat before on here, and I know I probably rate Tyson a bit higher than I should, and part of it is again those rose tinted glasses of mine but for those few years, that dude was frightening.

Liston was the pre Tyson, Tyson in many ways and phantom punch/ mob stuff aside could have done even more.

It's be a cracker of a fight, that's for sure, and I hear what you're saying about the Jailhouse mentality. When Tyson couldn't intimidate people he sometimes didn't do all that well.... and Liston would be one of those guys.
Robocop

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms