Other Sports Thread Part Three.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Other Sports Thread Part Three.

Postby Keyser » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Robocop wrote:
Keyser wrote:My favourite would be the '58 version of Liston v the '88 version of Tyson - people forget now but the Liston of the late '50's at the time was regarded by some as the greatest heavyweight who ever lived.

Tyson faster, Sonny with the superior jab and probably raw punching power - plus the intimidation factor would come into it - the 'jailhouse' mentality did not work on Ali from an ageing Liston but it would on Tyson who was just a bully himself.

Oh my god, that would be absolutely Shamazing as, erm, Nicole Scherzinger would say on the X facto.... oh you get the idea! :mrgreen:

I'm with you on the Liston thing, he was a monster too, but you know I have a bit of a thing (no homo) for Tyson in his prime. He terrified me as a kid, and I always viewed him as the 'Baddest man on the planet' when it came to boxing. We've had a similar chat before on here, and I know I probably rate Tyson a bit higher than I should, and part of it is again those rose tinted glasses of mine but for those few years, that dude was frightening.

Liston was the pre Tyson, Tyson in many ways and phantom punch/ mob stuff aside could have done even more.

It's be a cracker of a fight, that's for sure, and I hear what you're saying about the Jailhouse mentality. When Tyson couldn't intimidate people he sometimes didn't do all that well.... and Liston would be one of those guys.

Yes it was said of Sonny that he died the day before he was born.

Without all the mob influence he really could have been something even more special.

Another corker to imagine is Foreman '73 v Tyson '88 - would he go the same way as Frazier? :dunno:
Keyser

Postby Robocop » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Keyser wrote:

Without all the mob influence he really could have been something even more special.

Another corker to imagine is Foreman '73 v Tyson '88 - would he go the same way as Frazier? :dunno:

Never heard that before about Liston!

Tyson was so quick for heavyweight but George hit like a truck....but then so did Tyson.. and his head movement was out of this world.... but George was bigger, stronger and wouldn't be intimidated either... erm. Hmm. I may have to ponder this some more.. :idea:
Robocop

Postby Vicky » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:31 am

The Davis Cup starts today and Andy Murray will take on former US Open Champion, Juan Martin del Potro in the opening game.

Juan Martin del Porto is ranked 64th in the world and Andy is the world number two.

Andy Murray's Granda died during the week and Andy will be unable to attend the funeral, because of the match.

Jamie Murray will be paying his respects at Gordon Murray's funeral later today.
Vicky

Postby Keyser » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Robocop wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Never heard that before about Liston!

Tyson was so quick for heavyweight but George hit like a truck....but then so did Tyson.. and his head movement was out of this world.... but George was bigger, stronger and wouldn't be intimidated either... erm. Hmm. I may have to ponder this some more.. :idea:

Discussing GGG v Hagler now on DS. :cuppaT:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthre ... 0&page=147
Keyser

Postby Drunk Dalek » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Team ParalympicsGB accomplish mission of 121 medals at Rio. :hap: :hap:

I'm sure the ladies and gents can get a few more before the end :yess:
Drunk Dalek

Postby Drunk Dalek » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Nice to see England cricket looking to the future by selecting a fat ginger 38 year old cunt to the winter tour party :brickwall:
Drunk Dalek

Postby Vicky » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Andy and Jamie Murray kept alive Great Britain's hope of retaining the Davis Cup after a four set win in the Semi-Final against Argentina.

The Scottish brothers beat Juan Martin del Porto and Leonardo Mayer 6-1 3-6 6-4 6-4 to cut Argentina's lead to 2-1 in the best of five tie in Glasgow.

Andy Murray and either Kyle Edmund or Dan Evans must win singles matches on Sunday to give Great Britain victory.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37396983

Vicky

Postby Foxy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Fabulous match. I was glued to the telly this afternoon :canny:
Foxy

Postby Vicky » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:35 am

Foxy wrote:Fabulous match. I was glued to the telly this afternoon :canny:

It was great!!

Fingers crossed for today!! Image
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:48 am

The World Triathlon Series finished in dramatic style in Mexico last night.

Britain's Jonathan Brownlee was in 1st place and looked set to win it, when the heat suddenly got to him.

His brother Alistair was behind him and practically carried him for the last few hundred metres before pushing Jonny over the finishing line.

Jonny had to be taken to hospital and was put on a drip.

It was a shame because if that hadn't happened, Jonathan Brownlee would have won.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37402716
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:24 pm

The odds on Alistair Brownlee winning Sports Personality Of The Year have been cut dramatically after last night.

Andy Murray is still the favourite to win it, but Alistair Brownlee is certainly in with a great chance.

Vicky

Postby Keyser » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Victoria wrote:Image

The odds on Alistair Brownlee winning Sports Personality Of The Year have been cut dramatically after last night.

Andy Murray is still the favourite to win it, but Alistair Brownlee is certainly in with a great chance.

It was simply a magnificent display of greatness from Alistair and even better will cement an image into the public consciousness that all of their incredible former achievements has failed to do.

Bravo to a couple of great Yorkshire lads. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 am

Keyser wrote:
Victoria wrote:Image

It was simply a magnificent display of greatness from Alistair and even better will cement an image into the public consciousness that all of their incredible former achievements has failed to do.

Bravo to a couple of great Yorkshire lads. :thumbsup:

What Alistair Brownlee did was great and it's one of the best sporting moments of the year.

Great athletes him and his brother and they're also very likeable.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:05 am

Here's an interview with Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee talking about what happened in Mexico.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/triathlon/37412774
Vicky

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:02 am

Drunk Dalek wrote:Team ParalympicsGB accomplish mission of 121 medals at Rio. :hap: :hap:

I'm sure the ladies and gents can get a few more before the end :yess:

What I saw of it was really impressive. The blind footballers really were amazing. They way these sportspeople showed how determined they were to succeed despite their setbacks was heartwarming.
I may start playing the lottery now I know they contribute to things like this. Never been tempted to play before.
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms