Other Sports Thread Part Three.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Other Sports Thread Part Three.

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:57 am

jp761 wrote:
Vicks wrote:
jp761 wrote:Elephant polo, is the Trunk used as an extra polo mallet? :mrgreen:

No idea JP.

We just brag about it, because we were world champions at something.

:Slol:
You mean you don't watch it avidly every week, Vicky.

:mrgreen:

No the only sport I follow avidly is football JP.

Only eight days to go until Rangers play them.

:SCool:
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:57 am

I've been caught up with the Darts world championships at Alexandra Palace these past few evenings, forgot just how exciting a spectator game it is.

After 30 years at the top of his 'sport' if you can call it that, Phil 'the power' Taylor lines up for the last competitive game of his career on New Years Day, after beating young hopeful Jamie Lewis 6 sets to 1 in yesterday's first semi final. The score doesn't tell the whole story as Taylor got a few scares early on, until his experience took him on to the clear victory.

The second semi final was a proper battle with Englishman Rob Cross taking on current world champion, Dutchman, Michael van Gerwen to the wire before despatching him in a thrilling sudden death final game. Van Gerwen was expected to be the other finalist after beating fellow Dutchman and darts legend, Raymond van Barneveld in the quarter finals.

So the final line up tomorrow is Taylor v Cross and the way things have panned out so far it looks to be a cracker.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Trapper John wrote:I've been caught up with the Darts world championships at Alexandra Palace these past few evenings, forgot just how exciting a spectator game it is.

After 30 years at the top of his 'sport' if you can call it that, Phil 'the power' Taylor lines up for the last competitive game of his career on New Years Day, after beating young hopeful Jamie Lewis 6 sets to 1 in yesterday's first semi final. The score doesn't tell the whole story as Taylor got a few scares early on, until his experience took him on to the clear victory.

The second semi final was a proper battle with Englishman Rob Cross taking on current world champion, Dutchman, Michael van Gerwen to the wire before despatching him in a thrilling sudden death final game. Van Gerwen was expected to be the other finalist after beating fellow Dutchman and darts legend, Raymond van Barneveld in the quarter finals.

So the final line up tomorrow is Taylor v Cross and the way things have panned out so far it looks to be a cracker.

Yes, I have been watching it too TJ!!! Love it!!!......HNY mate! :Hiya:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Sunny wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I've been caught up with the Darts world championships at Alexandra Palace these past few evenings, forgot just how exciting a spectator game it is.

Yes, I have been watching it too TJ!!! Love it!!!......HNY mate! :Hiya:

Yeah it got me hooked, I only tuned in for a few seconds to see what was what and I haven't stopped since. Want Taylor to go out with a bang tomorrow, a fitting end to a miraculous career. That young Cross is a tidy player and he'll win another time no doubt.

Happy New Year to you and yours too Sunny. :more beer:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby jp761 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:13 pm

The darts has been superb. Barney should have had MVG in the quarters. MVG has been pushing his luck in the latter stages of this years tournament, and it ran out last night against Rob cross. Should be a great final.
jp761

Postby calitom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Darts??? ......

happy New year you crazy Brits
calitom

Postby Trapper John » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:53 am

Well Phil 'the power' Taylor retired from competitive darts last night after being dealt the sort defeat he was more likely to deal his opponents over his 30 year career at the top of his game.

Rob Cross absolutely mullered Taylor with a whirlwind performance that 'the power' seeemed 'powerless' to stop, eventually winning the final 7-2 in sets.

The Rob Cross victory is even more remakable as just a year ago he was an electrician living and working in Hastings, playing pub darts in the local league for fun.

As Taylor bowed out on a fantastic and long lived career spanning three decades, you had to wonder if there is anyone to take over his mantle? if Rob Cross can keep playing the sort of darts he did last night, then you wouldn't bet against him to be a candidate.

The commentators said last night, 30 years ago a relatively unknown Phil Taylor entered the stage on finals night to play the undisputed world champion Eric Bristow, Bristow was mullered that night too.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:12 am

calitom wrote:Darts??? ......

happy New year you crazy Brits

Not so crazy Tom, Darts has a massive following around the world, particularly in the UK, Holland, Germany etc., and even in the USA, Canada and Aus.

Big darts competitions are massive spectator events, both live and on TV with Sky holding the rights and since Barry Hearn took over the promotion like he did with World Snooker, it's popularity has shot through the roof along with the rewards for the top players.

Last night for example the prize money in US dollars was $230,000 for runner up - $540,000 for winner ..... not bad for a pub game eh. :laughing:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Dean » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm

England finally won a game in Australia, about fucking time. Chasing down over 300 again, Jason Roy scored our highest ODI score with a brilliant 180 from 150 balls...
Dean

Postby jp761 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:03 pm

They did it!
jp761

Postby Keyser » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Dean wrote:England finally won a game in Australia, about fucking time. Chasing down over 300 again, Jason Roy scored our highest ODI score with a brilliant 180 from 150 balls...

Yeah listening to the Ashes on TMS was bloody torture tbh.

As for Joe root's conversion rate it just got worse and worse - yes the lad averages over 53 in tests but he gets 50 after 50 without hardly ever converting them to tons - it's a big worry and compare him to Steve Smith - who does just that and is second only to The Don in his batting average at an incredible 63.75 with 100's falling out of his arse.

Perhaps I am being unfair but I think giving the captaincy to Joe was far too early and is affecting him badly.

Selby out in a triple crown event in the first round again in The Masters after the UK debacle - bloody awful season for the World champ so far. I thought that he was the only one to stop O'Scummivan (who has been awesome recently) from winning his 8th masters and 6th World title but it looks like Mark is just too out of form (even though he played well against Williams today).

Joshua to meet Parker in a world heavyweight unification fight in Cardiff in March. Anthony should win - but he needs to shift some serious weight in my opinion - modern day heavyweight behemoths are just too massive and it affects their stamina severely.

The big future Superfight this year is of course Wilder and I would love Anthony to KTFO the yank but it's almost a pick 'em contest - I do think Joshua will stop him late though but time will tell.
Keyser

Postby jp761 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Keyser wrote:
Dean wrote:England finally won a game in Australia, about fucking time. Chasing down over 300 again, Jason Roy scored our highest ODI score with a brilliant 180 from 150 balls...

As for Joe root's conversion rate it just got worse and worse - yes the lad averages over 53 in tests but he gets 50 after 50 without hardly ever converting them to tons - it's a big worry and compare him to Steve Smith - who does just that and is second only to The Don in his batting average at an incredible 63.75 with 100's falling out of his arse.

Perhaps I am being unfair but I think giving the captaincy to Joe was far too early and is affecting him badly.

Selby out in a triple crown event in the first round again in The Masters after the UK debacle - bloody awful season for the World champ so far. I thought that he was the only one to stop O'Scummivan (who has been awesome recently) from winning his 8th masters and 6th World title but it looks like Mark is just too out of form (even though he played well against Williams today).

Joshua to meet Parker in a world heavyweight unification fight in Cardiff in March. Anthony should win - but he needs to shift some serious weight in my opinion - modern day heavyweight behemoths are just too massive and it affects their stamina severely.

The big future Superfight this year is of course Wilder and I would love Anthony to KTFO the yank but it's almost a pick 'em contest - I do think Joshua will stop him late though but time will tell.
Did you see Ronnie's game, yesterday? I caught a few highlights, the man's a genius. I heard him mention that he had double vision during that match, god help the rest of them when that clears up. :pmsl:
jp761

Postby Keyser » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:06 pm

jp761 wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Did you see Ronnie's game, yesterday? I caught a few highlights, the man's a genius. I heard him mention that he had double vision during that match, god help the rest of them when that clears up. :pmsl:

Yeah he is an utter twat but no one can deny his sheer genius.

I just wish he would grow up.

Then again I loved Alex - but he was always a tragedy waiting to happen from the day he was born - The Black Dog and alcohol do not mix well.
Keyser

Postby jp761 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Keyser wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Then again I loved Alex - but he was always a tragedy waiting to happen from the day he was born - The Black Dog and alcohol do not mix well.
He has been known to milk things.

And I think he should respect other players a bit more, he only really seems to respect John Higgins of the players who still play.
jp761

Postby Keyser » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 pm

jp761 wrote:
Keyser wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Keyser wrote:

He has been known to milk things.

And I think he should respect other players a bit more, he only really seems to respect John Higgins of the players who still play.

Yeah they have a truly great rivalry - 34-28 in his favour but still he respects him.

Personally I think Hendry at his best is still the greatest but if O'Sullivan wins another triple crown then he takes over the mantle.

Selby (until this year) has been another awesome force - but as I say this season he has been bloody awful.
Keyser

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms