Big Threads

Re: Dog's Football Thread Part Five.

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:00 pm

I don’t watch MotD... :snooty:
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Dean wrote:I don’t watch MotD... :snooty:

He's mostly on BT Sport, but that doesn't make him any lesser a cunt.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:I don’t watch MotD... :snooty:

He's mostly on BT Sport, but that doesn't make him any lesser a cunt.

If there’s one thing I find even more boring than watching football these days, it’s average ex players talking about football.
Dean

Postby Red Okktober » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Dean wrote:Human error has always been apart of football. It makes it exciting. It causes talking points. Every team will suffer and benefit from a bad or good refereeing decision.

Stop being a cry baby and enjoy the match ffs...

I disagree that ref errors make the game more 'exciting' - it causes talking points, in that fans on the wrong end of it, will talk about what a cunt the ref is.

It's far better to have a correct decision made at the time, than hope it 'balances out' over a season (which is pretty much impossible btw - such decisions tend to fade from the memory over a season, rather than balance out).

We now have goal line technology to determine whether a ball has crossed the line - would you rather we didn't, just so you say how exciting it was that ref fucked up? We need similar technology for offside asap, and other line decisions.

I hope the day comes when matches are reffed by computers, with instant decisions, all 100% accurate. The best team should win a match, not the luckiest one.

Does this excitement over work-related errors stretch to other vocations? Say you went into hospital for a hernia operation, and the surgeon made an error and whipped your bollocks off instead? Would you find that exciting? I imagine it would provide a good 'talking point' though.
Red Okktober

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Dean wrote:Human error has always been apart of football. It makes it exciting. It causes talking points. Every team will suffer and benefit from a bad or good refereeing decision.

Stop being a cry baby and enjoy the match ffs...

I disagree that ref errors make the game more 'exciting' - it causes talking points, in that fans on the wrong end of it, will talk about what a cunt the ref is.

It's far better to have a correct decision made at the time, than hope it 'balances out' over a season (which is pretty much impossible btw - such decisions tend to fade from the memory over a season, rather than balance out).

We now have goal line technology to determine whether a ball has crossed the line - would you rather we didn't, just so you say how exciting it was that ref fucked up? We need similar technology for offside asap, and other line decisions.

I hope the day comes when matches are reffed by computers, with instant decisions, all 100% accurate. The best team should win a match, not the luckiest one.

Does this excitement over work-related errors stretch to other vocations? Say you went into hospital for a hernia operation, and the surgeon made an error and whipped your bollocks off instead? Would you find that exciting? I imagine it would provide a good 'talking point' though.

Goal line technology is great. There’s no grey area. It’s either over or not.

I’m assuming your last paragraph is an attempt at humour so I’ll ignore it.
Dean

Postby Red Okktober » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Dean wrote:Goal line technology is great. There’s no grey area. It’s either over or not.

I was wondering why you find errors so exciting, but never mind.

The skill of the two teams should provide the excitement, not the refereeing decisions.

With computer refs, there wouldn't be any grey areas either - every single possibly of what could happen on a football pitch, would be programmed in, and deemed either legal or illegal play.
Red Okktober

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Dean wrote:Goal line technology is great. There’s no grey area. It’s either over or not.

I was wondering why you find errors so exciting, but never mind.

The skill of the two teams should provide the excitement, not the refereeing decisions.

With computer refs, there wouldn't be any grey areas either - every single possibly of what could happen on a football pitch, would be programmed in, and deemed either legal or illegal play.

It’s not so much that I find errors exciting, but the opposite option of stopping play for every dubious decision would be very dull. Until we get your super computer that officiates a game with no breaks in play and no errors, I’ll stick with the errors over a 90 minute match lasting 4 hours with all the stoppages.

Does that answer your question?
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:37 pm

La Liga is the latest league to agree to initiate video ref technology as soon as next season.

In principle it looks fine but it appears as if they will stop the game to view the footage rather than have another ref view it and relay it during play, I don't like that idea.

There are also rumblings of reducing match times to 60 minutes but stopping the watch everytime the ball leaves play or the game stops, not sure I like that idea much either.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Trapper John wrote:La Liga is the latest league to agree to initiate video ref technology as soon as next season.

In principle it looks fine but it appears as if they will stop the game to view the footage rather than have another ref view it and relay it during play, I don't like that idea.

There are also rumblings of reducing match times to 60 minutes but stopping the watch everytime the ball leaves play or the game stops, not sure I like that idea much either.

Video footage is used in the NFL, but their sport is a play by play game that suits stoppages and breaks in play. We would lose the end to end feel of football if we had to stop to view incidents.
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Dean wrote:
Trapper John wrote:La Liga is the latest league to agree to initiate video ref technology as soon as next season.

Video footage is used in the NFL, but their sport is a play by play game that suits stoppages and breaks in play. We would lose the end to end feel of football if we had to stop to view incidents.

Yep agreed.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:

Yep agreed.

I, for one, welcome our football officiating super computer robots...
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Dean wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:

Yep agreed.

I don't see how even the most perfect machine will please everybody, though the goal-line technology is pretty much perfect with everyone seeming to accept it.

I do think though that much can be done to improve decision making with technology that wouldn't necessarily destroy the flow of the game but maybe that would take away the idea of a single ref having the final say, something the footballing authorities would baulk at.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Dean » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:

Yep agreed.

I don't see how even the most perfect machine will please everybody, though the goal-line technology is pretty much perfect with everyone seeming to accept it.

I do think though that much can be done to improve decision making with technology that wouldn't necessarily destroy the flow of the game but maybe that would take away the idea of a single ref having the final say, something the footballing authorities would baulk at.

Anything that would cut out mistakes without disrupting the flow of the game I’d be in favour of, you’d be a fool not to really. Other than goal line technology, I can’t see another aid that would do it though. Maybe something that could make decisions on off side would be good, but we don’t have the tech yet...
Dean

Postby Vicky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Vicky wrote:
I'm Scottish.

Does that make me less of a human being in your eyes, do you think i'm scum of some kind?

"There's a house burning down with a woman trapped in it, leave her, she's only Scottish"

:dafinger:

Don't be so dramatic as if I'd just come out and say that :roll:

I'd ask around first to confirm the nationality, before doing nothing.

Anyway i know you're joking..

I'm sure if i was in a house fire, you would be the first up a ladder to get me.

:wubbers:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-42054350

West Ham fans have been told to stop phoning 999 after "Losing Again"

:header:
Vicky

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive