Dog's Got Talent!

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Dog's Got Talent!

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:19 am

Canary wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:Practice! My Nanna had some of my very first drawings framed in her house, and I'd cringe every time I saw them. They where done with standard sketching pencils, and the shading was barely there. I think half the battle is finding a style that actually works for you. So far I think my best work is with charcoals. It's the bloody Disney shit that sells most though, as soon as I get prints done they pretty much sell in a few days.

But they must have been very precious to her. It's not a question of how much expertise was involved, it's the fact that her grandchild drew them. Even the mis shapen matchstick figures my little lad drew in nursey school were precious and the fridge was covered in them. Still got them and always will.

Yes, you're completely right. She absolutely loved them, they had pride of place whilst she was still around. I always drew her new things, with the intention for her to replace the old stuff. But she just ended up with more on the walls, until eventually she ran out of space and started to keep them in a photo album thing that she'd leave open on the coffee table.

She was always my biggest fan. I don't half miss her.
NastyNickers

Postby NastyNickers » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Why is it, as soon as the nicer weather comes about, every man and his dog wants a bloody portrait. I've been absolutely run off my feet with work and commissions.
I'm working on a German Shephard at the minute. Thought I'd share a 'mid progress' one, where you can see my fucking terrible, child like sketches.

(For those that see right through me, you're right, this is totally just an excuse to post. I haven't been lurking DS, so have nothing to add to the thread but I needed my dogs fix :wubwub: )
NastyNickers

Postby Keyser » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:12 am

NastyNickers wrote:Why is it, as soon as the nicer weather comes about, every man and his dog wants a bloody portrait. I've been absolutely run off my feet with work and commissions.
I'm working on a German Shephard at the minute. Thought I'd share a 'mid progress' one, where you can see my fucking terrible, child like sketches.

(For those that see right through me, you're right, this is totally just an excuse to post. I haven't been lurking DS, so have nothing to add to the thread but I needed my dogs fix :wubwub: )

Nothing wrong with showing artistic talent NN - and utterly how wonderful to make money out of it! :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby Rockstar » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:26 am

NastyNickers wrote:Why is it, as soon as the nicer weather comes about, every man and his dog wants a bloody portrait. I've been absolutely run off my feet with work and commissions.

Wowow.....That's great.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rockstar

Postby Holly » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am

Rockstar wrote:

Ooooh I just saw this...I agree, this is fantastic, just look at the eyes, they look like a photograph, so real. I would be happy to have a portray of my dog ( who passed away last year ) painted or sketched by NN and I would be happy to pay well for it. You really do have super talent NN :thumbsup:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:35 am

Yeah. I can see how really "fucking terrible" that's looking :mrgreen:

Don't forget to post the end result. That'll probably be "fucking terrible", too. Right?

You crack me up, Nic! :mrgreen:
Vam

Postby Holly » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:35 am

Holly wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Ooooh I just saw this...I agree, this is fantastic, just look at the eyes, they look like a photograph, so real. I would be happy to have a portray of my dog ( who passed away last year ) painted or sketched by NN and I would be happy to pay well for it. You really do have super talent NN :thumbsup:

Oh boy, I wish I could do this.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:29 am

Vam wrote:

Yeah. I can see how really "fucking terrible" that's looking :mrgreen:

Don't forget to post the end result. That'll probably be "fucking terrible", too. Right?

You crack me up, Nic! :mrgreen:

The sketching! It is terrible. I often sit and look at my line work and think "what the fuck is that supposed to be".

I also got new pencils though. I usually use Polychromos but I got Prismacolors and I'm struggling to find the right tones for the sandy colour fur, and it's taking a while to get used to such a soft core. Other than the linework and the colour though.. I love it :pmsl:
NastyNickers

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:39 am

Holly wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Thank you lovely! If you put up some photos of your puppers I'd love to give it a go. Though I couldn't accept any payment, it would be a gift.
NastyNickers

Postby rollup » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Expression on the dogs face is perfect.
rollup

Postby Stooo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:17 pm

Slightly cloudy eyes, older dog? If it is then I'm blown away by the detail (I'm blown away anyway).
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Stooo wrote:

Slightly cloudy eyes, older dog? If it is then I'm blown away by the detail (I'm blown away anyway).

Oh wow! I'm amazed you spotted that! She has slight nuclear sclerosis, so there's a bluey/cloudy look, but it's not really pronounced yet.
NastyNickers

Postby Stooo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Oh wow! I'm amazed you spotted that! She has slight nuclear sclerosis, so there's a bluey/cloudy look, but it's not really pronounced yet.

That's some serious attention to detail Nicks, can't wait to see the finished painting.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:23 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I noticed NN. :smilin:

Can I ask some advice?

My Mam has finally found the right frame for the frog and I have just cut it down for size.

What is the modern way to sign your work?

I used to just put my name and a copyright symbol and date at the far right bottom corner.

Is that still the way to do it?

Thank you. :more beer:
Keyser

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:10 pm

I think it's pretty much still the same. I put my name on the front, either in the bottom right corner or incorporated into it. For example, I wrote my name on the lapel of a brown jacket, in a slightly lighter shade along the stitch line. This was done for online purposes though really, I whack up a photo of things I'm selling as prints. And I don't want the signature to be easily erased.

For a gift for my mam I'd probably sign it in the bottom corner, then sign and date it on the back, with maybe a title or a few notes on the back. If it's a personal one I do a message. On the back of this dog I'm going to write a little get well note.
NastyNickers

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms