Dog's Got Talent!

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Random Stuff Part Seventeen.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 am

Keyser wrote:
14317604_10154514654819859_7460475685038748366_n.jpg
Vam wrote:At some point, maybe our arty guest might treat us to a little glimpse of their work too?

No prob if they'd rather not, of course! :wink:

I hope so as well. :cuppaT:

Posted these before - from '95 (some from plans and very poor quality photos - no net in those days) - first and only time I used ink and would far rather do natural subjects than architecture tbh (if I ever get my mojo back).

Apologies for the poor quality of the photocopies and photos. :shame:

Did you trace those pictures?

Postby Keyser » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:10 am

Guest wrote:
Keyser wrote:
14317604_10154514654819859_7460475685038748366_n.jpg
Vam wrote:At some point, maybe our arty guest might treat us to a little glimpse of their work too?

No prob if they'd rather not, of course! :wink:

I hope so as well. :cuppaT:

Posted these before - from '95 (some from plans and very poor quality photos - no net in those days) - first and only time I used ink and would far rather do natural subjects than architecture tbh (if I ever get my mojo back).

Apologies for the poor quality of the photocopies and photos. :shame:

Did you trace those pictures?

They were all original hand drawn reconstructions from old architectural plans and photos as some of the buildings were long gone (no internet in' 95) and I have never traced - even beginning primary school it seemed like blatant 'cheating' to me. :smilin:

Wish the photocopies were better. The originals are much clearer and more atmospheric.

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments.wubwub:
Keyser

Postby NastyNickers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:08 am

Oh keys, they are wonderful! I love architectural drawings. I draw plans for buildings every sodding day and it's rare that I ever see actual, proper hand drawn lovelies.
NastyNickers

Postby NastyNickers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am

arty guest wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
arty guest wrote:They can be really really vibrant because it's ink rather than paint there's a really beautiful clarity to the colours...if you want a paler subtler colour just lightly graze the paper with the pencil. Once dry they are permanent but when they are wet flood with water and you can often remove errors as long as you sort of keep it wet and don't let it dry out....i think you would have fun playing with them i certainly did/do!!!

Oh these definitely sound more me! Every time I've experimented with water colours ive always fucked up and got colour bleeds and mixing. I reckon I'd be able to layer with these better. I'm going to invest in a set I think. Now to decide if I'm going to go all out and get the big set, or keep it small to start.

Yes let them dry and you will be ok....if you want colours fading into each other put both colours down and then use the waterbrush and you can get that lovely watercolour effect where they sort of fade from one colour to the next.

I will confess i got the 20 pencils frst but after the first time of using them i got the post set of 72 in the wooden box!! i haven't regretted it they are lovely!!!
we need an artists palette smiley!

I'll probably go for the 75! It doesn't take much to persuade me to try something new, and you've definitely got me sold! I'm thinking, since I'm already used to colour pencils, it won't be too much of a transition. And I've got a Alice in Wonderland montage thingy that I think will go really well with these.
I also want the 150 box of Prismacolors. I use Fabre Castells polychromos usually, but I tried the prismas yesterday's and they are so smooth!

And I agree with Vam. I'd love to see some of your work.

(And thank you Frankly! :wubwub: )
NastyNickers

Postby Keyser » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:52 am

NastyNickers wrote:Oh keys, they are wonderful! I love architectural drawings. I draw plans for buildings every sodding day and it's rare that I ever see actual, proper hand drawn lovelies.

Thanks so much. :cuppaT:

That means a lot! :wubbers:
Keyser

Postby arty guest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:43 am

NastyNickers wrote:
arty guest wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
arty guest wrote:They can be really really vibrant because it's ink rather than paint there's a really beautiful clarity to the colours...if you want a paler subtler colour just lightly graze the paper with the pencil. Once dry they are permanent but when they are wet flood with water and you can often remove errors as long as you sort of keep it wet and don't let it dry out....i think you would have fun playing with them i certainly did/do!!!

Oh these definitely sound more me! Every time I've experimented with water colours ive always fucked up and got colour bleeds and mixing. I reckon I'd be able to layer with these better. I'm going to invest in a set I think. Now to decide if I'm going to go all out and get the big set, or keep it small to start.

Yes let them dry and you will be ok....if you want colours fading into each other put both colours down and then use the waterbrush and you can get that lovely watercolour effect where they sort of fade from one colour to the next.

I will confess i got the 20 pencils frst but after the first time of using them i got the post set of 72 in the wooden box!! i haven't regretted it they are lovely!!!
we need an artists palette smiley!

I'll probably go for the 75! It doesn't take much to persuade me to try something new, and you've definitely got me sold! I'm thinking, since I'm already used to colour pencils, it won't be too much of a transition. And I've got a Alice in Wonderland montage thingy that I think will go really well with these.
I also want the 150 box of Prismacolors. I use Fabre Castells polychromos usually, but I tried the prismas yesterday's and they are so smooth!

And I agree with Vam. I'd love to see some of your work.

(And thank you Frankly! :wubwub: )

Oooo I've not tried the prisma colours!! I've just started trying actual watercolour paints!! It's all very new and exciting!
I tried to post something i did the other day (I was inspired after I saw your beautiful drawings) but as i'm a guesty i couldn't upload directly and my imgur has my name attached to it. I'm trying to figure out how to make my dropbox anonymous and when i do that i'll post some stuff for you!

I tried watercolours in the past and found them quite challenging, it's hard to resist loading the paint and using them like poster paints, which isn't the point of watercolour - I love the clarity and softness of colour. Strangely one of my favourite things I've done is when I did a bunch of pictures for a aromotherapy website, I painted the plants the oils came from and did this single eucalyptus leaf which I'm sure most people think is really boring but I love! It reminds me of those amazing botanical drawings done in the 19th century (not as good i hasten to add!).
After seeing your animal pictures the other day I tried to challenge myself and painted a curlew! If I can solve my image hosting issues I'll post it.
arty guest

Postby NastyNickers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:39 am

arty guest wrote:
Oooo I've not tried the prisma colours!! I've just started trying actual watercolour paints!! It's all very new and exciting!
I tried to post something i did the other day (I was inspired after I saw your beautiful drawings) but as i'm a guesty i couldn't upload directly and my imgur has my name attached to it. I'm trying to figure out how to make my dropbox anonymous and when i do that i'll post some stuff for you!

I tried watercolours in the past and found them quite challenging, it's hard to resist loading the paint and using them like poster paints, which isn't the point of watercolour - I love the clarity and softness of colour. Strangely one of my favourite things I've done is when I did a bunch of pictures for a aromotherapy website, I painted the plants the oils came from and did this single eucalyptus leaf which I'm sure most people think is really boring but I love! It reminds me of those amazing botanical drawings done in the 19th century (not as good i hasten to add!).
After seeing your animal pictures the other day I tried to challenge myself and painted a curlew! If I can solve my image hosting issues I'll post it.

I avoided prismacolors because I heard they constantly snapped and you needed a special sharpener for them. But after trying them yesterday on a little doodle, they seem to get a much smoother blend than the polychromos do. I do love my polychromos though, and I don't think the prismas will work as well for the Disney style I do.

I use tinypic for my uploads here. Select the photo, change the size to the message board option in the drop down box and upload. Don't need an account or anything!

I have issues with watercolours. I love acrylic and oils, though my lack of proper technique means they take far longer than they should. But I've never been able to watercolour. Oh I LOVE old style botanical drawings! I have a tattoo in that style on my arm. A red poppy with a single leaf and some forget me nots. Sometimes the simplest of images are the best though.
NastyNickers

Dog's Got Talent!

Postby Vam » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:50 am

Following on from something Holly posted, I think it would be a shame if the fabulous work posted in recent days ended up bring buried within the Random thread.

There's clearly a lot of hidden, unsung creativity and talent among the (very modest!) Dogs members and Guests :ooer:

So, if you can be arsed, how about showcasing here whatever arts and crafts - or any creative activity you're into - in a dedicated thread like this?

Up to you guys, of course! :thumbsup:
Vam

Re: Dog's Got Talent!

Postby Vam » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 am

....@ Nic - still waiting to see the baby elephant. No pressure. At all. :mrgreen:
Vam

Postby NastyNickers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Oh wonderful thread Vam! I was waiting for something like this to pop up. I won't feel as bad spamming the random thread with my shit now :gigglesnshit:

I more or less finished the elephants the other night! They still need some highlights and a little work on the ears, but I need some more cotton buds. Honestly, they'd still be sat waiting for me to get round to them if you hadn't prodded. I'm terrible for not going back to things once I've taken a break.

NastyNickers

Postby Vam » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Ohhhhh ... :wubwub: Look at those gentle, contented little eyes!!!... :wubwub:

I zoomed bigger, to see the detail better. Just gorgeous work, Nic. Seriously :Wiiiine!:
Vam

Postby Vam » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Hope this thread takes off....Jack, fancy sticking some of your music in here? :thumbsup:
Vam

Postby arty guest » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:02 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
I avoided prismacolors because I heard they constantly snapped and you needed a special sharpener for them. But after trying them yesterday on a little doodle, they seem to get a much smoother blend than the polychromos do. I do love my polychromos though, and I don't think the prismas will work as well for the Disney style I do.

I use tinypic for my uploads here. Select the photo, change the size to the message board option in the drop down box and upload. Don't need an account or anything!

I have issues with watercolours. I love acrylic and oils, though my lack of proper technique means they take far longer than they should. But I've never been able to watercolour. Oh I LOVE old style botanical drawings! I have a tattoo in that style on my arm. A red poppy with a single leaf and some forget me nots. Sometimes the simplest of images are the best though.

Thanks NN!
Hopefully this will be the curlew....other stuff is on another machine so i can't access atm!
This is my first ever watercolour!
arty guest

Postby NastyNickers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Vam wrote:Ohhhhh ... :wubwub: Look at those gentle, contented little eyes!!!... :wubwub:

I zoomed bigger, to see the detail better. Just gorgeous work, Nic. Seriously :Wiiiine!:

Thank you! I need to invest in a better camera. I get prints of my work, and they are bang on, but this bloody iPhone camera just misses allllll the deets! Drives me bonkers.
NastyNickers

Postby Vam » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:19 pm

arty guest wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:

Thanks NN!
Hopefully this will be the curlew....other stuff is on another machine so i can't access atm!
This is my first ever watercolour!

Your first watercolour? Ever? :yikes:

I don't believe you :wink: Brilliant stuff.
Vam

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms