How to survive a Nuclear Attack!

A right load of bollocks...

Re: How to survive a Nuclear Attack!

Postby Lambert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Stooo wrote:The fact is that there is little that you can do to survive a nuclear attack and hardly any reason why you would want to.

The first wave would be high altitude explosions which would yield an EMP discharge that would wipe out electrical systems and turn communications into chaos. Then military and industrial targets and finally the last wave hitting civilian populations of over 200k.

The lucky ones would be vapourised in the initial blasts, no pain, no realisation. Those further away would be hit by the shockwave and firestorms that will last for weeks, endlessly re-cycling the rain of fallout. These people will not have any help whatsoever, they will die within days from shock, injuries, suicide or radiation sickness. Those further out will still receive near fatal levels of radiation and will linger until they succumb to sickness, disease or starvation. There will be a nuclear winter because of the amount of filth kicked up into the atmosphere, this will include massive amounts of radiation that will take around five weeks to litter every corner of our planet ensuring the slow and agonising death of everyone. In short, you may initially survive but it won't be pleasant or for very long.

Dialogue is needed in the current crisis, ramping up the threats is unhelpful and dangerous. NK does this every April to coincide with US/SK war games in the area and every August to commemorate NK independence. Trump has to try and keep the growing investigation against him out of the news and I believe is deluded enough to start a war to keep it out of the headlines.

That's a very extreme Doomsday scenario. There is pretty much no chance of that ever happening, mostly for the reasons given by Trapper John, i.e the people who could make such a thing happen almost certainly wouldn't want to do it.

I should be ok though, I've got a table I can hide under.
Lambert

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Lambert wrote:
Stooo wrote:The fact is that there is little that you can do to survive a nuclear attack and hardly any reason why you would want to.

The first wave would be high altitude explosions which would yield an EMP discharge that would wipe out electrical systems and turn communications into chaos. Then military and industrial targets and finally the last wave hitting civilian populations of over 200k.

The lucky ones would be vapourised in the initial blasts, no pain, no realisation. Those further away would be hit by the shockwave and firestorms that will last for weeks, endlessly re-cycling the rain of fallout. These people will not have any help whatsoever, they will die within days from shock, injuries, suicide or radiation sickness. Those further out will still receive near fatal levels of radiation and will linger until they succumb to sickness, disease or starvation. There will be a nuclear winter because of the amount of filth kicked up into the atmosphere, this will include massive amounts of radiation that will take around five weeks to litter every corner of our planet ensuring the slow and agonising death of everyone. In short, you may initially survive but it won't be pleasant or for very long.

Dialogue is needed in the current crisis, ramping up the threats is unhelpful and dangerous. NK does this every April to coincide with US/SK war games in the area and every August to commemorate NK independence. Trump has to try and keep the growing investigation against him out of the news and I believe is deluded enough to start a war to keep it out of the headlines.

That's a very extreme Doomsday scenario. There is pretty much no chance of that ever happening, mostly for the reasons given by Trapper John, i.e the people who could make such a thing happen almost certainly wouldn't want to do it.

Sadly it's a best case scenario.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lambert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:52 pm

In which particular situation? Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be assuming that a nuclear exchange would inevitably lead to global conflagration.
Lambert

Postby Nucks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Lambert wrote:

A 1950's American fridge is your best bet.
Nucks

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Lambert wrote:In which particular situation? Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be assuming that a nuclear exchange would inevitably lead to global conflagration.

It tends to be a bit problematic when fallout starts killing your citizens let alone the refugee issues. An exchange will lead to all out nuclear war, that's the point of the thing.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby charlie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:59 pm

I don't think there's much of a definable difference between Trump and Jong Un.

They're both functioning psychopaths!

Has anyone seen the 1986 animation 'When the Wind Blows'?

It's about an elderly, naive, married couple faced with the aftermath of nuclear war, and how to deal with it based on ill-advised pamphlets issued by the government.

It's both funny and sad at the same time and written by the wonderful Raymond Briggs.
charlie

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:09 pm

charlie wrote:I don't think there's much of a definable difference between Trump and Jong Un.

It's about an elderly, naive, married couple faced with the aftermath of nuclear war, and how to deal with it based on ill-advised pamphlets issued by the government.

It's both funny and sad at the same time and written by the wonderful Raymond Briggs.

Yeah, 'The Day After' was similar in some ways. The soundtrack on TDA was rubbish until you realised at the end of the film that all of the Hollywood bullshit was exactly that and everyone died of radiation sickness (with no soundtrack) at the end.

Threads however just dealt it out for what it is.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
Lambert wrote:

Thanks Mr Jones :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:51 pm

charlie wrote:I don't think there's much of a definable difference between Trump and Jong Un.

Saw Threads as a child and have never forgotten it - utterly chilling.

But I have not seen when the wind blows though Charlie.

As for the wig he is just bullshitting to deflect from the oncoming storm - even that stupid, narcissistic bastard will not risk a world war with China.
Keyser

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Keyser wrote:

Saw Threads as a child and have never forgotten it - utterly chilling.

But I have not seen when the wind blows though Charlie.

As for the wig he is just bullshitting to deflect from the oncoming storm - even that stupid, narcissistic bastard will not risk a world war with China.

For context:

Threads
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Nucks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Stooo wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
Lambert wrote:

Ahem, that's Dr Jones, tyvm. :awesome:
Nucks

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
Lambert wrote:

Ahem, that's Dr Jones, tyvm. :awesome:

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lambert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Stooo wrote:
Lambert wrote:In which particular situation? Correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be assuming that a nuclear exchange would inevitably lead to global conflagration.

It tends to be a bit problematic when fallout starts killing your citizens let alone the refugee issues. An exchange will lead to all out nuclear war, that's the point of the thing.

I don't see that as an inevitability.

In this particular situation Kim doesn't want to commit suicide by nuking anyone and Trump and his people don't want to be the ones to shoot first, plus they have nothing to gain by doing so anyway, so ultimately diplomacy will win out.

Also, cheers for that Threads link, wouldn't mind watching it again. IIRC it was actually quite harrowing.
Lambert

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Lambert wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I don't see that as an inevitability.

In this particular situation Kim doesn't want to commit suicide by nuking anyone and Trump and his people don't want to be the ones to shoot first, so ultimately diplomacy will win out.

Also, cheers for that Threads link, wouldn't mind watching it again. IIRC it was actually quite harrowing.

I hope so too.

It took me a lot of time to find a decent Threads stream, sleep well :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lambert » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Pretty sure I remember a bit where you see ET on fire. Yep - skip to 50:16 :mrgreen:
Lambert

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms