Assisted Dying

A right load of bollocks...

Assisted Dying

Postby Vam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am

What do you think? Should the existing laws be changed?
Vam

Re: Assisted Dying

Postby Vam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:32 am

Poor man...one of many similar cases, where it's considered "best" and more "humane" to just let people helplessly suffer.

http://news.sky.com/story/terminally-ill-man-loses-challenge-on-assisted-dying-11067612
Vam

Postby Lambert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:49 am

It's their body. People with terminal or extremely life-limiting conditions should be allowed to die if they so wish, and the people assisting them should not be subject to prosecution unless there are grounds for suspicion. There is nothing morally correct in forcing mentally healthy but physically unwell people to suffer.
Lambert

Postby Vam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:53 am

Lambert wrote:It's their body. People with terminal or extremely life-limiting conditions should be allowed to die if they so wish, and the people assisting them should not be subject to prosecution unless there are grounds for suspicion. There is nothing morally correct in forcing mentally healthy but physically unwell people to suffer.

This :thumbsup: Every :thumbsup: Single :thumbsup: Word :thumbsup:

At least 8 people a week leaving the UK to travel to Switzerland.
Vam

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:13 am

I'm totally PRO Assisted Dying if people wish do do that, I don't think it's fair of any Government to make decisions for terminally ill people who have no chance of ever recovering and might be in horrendous pain ...however, I never understood why people who want to die, just don't go ahead and do it? Why would they need permission? My Husband passed away of cancer...we had a huge bottle of liquid Morphine in the house. If he would have wanted to go in his own time, at any time, he could have taken an overdose.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Markey mark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:41 am

Holly wrote:I'm totally PRO Assisted Dying if people wish do do that, I don't think it's fair of any Government to make decisions for terminally ill people who have no chance of ever recovering and might be in horrendous pain ...however, I never understood why people who want to die, just don't go ahead and do it? Why would they need permission? My Husband passed away of cancer...we had a huge bottle of liquid Morphine in the house. If he would have wanted to go in his own time, at any time, he could have taken an overdose.

If you don’t mind me asking , when your husband was told he had cancer , did he give up or put up a fight , last person to die in my family of cancer was my uncle , when he was told that he had cancer he said that it , within weeks perfectly fit looking bloke , just wasted away and died with weeks , then I was watching the news and this cancer suffer was given weeks to live , but said I fight it and four years later she alive and run half marathons for charity’s , even though she riddled with cancer .

But coming back to assistant dying why wait to travel when you can do it at home
Markey mark

Postby Vam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:49 am

Holly wrote:I'm totally PRO Assisted Dying if people wish do do that, I don't think it's fair of any Government to make decisions for terminally ill people who have no chance of ever recovering and might be in horrendous pain ...however, I never understood why people who want to die, just don't go ahead and do it? Why would they need permission? My Husband passed away of cancer...we had a huge bottle of liquid Morphine in the house. If he would have wanted to go in his own time, at any time, he could have taken an overdose.

Okay in theory, but maybe not as easy as it seems. Two potential problems immediately spring to mind.

How can it be done in such a way that would avoid a loved one/partner/carer later being investigated or even prosecuted for any involvement or collusion?

Without medical supervision, what if the attempted suicide fails and people end up in an even worse state than before?
Vam

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 am

just refuse fluids and nourishment if you want to go, it worked well enough at killing the poor souls on the liverpool care pathway. then your loved one wouldn't be facing charges.

Postby Holly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:55 am

Markey mark wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking , when your husband was told he had cancer , did he give up or put up a fight , last person to die in my family of cancer was my uncle , when he was told that he had cancer he said that it , within weeks perfectly fit looking bloke , just wasted away and died with weeks , then I was watching the news and this cancer suffer was given weeks to live , but said I fight it and four years later she alive and run half marathons for charity’s , even though she riddled with cancer .

But coming back to assistant dying why wait to travel when you can do it at home

My Husband went though the typical initial denial and was putting up a fight, then came extreme anger and finally acceptance. At the time of diagnosis he was given about 2 years if he will take chemo...he did take chemo and past away exactly 2 years later.
Having seen what chemo does to people, I don't think I would ever go through it, I'd rather take my destiny into my own hands...assisted or not.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Markey mark wrote:

What if you're of sound mind, but have zero control of your body and completely unable to do it yourself at home, because you're totally dependent on a carer for your every need?
Vam

Postby Vam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Guest wrote:just refuse fluids and nourishment if you want to go, it worked well enough at killing the poor souls on the liverpool care pathway. then your loved one wouldn't be facing charges.

That seems a feasible option, I guess, even though it would result in even more pain and discomfort added to a terminally ill person's suffering.
Vam

Postby Lambert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure you'd be held accountable if the person in your care began to starve themselves to death and you did nothing.
Lambert

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Vam wrote:
Guest wrote:just refuse fluids and nourishment if you want to go, it worked well enough at killing the poor souls on the liverpool care pathway. then your loved one wouldn't be facing charges.

That seems a feasible option, I guess, even though it would result in even more pain and discomfort added to a terminally ill person's suffering.

short term discomfort. if someone wants to die that much, they would take the added discomfort rather than try to get their loved ones to commit murder, surely?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Lambert wrote:I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure you'd be held accountable if the person in your care began to starve themselves to death and you did nothing.

likewise i'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure you'd be held accountable if the person in your care asked you to put a pillow over their face and lean down for 10 minutes and you did as they asked.

Postby Markey mark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Vam wrote:
Markey mark wrote:

What if you're of sound mind, but have zero control of your body and completely unable to do it yourself at home, because you're totally dependent on a carer for your every need?

I didn’t think of that, I just find the whole planning of assisted dying , hard . Myself I couldn’t plan it , it would be a sudden, spur of the moment
Markey mark

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms