Wolf Whistling

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Wolf Whistling

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm

jp761 wrote:
Guest wrote:wolf whistling can actually be very unsettling. not every woman sees it as a 'compliment' & it's humiliating to be reduced to a piece of meat. some women like being whistled at, some don't mind & some hate it. it's not something any woman or girl should have to put up with or be shamed into accepting.
I hope you take the same kind of stance when a random guy is wolf-whistled at or hollered at(Oi,Oi etc) by a woman or a group of women. It obviously happens.

Like I've said I personally wouldn't complain about wolf-whistling alone, seems too petty imo. But as I've asked, I wonder if you are taking an equal stance on this issue.

it doesn't matter which sex it's aimed at, it's wrong.

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Stooo wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:I fucking hate wolf whistling. I'm not a dog. I only ever get it when I'm going to the gym in the evening and the beer garden is busy. I generally ignore it unless it's followed by shitty comments (which half the time it is), and shitty comments get a suitable reply.

However. It's not something I'd ever dream of getting the police involved with. Not unless it was part of a larger harassment issue.

Do you agree with women who choose to wear the burka and who subsequently suffer abuse?

Abusing anyone for what they are wearing is absolutely wrong. Whether that be a burka or a miniskirt (except a city shirt. I reserve the right to chuck abuse at my fella when he's in a city shirt).

I'm a bit mixed on the burka itself. Im all for the freedom to wear what the fuck you want, as long as it's not forced on you by controlling cunts. And anything that lets you leave the house without brushing your hair or getting out of your PJs is fine by me!
NastyNickers

Postby Major » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 pm

The day will come when anyone wearing a burka here will have it ripped from them.
Major
Twat.

Postby McAz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Major Starbold wrote:The day will come when anyone wearing a burka here will have it ripped from them.

Is that what you advocate?
McAz

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

jp761 wrote: And I don't think the vast majority of people are so naive to think that wolf-whistling is the major or only form, of street harassment.

That's what I hope as well but it doesn't explain why people generally seem to get far more animated or passionate about the potential unfairness of criminalising wolf whistling but are content to remain silent of the problem of actual harassment (of varying levels).

That doesn't make much sense.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:06 pm

McAz wrote:
Major Starbold wrote:The day will come when anyone wearing a burka here will have it ripped from them.

it seems the 'major' is admitting it's what he intends to do to women himself.

Postby McAz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Guest wrote:
McAz wrote:

it seems the 'major' is admitting it's what he intends to do to women himself.

Army officers don't assault women, do they?
McAz

Postby jp761 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Guest wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Guest wrote:wolf whistling can actually be very unsettling. not every woman sees it as a 'compliment' & it's humiliating to be reduced to a piece of meat. some women like being whistled at, some don't mind & some hate it. it's not something any woman or girl should have to put up with or be shamed into accepting.
I hope you take the same kind of stance when a random guy is wolf-whistled at or hollered at(Oi,Oi etc) by a woman or a group of women. It obviously happens.

Like I've said I personally wouldn't complain about wolf-whistling alone, seems too petty imo. But as I've asked, I wonder if you are taking an equal stance on this issue.

it doesn't matter which sex it's aimed at, it's wrong.
Fair play.
jp761

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 pm

No, it isn't.

Young people now are the most tolerant, open minded and inclusive generation I've come across in my lifetime.

I'm a Gen X'er and they leave us in the dust...
Avon Barksdale

Postby Stooo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Stooo wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:I fucking hate wolf whistling. I'm not a dog. I only ever get it when I'm going to the gym in the evening and the beer garden is busy. I generally ignore it unless it's followed by shitty comments (which half the time it is), and shitty comments get a suitable reply.

However. It's not something I'd ever dream of getting the police involved with. Not unless it was part of a larger harassment issue.

Do you agree with women who choose to wear the burka and who subsequently suffer abuse?

Abusing anyone for what they are wearing is absolutely wrong. Whether that be a burka or a miniskirt (except a city shirt. I reserve the right to chuck abuse at my fella when he's in a city shirt).

I'm a bit mixed on the burka itself. Im all for the freedom to wear what the fuck you want, as long as it's not forced on you by controlling cunts. And anything that lets you leave the house without brushing your hair or getting out of your PJs is fine by me!

I know that it's a bit of a stretch to make that comparison but I think that it's valid. I've heard Muslim women say that they wear some sort of veil or hair covering cloth (similar to orthodox Jews, Christians, Hilda Ogden and loads of women in the 70's IIRC) through choice rather than belief. Can't be arsed? Chuck on the burka, embrace and normalise this stuff, integration at it's best! :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

No, it isn't.

Young people now are the most tolerant, open minded and inclusive generation I've come across in my lifetime.

I'm a Gen X'er and they leave us in the dust...

That's because we brought them up right :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lambert » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm

You've got to be a bit of a cock to wolf whistle a stranger, let's be honest. Even if a woman is secretly flattered by it, she probably still thinks the bloke is a cock. I doubt many wedding stories start with "We first met when he wolf whistled me in the street..."
Lambert

Postby jp761 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
jp761 wrote: And I don't think the vast majority of people are so naive to think that wolf-whistling is the major or only form, of street harassment.

That's what I hope as well but it doesn't explain why people generally seem to get far more animated or passionate about the potential unfairness of criminalising wolf whistling but are content to remain silent of the problem of actual harassment (of varying levels).

That doesn't make much sense.
I think people like to talk at length about things they see as ridiculous and over-the-top. But many people will just keep it short and merely just use a choice word or two, to describe people who are found to have done something that they see as being well out of order.
jp761

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Stooo wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I know that it's a bit of a stretch to make that comparison but I think that it's valid. I've heard Muslim women say that they wear some sort of veil or hair covering cloth (similar to orthodox Jews, Christians, Hilda Ogden and loads of women in the 70's IIRC) through choice rather than belief. Can't be arsed? Chuck on the burka, embrace and normalise this stuff, integration at it's best! :mrgreen:

Honestly, I'd never have made the comparison myself, but once you mention it I can see it. I think my main issue with the burka is that it's an extension of the oppression and lack of rights women have in various Muslim countries. Although in the west I do believe the majority of women wear is by choice, and I'm totally behind a big "Fuck you" to anyone telling you not to wear something by wearing it more :gigglesnshit:
NastyNickers

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:27 pm

The day may well be near where you end up doing porridge.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms