Know anyone who has Lost Touch with Reality??

A right load of bollocks...

Know anyone who has Lost Touch with Reality??

Postby Trapper John » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:08 am

I was out with my youngest brother last week and we had a lunchtime meal in a Harvester. When the bill came up he said it was on him, though I tried to give him at least my half, he wouldn't have it.

Anyway, we'd been talking about the AA as we are both members and I told him we get a 20% discount in many restaurants including Harvester which he didn't know, so he redeemed it and I thought at least I'd contributed something, if not in actual cash.

I shouldn't have worried, in the car afterwards I asked him if the saving was worthwhile and he said yes, adding "shame I didn't get one the other night when we had a meal out"

He then tells me, he and his wife and another couple had a meal at a restaurant on the 'Embankment' the previous Sunday evening, the bill came to just over £700, he added that it was all really nice but he thought it was 'a bit steep.' :kinell:

Once I'd put my eyes back in my head and regained my power of speech, all that came out was an expletive. He went on that 'in hindsight' they should have ordered one of the 'set meals' at £115 per head because that included a bottle of wine with each course. I'd already guessed that the lions share of the bill would have been booze but nevertheless a £700 bill for four is not only way out of my league, I just couldn't justify it.

I think this brother of mine and his family have lost all touch with reality, on the Friday of this weekend I'm talking about, he'd already paid for a venue based 21st birthday party for one of his daughter's, bouncers extra.

Not only that, he'd taken delivery of a brand new £30,000 car a week earlier and on the Sunday of the meal, he'd driven up town and left it overnight in a suspended parking bay about 100 yards up the road from a big building site. :shake head:

Am I the only one to think they've lost their marbles, his family think it's normal behaviour which everyone does too? - maybe it is in the circles they move in now :dunno:

I suppose there might be a glimmer of hope for him, even what is left of the person he was still registered that a £700 meal for four was 'a bit steep' :roll:

PS. When I told my 89 year old Mum (in confidence of course) once it sunk in, the only thing she could say was "Well I think that is nothing short of obscene" ...... I have to agree.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Know anyone who has Lost Touch with Reality??

Postby Text » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 am

Trapper John wrote:... they've lost their marbles, ... ? -

Not, not if they're spending within their means. Their expenditure seems very high ... but why not, if their monthly disposable income is large enough to cope?
Can't take it wiv ya!
Text

Postby Lambert » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am

I don't see why him spending money that he can afford to spend means he's lost touch with reality. Just because you can't afford to match his spending doesn't mean that your life is somehow more 'real' than his.
Lambert

Postby Vam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am

:gigglesnshit: He probably ate at a Michelin Star restaurant, Traps. People will pay top dollar for that kind of 'exclusivity'.

Places will charge what people are prepared to pay. Why else do you think jewellers like Cartier, Tiffany, Harry Winston, or luxury brands like Vuitton, Prada and Hermès, do such a roaring trade?

Back in the day, hubs and me used to do Concorde to Barbados at Christmas, and once to New York. I'll never forget the thrill of that, and don't begrudge a single cent of what it cost.

I get that it may not be your thing - each to their own. But where's the harm in enjoying money? Provided you're not spending ill-gotten gains, but have earned it through sheer hard graft (with maybe a few lucky breaks along the way), and provided you're not drowning in a quagmire of debt, and provided you pay some back in the right places, and take care of your own - seriously, where the harm?

What's that old saying about "not taking it with you..."? :wink:
Vam

Postby Holly » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 am

Lambert wrote:I don't see why him spending money that he can afford to spend means he's lost touch with reality. Just because you can't afford to match his spending doesn't mean that your life is somehow more 'real' than his.

I'm with TJ on that one, I don't think £175 per per head for dinner is realistic, unless you're a millionaire or it's a special occasion....OK, fair enough, the Brother can do what he wants with his money, but that wasn't TJs objection anyway, nor did he criticise him, he just asked if we know anyone who has lost touch with reality like he thinks his Brother might have...keeping in mind, that he knows his Brother and his circumstances.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Text » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 am

Lambert wrote:I don't see why him spending money that he can afford to spend means he's lost touch with reality. Just because you can't afford to match his spending doesn't mean that your life is somehow more 'real' than his.

Ya. Everyone's reality is different, as simple as that.
More money falls down the back of the sofa, out of the back pocket of some 'minted' folks, per month ..... than some other folks earn all year.

In the food thread I mentioned that we were about to have a very simple meal at home and someone said "why don't you push the boat out a bit"
Well sometimes we DO push the boat out.
Other times we look at the flippin' boat and think "it can stay right where it is, tonight."
... :pmsl:
Text

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 am

Trapper John wrote:
PS. When I told my 89 year old Mum (in confidence of course) once it sunk in, the only thing she could say was "Well I think that is nothing short of obscene" ...... I have to agree.

I think your dear old Mum is quite right. It is obscene.

Check out this article in today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/shortcuts/2017/oct/17/the-big-money-question-would-you-quit-work-for-1m

The 16 year needs £8m to retire. The financial "professional" *cough* needs £30m - £50m.

These people are flaming lunatics.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Vam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:04 am

Holly wrote:

I'm with TJ on that one, I don't think £175 per per head for dinner is realistic, unless you're a millionaire or it's a special occasion....OK, fair enough, the Brother can do what he wants with his money, but that wasn't TJs objection anyway, nor did he criticise him, he just asked if we know anyone who has lost touch with reality like he thinks his Brother might have...keeping in mind, that he knows his Brother and his circumstances.

Maybe it was a special occasion? I would imagine it's not the kind of thing most people would do regularly, because that would diminish the appeal, I guess.

I bet TJ's brother was just as happy to have lunch at a Harvester restaurant :thumbsup:
Vam

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 am

Vam wrote::gigglesnshit: He probably ate at a Michelin Star restaurant, Traps. People will pay top dollar for that kind of 'exclusivity'.

Places will charge what people are prepared to pay. Why else do you think jewellers like Cartier, Tiffany, Harry Winston, or luxury brands like Vuitton, Prada and Hermès, do such a roaring trade?

Back in the day, hubs and me used to do Concorde to Barbados at Christmas, and once to New York. I'll never forget the thrill of that, and don't begrudge a single cent of what it cost.

I get that it may not be your thing - each to their own. But where's the harm in enjoying money? Provided you're not spending ill-gotten gains, but have earned it through sheer hard graft (with maybe a few lucky breaks along the way), and provided you're not drowning in a quagmire of debt, and provided you pay some back in the right places, and take care of your own - seriously, where the harm?

What's that old saying about "not taking it with you..."? :wink:

OMG, just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any more delusional, you prove me wrong :pmsl:

:fantasy:

Postby Vam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:07 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/shortcuts/2017/oct/17/the-big-money-question-would-you-quit-work-for-1m

The 16 year needs £8m to retire. The financial "professional" *cough* needs £30m - £50m.

Ah well, that's me endearing myself to this forum - again! :gigglesnshit:
Vam

Postby Vam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 am

Guest wrote:OMG, just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any more delusional, you prove me wrong :pmsl:

:fantasy:

Believe whatever makes you happy :dunno: :cuppaT:
Vam

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 am

Vam wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Ha!

I guess the concept of value or getting ripped off is ingrained in my psyche. I don't think any meal is worth hundreds of pounds no matter the skill or artistry that goes into it.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Vam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:15 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Vam wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Ha!

I guess the concept of value or getting ripped off is ingrained in my psyche. I don't think any meal is worth hundreds of pounds no matter the skill or artistry that goes into it.

:wink: I really do get that. For me, eating out is all about the company anyway - whether it's Michelin or Maccy D.
Vam

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 am

Vam wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Vam wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Ha!

:wink: I really do get that. For me, eating out is all about the company anyway - whether it's Michelin or Maccy D.

Sure, I didn't mean to come across as overly judgmental.

I've been in a reflective mood about wealth and what's truly important to me in recent times.

For several months now I've been thinking of buying a luxury watch. Either a PP or a VC. I've always loved automatic watches and said when I made it I would buy one to last a lifetime. When it came to the crunch I couldn't do it even though I can afford it. It's just an object. The things that really bring me happiness and fulfillment, without meaning to sound saccharine, are love and other people - specifically my family.

My parents were both working class and worked so incredibly hard and sacrificed so very much to allow me and my sister to come up in the world. I feel on a deep level that it would be an insult to their legacy to lose touch of where I came from and what they taught me.

Obviously, this is personal to me and I'm not saying it's the way everyone should approach life. Sometimes though I see this obsession with wealth that society is fixated upon and I just shake my head.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Text » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Ha!

Well not getting ripped off in any sphere of life is just good old fashioned common sense. If the raw ingredients cost around £20, why pay for a 500% markup - unless it's a really special occasion?

Then again people are free to do what they want with their hard earned dosh, so I cannot blame anyone for wanting to treat themselves as often as they wish.
(eta: the ''boat'' I mentioned earlier was strictly in a figure of speech sense, just to clarify.).

Have a good day AB, and all! :Hiya:
Text

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms