Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Big Threads

Re: Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 am

Sunny wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I underestimated the reach of petro dollar waving arms as Manchester City get one of the two prize picks in the Champions league draw.

Along with Besiktas, Basel is the nearest thing you can get to a bye into the quarter finals. Unsurprisingly, the ageing Bayern Munich were given the Turks to keep German interest going for as long as possible.

Liverpool were treated kindly with a barely more difficult tie in the shape of Porto, likewise Manchester United with their draw against a very poor Seville.

Spurs will thank their lucky stars that Juventus aren't the all conquering Italian giants they were last season, sweeping all before them in Serie A and reaching the CL final. Since those heady days, they've struggled domestically, currently 3rd behind Inter and Napoli and made a meal of finishing second in their group.

Chelsea drew the short straw with Barcelona, probably one of the two ties of this round, with Real Madrid v PSG the other.

I have to say though, one of the English clubs has a better chance of collecting the trophy this season than they have for a very long while, the European clubs on show now are not a patch on the sides they were, even a year ago let alone the last 5 years when they were at their peaks.

LOL we both posted about CL at the same time... :laughing:

Yeah, like I said you're lucky Juventus are a shadow of the team they were last season, as long as you don't get overawed by their reputation you should get through that one without too much trouble.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 am

Vam supports Juventus, i wouldn't diss them too much.

After all they made the final last year.

:thumbsup:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:00 am

I had to laugh at the English fans who were dissing Liverpool and were shut up quickly, when it was pointed out they've won more European trophies than the other four English teams combined.

:header:
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

Vicks wrote:Vam supports Juventus, i wouldn't diss them too much.

Which is why I said what I did. :roll:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am

Vicks wrote:I had to laugh at the English fans who were dissing Liverpool and were shut up quickly, when it was pointed out they've won more European trophies than the other four English teams combined.

Only once though in the modern era, ie Premier league since 1992.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:51 am

Ostersunds replied to Arsenal FC's tweet after the draw 'See you soon' with 'See you at the Jamtkraft arena in February. Make sure Wenger has fixed his jacket it's going to be cold in Ostersund' referring to the eternal struggle Wenger keeps having with the zip on his long coat.

Some more snippets about Ostersund:

The temperatures in the Ostersund area routinely drop to around -7.5 degrees in February and the Jamtkraft arena holds 8,644 thats a little more than half the size of the Premier league's smallest ground, Bournemouth's Vitality Stadium. Ostersund came into existence in 1996 the same year Wenger took over at Arsenal.

Should be an interesting night all round.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 am

When looking at the deatils of Ostersuds draw at Hertha Berlin which got them through to the next stages, I noticed that Hertha Berlin's goalkeeper is one 'Jonathan Klinnsman' ....... wonder if he's related?

Just answered my own question with a rare 'google'

Jonathan Klinnsman is in fact Jurgen's son and is listed as an American.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:10 am

Trapper John wrote:

Oh so you watch what you say about Juventus, but it's a free for all, when it comes to Rangers.

Charming!!

:dafinger:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am

Rangers and Juventus have a close friendship.

It all started when Rangers gave the Italian lads the keys to Murray Park to train for their game against Celtic.

It pissed the Celtic fans off big time.

Vicky

Postby Sunny » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 am

Trapper John wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I underestimated the reach of petro dollar waving arms as Manchester City get one of the two prize picks in the Champions league draw.

Along with Besiktas, Basel is the nearest thing you can get to a bye into the quarter finals. Unsurprisingly, the ageing Bayern Munich were given the Turks to keep German interest going for as long as possible.

Liverpool were treated kindly with a barely more difficult tie in the shape of Porto, likewise Manchester United with their draw against a very poor Seville.

Spurs will thank their lucky stars that Juventus aren't the all conquering Italian giants they were last season, sweeping all before them in Serie A and reaching the CL final. Since those heady days, they've struggled domestically, currently 3rd behind Inter and Napoli and made a meal of finishing second in their group.

Chelsea drew the short straw with Barcelona, probably one of the two ties of this round, with Real Madrid v PSG the other.

I have to say though, one of the English clubs has a better chance of collecting the trophy this season than they have for a very long while, the European clubs on show now are not a patch on the sides they were, even a year ago let alone the last 5 years when they were at their peaks.

LOL we both posted about CL at the same time... :laughing:

Yeah, like I said you're lucky Juventus are a shadow of the team they were last season, as long as you don't get overawed by their reputation you should get through that one without too much trouble.

Oh believe me TJ, they will give it all, they love the CL they rate it above their own league.....and to come to Wembley will be glorious for them to give it all......sigh! lol.....But we have got more courage now since beating RM....so hopefully we will be ok and get something out of it. But Man united are lucky for getting Seville and lets face it, they didn't finish top 4 last season but via Europa league, so maybe your lot might do the same if you don't finish top 4. I will say good luck anyway as I might not like your team BUT I like you hun. xx (So go easy on me if we lose to Juventus). :shame:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 am

Finally a bit more about the fantastic achievements of Graham Potter and his No.2 Billy Reid.

This pair have been together since 2013, when Reid a Scotsman who has played for QotS, Clyde, Hamilton Accies and Stirling, joined Potter. Reid went on to manage Clyde and Hamilton and was awarded PFA Scottish manager of the year, when he won promotion with Hamilton.

He then joined Potter at Ostersund and they have never looked back. Reid in fact, has totally immersed himself in Swedish culture and spends his free time in the local performing arts scene.

When Potter took over at Ostersund in 2011, they were bottom of the Swedish 4th division (I'm not sure if it gets any lower than that) so in 6 years he has taken them from obscurity to the top Swedish division the Allsvenskan where they currently lie 5th and on to European football. This tie against Arsenal has already written them into Swedish footballing folklore, they hope to make it European folklore too by beating them.

When interviewed after the draw yesterday Potter said: "It's a fantastic draw, I wanted to get a really big team and they don't come much bigger than Arsenal." He went on "I think it is really cool to be going home to England and meeting one of the best teams in the Premier League. Now we really are the underdogs."

If I wasn't an Arsenal supporter I'd be rooting for them, I love these sort of stories, they are straight out of Roy of the Rovers type fantasy and remind us of what football is really all about.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:39 am

Vicks wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Oh so you watch what you say about Juventus, but it's a free for all, when it comes to Rangers.

Charming!!

:dafinger:

Typical Scottish 'chip on the shoulder' bollocks :roll:

Which is why I said they aren't the same team as last season, when the reached the CL final. Stop inventing prejudice when it doesn't exist. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:42 am

Sunny wrote: I will say good luck anyway as I might not like your team BUT I like you hun. xx (So go easy on me if we lose to Juventus). :shame:

Nope! :snooty:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 am

Trapper John wrote:
Sunny wrote: I will say good luck anyway as I might not like your team BUT I like you hun. xx (So go easy on me if we lose to Juventus). :shame:

Nope! :snooty:

Well that post of mine worked a treat to butter you up! :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Its ok TJ, we will mow them down anyway! :thumbsup:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Vicky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:16 am

Screen-Shot-2017-12-11-at-175342.png

Pedro Caixinha has fallen out with the players of his new club after just one day in charge.

I'm starting to think Pedro is a bit of a troublemaker.

Vicky

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive