Rainbow Laces? - When in Rome I say

A right load of bollocks...

Rainbow Laces? - When in Rome I say

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:17 am

Some might be aware that there is a Football World Cup next summer to be held in Russia.

Now the Foreign Office, the British Embassy in Moscow and the Russians themselves have gone to great pains to state that visiting supporters will receive a warm welcome, help and respect as long as they obey the laws of the country.

That sounds fair enough and even though we in the UK don't expect our foreign visitors to obey our laws and in fact allow them to bring their own from overseas with them, it's a reasonable request.

Like pretty much every country on Earth, except here of course, where a loud minority of the country think everyone is the same, they have different ideas about certain things and matters.

One Russian law states that it is illegal to 'promote' homosexuality in front of or to children. Now that isn't an unreasonable law you'd think and probably wouldn't cause much concern until you take into account the 'Rainbow Laces' and 'Football is for Everyone' crusades run by interested parties in and out of the LGBT universe.

Although both of these organisations have been going for some time, neither has been afforded much interest outside their own narrow fields, until now. There is a definite increase in their exposure of late and I'm sure it will continue to gain pace as the finals draw closer.

I believe this is being done intentionally so as to cause provocation and anti Russian feeling before and during the finals. Demonstrations whether organised or individual shows of 'queerness' are not going to go down well with our hosts, something the LGBT brigade and their supporters will be well aware of and in fact will count on so they can promote their particular abberation of nature to a wider audience.

Football is a traditional sport, which in this and many other countries is a national icon, we don't need it to be hijacked by a minority of people with cross wiring to use it as a way of promoting their oddities and causing trouble in a country that doesn't happen to think they are as special as they think they are.

Russians don't want homosexuality or any other abnormal sexual persuasion promoted outwardly in their country, that should be respected even if it's only for a month.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Rainbow Laces? - When in Rome I say

Postby Dean » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:41 am

I think you may have a point. Knowing how Russia treats the LGBT community, it would be sensible to let them have their World Cup in peace. They could even protest before and after the tournament. I know protests are about highlighting and changing the opinion/view of someone, but I really don’t see the point concerning Russia.
Dean

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:51 am

I don't think that football matches are the place to be making political statements really. If people don't like the laws in Russia, they shouldn't go there, otherwise they might be seen to be condoning them.
Raggamuffin

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 pm

I don't believe it's just LGBT activists either who will use this event to their advantage.

I am sure they will be 'used' as much as 'use themselves' to promote anti Russian feelings by people who have little interest in the LGBT cause.

There is an increasing global dislike of Putin's Russia, in particular in Europe we've seen growing antagonism towards them which has grown even more prominent since the annexation of the Crimea and continuing conflict in the Ukraine.

I fear the 2018 World Cup will be used to score political points and for whipping up anti Russian feeling based on one of the liberal luvvies favourite causes, the acceptance of the LGBT communities.

To be honest, I reckon you could count the number of LGBT football enthusiasts on the fingers of one hand, so why do we always have to give minorities, grossly over inflated prominence when it really isn't warranted or necessary? :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:35 pm

It's nothing new though

the sporting boycott of South Africa as a protest against apartheid went a long way to furthering the cause, sport does not stand outside human rights nor should it

however you should pick your battles wisely
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:22 pm

What a surprise!!

Paper boy's a homophobe as well as a racist.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:31 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:It's nothing new though

the sporting boycott of South Africa as a protest against apartheid went a long way to furthering the cause, sport does not stand outside human rights nor should it

From where I was sitting it did fuck all to be honest, sporting links being reinstated later was only due to the political climate being change by purely political means.

I don't think FW De Klerk sat down one day and said, "I gotta sort this mess out, I mean we don't get to play cricket against decent opposition anymore"
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Trapper John wrote:

From where I was sitting it did fuck all to be honest, sporting links being reinstated later was only due to the political climate being change by purely political means.

I don't think FW De Klerk sat down one day and said, "I gotta sort this mess out, I mean we don't get to play cricket against decent opposition anymore"

It brought it to the attention of people via the sporting world, or do you think the policy changed from the goodness of the ruling party's heart?

come on TJ you're clearly not this thick
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 pm

"One Russian law states that it is illegal to 'promote' homosexuality in front of or to children. Now that isn't an unreasonable law you'd think and probably wouldn't cause much concern until you take into account the 'Rainbow Laces' and 'Football is for Everyone' crusades run by interested parties in and out of the LGBT universe"

Sorry, what am I missing here? I fail to see how or why anyone within the World Cup footballing community would dream of trying to 'promote' their sexuality to Russian children :dunno:

Again, apologies if I'm not in the loop on this, but are you saying the 2 organisations you've mentioned are now actively encouraging a boycott of the tournament?

If so, then I agree with HF about picking your battles wisely.
Vam

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Guest wrote:What a surprise!!

Paper boy's a homophobe as well as a racist.

Where's the homophobia? :dunno:

Do you mean that it's because I haven't mentioned the LGBT's with glowing admiration or a sense of pride? - well sorry I just think that for the most part, they are the same as anyone else only nature wired them up wrong, it's not their fault. So they deserve no more plaudits than the next man, woman or whatever.

The problem with twats like you is that 'YOU' make them different by demanding they receive special treatment, not anyone else. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:52 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

It brought it to the attention of people via the sporting world, or do you think the policy changed from the goodness of the ruling party's heart?

I can assure you I'm not thick. :thumbsup:

Sporting boycotts did nothing, full stop! - Sun City was a thriving centre of world sports from darts to snooker to cricketers taking the coin to play there.

I am old enough to know that that every news programme for 20 years or more carried some story about South Africa, Rhodesia and apartheid almost daily - so to suggest 'Sport' brought it to anyones attention is just fucking ridiculous. :roll:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:57 pm

From Amnesty International UK

New laws heavily restrict efforts by the LGBTI community to fight for equal rights. In 2012, a Moscow Court banned Gay Pride for 100 years, despite the European Court of Human Rights declaring Pride bans in Moscow illegal just two years earlier.

Russian states have all implemented legislation outlawing 'propoganda of non-traditional sexual relations', an all-pervasive law that effectively stops teachers saying that being homosexual is as normal as bring heterosexual, and stops teenagers from seeking help and advice from sexual health clinics.

If you support that then fair enough, but I wonder how a gay footballer might feel?
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Trapper John wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

I can assure you I'm not thick. :thumbsup:

Sporting boycotts did nothing, full stop! - Sun City was a thriving centre of world sports from darts to snooker to cricketers taking the coin to play there.

I am old enough to know that that every news programme for 20 years or more carried some story about South Africa, Rhodesia and apartheid almost daily - so to suggest 'Sport' brought it to anyones attention is just fucking ridiculous. :roll:

you need to familiarise yourself with the D'Oliveira scandal - then maybe we can talk some more
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Vam wrote:"One Russian law states that it is illegal to 'promote' homosexuality in front of or to children. Now that isn't an unreasonable law you'd think and probably wouldn't cause much concern until you take into account the 'Rainbow Laces' and 'Football is for Everyone' crusades run by interested parties in and out of the LGBT universe"

Sorry, what am I missing here? I fail to see how or why anyone within the World Cup footballing community would dream of trying to 'promote' their sexuality to Russian children :dunno:

Again, apologies if I'm not in the loop on this, but are you saying the 2 organisations you've mentioned are now actively encouraging a boycott of the tournament?

If so, then I agree with HF about picking your battles wisely.

I'm not suggesting they would try to get it 'boycotted' they'd have little or no success anyway.

What I'm saying is if they think that can mince around Russia in their best 'Gay Pride' garb, they are going to get arrested.

I'm suggesting that is exactly what some might do to show Russia as a ruthless, backward and intolerant police state, likely followed by hand picked members of the world media keen to show it's viewers the Russian's 'outrageous' actions. Be sure, there will be many who travel who will have no interest in football whatsoever. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Dean » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:07 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:From Amnesty International UK

New laws heavily restrict efforts by the LGBTI community to fight for equal rights. In 2012, a Moscow Court banned Gay Pride for 100 years, despite the European Court of Human Rights declaring Pride bans in Moscow illegal just two years earlier.

Russian states have all implemented legislation outlawing 'propoganda of non-traditional sexual relations', an all-pervasive law that effectively stops teachers saying that being homosexual is as normal as bring heterosexual, and stops teenagers from seeking help and advice from sexual health clinics.

If you support that then fair enough, but I wonder how a gay footballer might feel?

I don’t think there is a famous player that has actually come as gay yet. I’m not saying there isn’t any gay footballers, I’m pretty sure there are. Sadly, football and it’s culture is still in the dark ages when it comes to homosexuality, hence why no footballers have come out of the closet...
Dean

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms