A right load of bollocks...

Re: Rainbow Laces? - When in Rome I say

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:It's nothing new though

the sporting boycott of South Africa as a protest against apartheid went a long way to furthering the cause, sport does not stand outside human rights nor should it

however you should pick your battles wisely

From where I was sitting it did fuck all to be honest, sporting links being reinstated later was only due to the political climate being change by purely political means.

I don't think FW De Klerk sat down one day and said, "I gotta sort this mess out, I mean we don't get to play cricket against decent opposition anymore"

It brought it to the attention of people via the sporting world, or do you think the policy changed from the goodness of the ruling party's heart?

come on TJ you're clearly not this thick

I can assure you I'm not thick. :thumbsup:

Sporting boycotts did nothing, full stop! - Sun City was a thriving centre of world sports from darts to snooker to cricketers taking the coin to play there.

I am old enough to know that that every news programme for 20 years or more carried some story about South Africa, Rhodesia and apartheid almost daily - so to suggest 'Sport' brought it to anyones attention is just fucking ridiculous. :roll:

you need to familiarise yourself with the D'Oliveira scandal - then maybe we can talk some more

I know all about Dolly's exclusion from the England test cricket squad. It was an incident thats all and had no bearing on the politics of South Africa nor did it make anyone 'more' aware than they already were.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Dean wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:From Amnesty International UK

New laws heavily restrict efforts by the LGBTI community to fight for equal rights. In 2012, a Moscow Court banned Gay Pride for 100 years, despite the European Court of Human Rights declaring Pride bans in Moscow illegal just two years earlier.

Russian states have all implemented legislation outlawing 'propoganda of non-traditional sexual relations', an all-pervasive law that effectively stops teachers saying that being homosexual is as normal as bring heterosexual, and stops teenagers from seeking help and advice from sexual health clinics.

If you support that then fair enough, but I wonder how a gay footballer might feel?

I don’t think there is a famous player that has actually come as gay yet. I’m not saying there isn’t any gay footballers, I’m pretty sure there are. Sadly, football and it’s culture is still in the dark ages when it comes to homosexuality, hence why no footballers have come out of the closet...

...apart from Justin Fashnau years back. Look at how that ended :shake head:
Vam

Postby Stooo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Dean wrote:

New laws heavily restrict efforts by the LGBTI community to fight for equal rights. In 2012, a Moscow Court banned Gay Pride for 100 years, despite the European Court of Human Rights declaring Pride bans in Moscow illegal just two years earlier.

Russian states have all implemented legislation outlawing 'propoganda of non-traditional sexual relations', an all-pervasive law that effectively stops teachers saying that being homosexual is as normal as bring heterosexual, and stops teenagers from seeking help and advice from sexual health clinics.

If you support that then fair enough, but I wonder how a gay footballer might feel?

I don’t think there is a famous player that has actually come as gay yet. I’m not saying there isn’t any gay footballers, I’m pretty sure there are. Sadly, football and it’s culture is still in the dark ages when it comes to homosexuality, hence why no footballers have come out of the closet...

Justin Fashanu?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Vam wrote:
Dean wrote:

...apart from Justin Fashnau years back. Look at how that ended :shake head:

How did it end? ...... You mean being accused of sexually molesting a young bloke against his will and topping himself before he got extradited back to the US from where he had fled?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Trapper John wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
you need to familiarise yourself with the D'Oliveira scandal - then maybe we can talk some more

I know all about Dolly's exclusion from the England test cricket squad. It was an incident thats all and had no bearing on the politics of South Africa nor did it make anyone 'more' aware than they already were.

oh

you clearly asked everyone
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Dean » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Stooo wrote:
Dean wrote:

Justin Fashanu?

I meant in today’s game, but yeah he was gay. He was mercifully hounded on and off the pitch for being gay. He ended up killing himself as I’m sure you’re aware. Why would a footballer earning good money want to put himself through that hassle whilst he was still Playing?
Dean

Postby Lambert » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Trapper John wrote:One Russian law states that it is illegal to 'promote' homosexuality in front of or to children. Now that isn't an unreasonable law you'd think

Really? You're smart enough to know that 'promoting homosexuality to children' is how homophobes and religious nutjobs like to characterise 'informing and educating children about homosexuality', and I hope you would agree that making it illegal to educate children (of an appropriate age) about homosexuality is unreasonable.
Lambert

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:29 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

oh

you clearly asked everyone

Televisions were pretty common even then and with no such thing as an internet, it was TV news and the rags where people got almost all of their news. If you deny that South Africa/Rhodesia didn't feature across those platforms almost daily, for decades then you weren't there as they say. :thumbsup:

I was just a kid and it's imprinted on my mind.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Lambert wrote:
Trapper John wrote:One Russian law states that it is illegal to 'promote' homosexuality in front of or to children. Now that isn't an unreasonable law you'd think

Really? You're smart enough to know that 'promoting homosexuality to children' is how homophobes and religious nutjobs like to characterise 'informing and educating children about homosexuality', and I hope you would agree that making it illegal to educate children (of an appropriate age) about homosexuality is unreasonable.

What? say that again without the cobblers. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Lambert » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:03 pm

Oh, perhaps you're not smart enough after all. Or just avoiding the question - which, to be fair, you wouldn't do if you were smart enough to answer in a way that didn't make you look bad. Never mind, TJ .

*pats you on the head*
Lambert

Postby megaera » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 pm

What does 'promoting homosexuality to children' mean?
megaera

Postby Dean » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:37 pm

megaera wrote:What does 'promoting homosexuality to children' mean?

I think it means letting your kid listen to Justin Beiber... :dunno:
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:17 pm

I don't know I'm not a Russian lawmaker but I assume it means anything from teaching in schools that homosexuality is a normal state of the human condition to parading in public in an outwardly 'gay' manner where children might observe and ask questions. :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby HobbitFeet » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:21 pm

I quoted this earlier Meg

it's directly from Amnesty International

HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:

I quoted this earlier Meg

it's directly from Amnesty International

Thats an odd consequence of the law, why would it stop teenagers seeking advice at sexual health clinics? :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms