A Single Moment in Time - A Personal Childhood Memory

A right load of bollocks...

Re: A Single Moment in Time - A Personal Childhood Memory

Postby Stooo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Trapper John wrote:
McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
wutang wrote:During a family holiday in Bridlington back in the late 80's (i must have been 6 or 7 at the time) I woke up late and found that Dad had already gone to the beach with my brother and sister. Mum had stayed behind to allow me a lie in because she didnt want to wake me (we had stayed up late the night before as my cousin was babysitting). I just remember it being a lovely sunny morning, my mum being in a good mood, and having scrambled eggs for breakfast before setting off to the beach.

In hindsight a pretty mundane event but one that has stuck with me for 30 years and one that I will no doubt remember for the rest of my life.

All the best memories are mundane and unremarkable. You just reminded me of a holiday at Jaywick Sands in Essex. A six strong family in a 'Chalet' which was little more than 15ft x 15ft beach hut. Slot telly which ate 'two bob bits' like pringles and running around on 'beaches' which were in fact no more than Thames Estuary mud, we didn't know or care.

And watching my first girlfriend play with her family, totally unaware that she was my girlfriend at all. :bawlin:

Oh yes, I loved Jaywick as a kid - we stayed in a caravan though. There was those side by side 4 wheeled bikes, pie and mash, and St Osyth nearby for that seemingly obligatory posh day out. Other highlights, if my Mum was flush, included a day visit to Clacton Butlins and the pier which had wooden roller coaster.

Where Wu went in Bridders there is a nearby area which is not dissimilar - Hornsea/Skipsea.

Jeez I forgot completely about those side by side bikes, we raced them around the caravan site where we'd hired them, two of us against the other two. :laughing: I wasn't quite tall enough to sit and reach the pedals at the same time and slipped between the bloody things many times, as did my youngest brother. Thing was when I think about it we could have got hideous injuries but no-one seemed to care in those days, the days when if you got hurt your parents would tell you off rather than pet you and show sympathy.

Those peeled off toenails *shudder* :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Trapper John wrote:
McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
wutang wrote:During a family holiday in Bridlington back in the late 80's (i must have been 6 or 7 at the time) I woke up late and found that Dad had already gone to the beach with my brother and sister. Mum had stayed behind to allow me a lie in because she didnt want to wake me (we had stayed up late the night before as my cousin was babysitting). I just remember it being a lovely sunny morning, my mum being in a good mood, and having scrambled eggs for breakfast before setting off to the beach.

In hindsight a pretty mundane event but one that has stuck with me for 30 years and one that I will no doubt remember for the rest of my life.

All the best memories are mundane and unremarkable. You just reminded me of a holiday at Jaywick Sands in Essex. A six strong family in a 'Chalet' which was little more than 15ft x 15ft beach hut. Slot telly which ate 'two bob bits' like pringles and running around on 'beaches' which were in fact no more than Thames Estuary mud, we didn't know or care.

And watching my first girlfriend play with her family, totally unaware that she was my girlfriend at all. :bawlin:

Oh yes, I loved Jaywick as a kid - we stayed in a caravan though. There was those side by side 4 wheeled bikes, pie and mash, and St Osyth nearby for that seemingly obligatory posh day out. Other highlights, if my Mum was flush, included a day visit to Clacton Butlins and the pier which had wooden roller coaster.

Where Wu went in Bridders there is a nearby area which is not dissimilar - Hornsea/Skipsea.

Jeez I forgot completely about those side by side bikes, we raced them around the caravan site where we'd hired them, two of us against the other two. :laughing: I wasn't quite tall enough to sit and reach the pedals at the same time and slipped between the bloody things many times, as did my youngest brother. Thing was when I think about it we could have got hideous injuries but no-one seemed to care in those days, the days when if you got hurt your parents would tell you off rather than pet you and show sympathy.

I'd give my proverbial right one to be back there again. :bawlin:

And you're right...

...I was constantly bullied by some twat until one day I fought back. He went wailing to his Ma who went wailing to mine and it was me who was punished for causing her bother. Grazes, cuts, running into lamposts etc meant nothing to that generation unless you ripped your clothes in the process. :laughing:
McAz

Postby Vam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 am

Guest wrote:I think it would be When my dad made me start the car engine for him for the first time when he was sorting a car, he was under the bonnet shouting ....”right hen, start it...turn it aff, turn it aff” the smell of cars and just getting to kick about with my dad I will never forget it.

Or my mum putting her hand on my cheek when I was desperately ill, it’s the comfort in both the things I think . Makes me nearly cry to type it out :

Made me nearly cry, reading it! :ooer:
Vam

Postby Vam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 am

I love this thread :canny:
Vam

Postby Trapper John » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:39 am

McAz wrote: Grazes, cuts, running into lamposts etc meant nothing to that generation unless you ripped your clothes in the process. :laughing:

Yeah tell me about it. I remember slipping over in the school playground and taking the skin off my knees, making a couple of holes in my trousers in the process. Did I get an earful when I got home, always ending with 'money doesn't grow on trees you know' by which you knew you'd be spending the rest of the term with patches on the knees of the trousers.

As far as your injuries were concerned you either got a warm wet flannel to dab them with or if you'd made a big enough fuss, a lump of cotton wool with some TCP on it. :laughing:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Trapper John » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 am

That brings me to school uniforms, why did your mum always have to buy the things 3 sizes too big? ...... I mean on reflection you were never going to 'grow into them' because they'd be a mess of rags and patches halfway through the year. Mind you I suppose the one good thing about having 6in turn ups on you trousers, it provided your mum with plenty of repair material.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 am

Does anyone remember their dad putting cotton thread around your wobbly first teeth? always promising you that he wouldn't tug it until you were ready, then doing the exact opposite......and you fell for it every time. :oops:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby McAz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Trapper John wrote:
McAz wrote: Grazes, cuts, running into lamposts etc meant nothing to that generation unless you ripped your clothes in the process. :laughing:

Yeah tell me about it. I remember slipping over in the school playground and taking the skin off my knees, making a couple of holes in my trousers in the process. Did I get an earful when I got home, always ending with 'money doesn't grow on trees you know' by which you knew you'd be spending the rest of the term with patches on the knees of the trousers.

As far as your injuries were concerned you either got a warm wet flannel to dab them with or if you'd made a big enough fuss, a lump of cotton wool with some TCP on it. :laughing:

TCP? Clearly you were loved. I got neat Iodine - an act of pure spite which stung like merry hell. Soon learned to self medicate as in dock leaves on stinging nettle rashes. I'm revealing too much here, aren't I? :laughing:
McAz

Postby Gabby » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Trapper John wrote:Does anyone remember their dad putting cotton thread around your wobbly first teeth? always promising you that he wouldn't tug it until you were ready, then doing the exact opposite......and you fell for it every time. :oops:

NO!! :yikes: .... I'd have rang Childline! :kinell:
Gabby

Postby Nosyguest » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Trapper John wrote:Does anyone remember their dad putting cotton thread around your wobbly first teeth? always promising you that he wouldn't tug it until you were ready, then doing the exact opposite......and you fell for it every time. :oops:

And tying it to the door knob of an open door and then slamming it? :doomed:
Nosyguest

Postby Stooo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Trapper John wrote:

TCP? It stung like a bastard :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm

no seatbelts in the back of cars so you'd end up chinning the seat in front if the brakes went on sharpish.

Postby Stooo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Yeah, I remember.

The ones that followed are covered with tartar and tobacco residue now. :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 pm

if this thread had sound
it would be one of the hovis adverts
ffs..
:more beer:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby McAz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:if this thread had sound