A Single Moment in Time - A Personal Childhood Memory

A right load of bollocks...

Re: A Single Moment in Time - A Personal Childhood Memory

Postby McAz » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:
The only immutable thing is change itself - yes indeed - one reason why I rarely panic.

Slow and steady wins the race... :canny:

It's working so far - listen to them howl. :laughing:

Nobody could've predicted the DUP would be holding all the cards! :yikes:

True - but we best not throw this thread too off-course - you know how tetchy TJ gets now that he's in his dotage. :gigglesnshit:
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:11 pm

McAz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
McAz wrote:
The only immutable thing is change itself - yes indeed - one reason why I rarely panic.

Slow and steady wins the race... :canny:

It's working so far - listen to them howl. :laughing:

Nobody could've predicted the DUP would be holding all the cards! :yikes:

True - but we best not throw this thread too off-course - you know how tetchy TJ gets now that he's in his dotage. :gigglesnshit:

Oh shit, yeah. :doomed:
Lady Murasaki

Postby wutang » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:41 pm

During a family holiday in Bridlington back in the late 80's (i must have been 6 or 7 at the time) I woke up late and found that Dad had already gone to the beach with my brother and sister. Mum had stayed behind to allow me a lie in because she didnt want to wake me (we had stayed up late the night before as my cousin was babysitting). I just remember it being a lovely sunny morning, my mum being in a good mood, and having scrambled eggs for breakfast before setting off to the beach.

In hindsight a pretty mundane event but one that has stuck with me for 30 years and one that I will no doubt remember for the rest of my life.
wutang

Postby Stooo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Trapper John wrote:Please NO 'Do you remember Spangles' :shoot:

Do you have one which still brings warm feelings whenever you recall it from childhood, however many years later. The more mundane and ordinary the better, a moment which only you maybe would really understand why it felt special then and still special now.

Be as descriptive as you like if it helps to portray and relay the feeling to other readers, fuck the goldfishes in the TL;DR brigade. :dafinger:

Like I said, it's doesn't have to be a defining point in your life or an epic event after which nothing was ever the same. Just a memory of a moment in time when things were less complicated and aspirations less lofty, when simple things and feelings satisfied your 'soul' far more then, than anything the 24/7 'must have' culture of today could ever inspire.

Madeleine moments, I like it.

The smell of coal fires brings back the memory of sledging down Carshalton Park Road in a rare white Christmas in the early 70's.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Having a hot water bottle and an extra army coat on my bed in this kind of weather.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 am

Stooo wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Please NO 'Do you remember Spangles' :shoot:

Do you have one which still brings warm feelings whenever you recall it from childhood, however many years later. The more mundane and ordinary the better, a moment which only you maybe would really understand why it felt special then and still special now.

Be as descriptive as you like if it helps to portray and relay the feeling to other readers, fuck the goldfishes in the TL;DR brigade. :dafinger:

Like I said, it's doesn't have to be a defining point in your life or an epic event after which nothing was ever the same. Just a memory of a moment in time when things were less complicated and aspirations less lofty, when simple things and feelings satisfied your 'soul' far more then, than anything the 24/7 'must have' culture of today could ever inspire.

Madeleine moments, I like it.

The smell of coal fires brings back the memory of sledging down Carshalton Park Road in a rare white Christmas in the early 70's.

Ah yes! Coal fires (when Coke meant something completely different)........ nothing like that smell to to super charge the memory buds.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 am

wutang wrote:During a family holiday in Bridlington back in the late 80's (i must have been 6 or 7 at the time) I woke up late and found that Dad had already gone to the beach with my brother and sister. Mum had stayed behind to allow me a lie in because she didnt want to wake me (we had stayed up late the night before as my cousin was babysitting). I just remember it being a lovely sunny morning, my mum being in a good mood, and having scrambled eggs for breakfast before setting off to the beach.

In hindsight a pretty mundane event but one that has stuck with me for 30 years and one that I will no doubt remember for the rest of my life.

All the best memories are mundane and unremarkable. You just reminded me of a holiday at Jaywick Sands in Essex. A six strong family in a 'Chalet' which was little more than 15ft x 15ft beach hut. Slot telly which ate 'two bob bits' like pringles and running around on 'beaches' which were in fact no more than Thames Estuary mud, we didn't know or care.

And watching my first girlfriend play with her family, totally unaware that she was my girlfriend at all. :bawlin:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am

I think you can sum up this thread by saying that the things which made you happiest were those you found yourself, not the things you are told will.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Nosyguest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 am

One of my memories is similar to Vam's intact it involves Christmas and shoes (well boots). I would have been 7 or 8. It was 1970 or 71, the last time we had a proper white Christmas in the South. Woke up Christmas morning to the smell of the turkey cooking in the range( my mum always cooked it overnight that way) and unwrapping a pair of red knee high boots I'd been wanting. After breakfast going out for a walk through the snowy fields and the woods wearing them with my dad and my brothers and sister and the dogs while my mum prepared dinner in peace and quiet.
Nosyguest

Postby Markey mark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:28 am

Many childhood memory , one was I was about 7 years old , we were making parachutes out of black plastic bags , my brothers egged men on to jump out off the bedroom window with our own made parachute, like a idiot I did, landed like a sack of potatoes, and broke my leg , lesson learnt
Markey mark

Postby Vam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 am

Nosyguest wrote:One of my memories is similar to Vam's intact it involves Christmas and shoes (well boots). I would have been 7 or 8. It was 1970 or 71, the last time we had a proper white Christmas in the South. Woke up Christmas morning to the smell of the turkey cooking in the range( my mum always cooked it overnight that way) and unwrapping a pair of red knee high boots I'd been wanting. After breakfast going out for a walk through the snowy fields and the woods wearing them with my dad and my brothers and sister and the dogs while my mum prepared dinner in peace and quiet.

You describe your memory much better than I did, Guesty :smilin: That's lovely.
Vam

Postby McAz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Trapper John wrote:
wutang wrote:During a family holiday in Bridlington back in the late 80's (i must have been 6 or 7 at the time) I woke up late and found that Dad had already gone to the beach with my brother and sister. Mum had stayed behind to allow me a lie in because she didnt want to wake me (we had stayed up late the night before as my cousin was babysitting). I just remember it being a lovely sunny morning, my mum being in a good mood, and having scrambled eggs for breakfast before setting off to the beach.

All the best memories are mundane and unremarkable. You just reminded me of a holiday at Jaywick Sands in Essex. A six strong family in a 'Chalet' which was little more than 15ft x 15ft beach hut. Slot telly which ate 'two bob bits' like pringles and running around on 'beaches' which were in fact no more than Thames Estuary mud, we didn't know or care.

And watching my first girlfriend play with her family, totally unaware that she was my girlfriend at all. :bawlin:

Oh yes, I loved Jaywick as a kid - we stayed in a caravan though. There was those side by side 4 wheeled bikes, pie and mash, and St Osyth nearby for that seemingly obligatory posh day out. Other highlights, if my Mum was flush, included a day visit to Clacton Butlins and the pier which had wooden roller coaster.

Where Wu went in Bridders there is a nearby area which is not dissimilar - Hornsea/Skipsea.
McAz

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Aww scrambled egg and fish fingers with ketchup was one of our favourite 'English' dinners when we were little.

Dad took us everywhere when we were young, he had a proper adventurous spirit. Once we went to Alton Towers, I was asleep under a blanket so when it came time to pay at the entrance, back then it was entrance per person not car, I got in free which put everyone in a good mood for a great day out. Until my little sister locked herself in the toilets, she did that everywhere we went for a few years. I had to climb over a lot of toilet doors to get her out. :mrgreen:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 pm

I think it would be When my dad made me start the car engine for him for the first time when he was sorting a car, he was under the bonnet shouting ....”right hen, start it...turn it aff, turn it aff” the smell of cars and just getting to kick about with my dad I will never forget it.

Or my mum putting her hand on my cheek when I was desperately ill, it’s the comfort in both the things I think . Makes me nearly cry to type it out :

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm

McAz wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Oh yes, I loved Jaywick as a kid - we stayed in a caravan though. There was those side by side 4 wheeled bikes, pie and mash, and St Osyth nearby for that seemingly obligatory posh day out. Other highlights, if my Mum was flush, included a day visit to Clacton Butlins and the pier which had wooden roller coaster.

Where Wu went in Bridders there is a nearby area which is not dissimilar - Hornsea/Skipsea.

Jeez I forgot completely about those side by side bikes, we raced them around the caravan site where we'd hired them, two of us against the other two. :laughing: I wasn't quite tall enough to sit and reach the pedals at the same time and slipped between the bloody things many times, as did my youngest brother. Thing was when I think about it we could have got hideous injuries but no-one seemed to care in those days, the days when if you got hurt your parents would tell you off rather than pet you and show sympathy.
Trapper John
Gunner.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms